Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-17-2021, 01:10 PM
Havre de Grace

Default Linda Rice

Just read she got 3 year suspension and $50,000 fine. Seems harsh.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:42 PM
Oriental Park

I haven’t read all the facts but that seems like an absurdly long suspension.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:00 PM
Belmont Park

Fried Rice?
Old 05-17-2021, 03:11 PM
Keeneland

I don’t think it was harsh at all. She paid clerks to give her names and past performances of horses that were going to enter races that she was considering entering for YEARS.

She was cheating. This should be a deterrent to other trainers to not do the same thing.

If we are serious about seeing the game change for the better and the bettor, these kinds of people need to have the book thrown at them.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:20 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
I don’t think it was harsh at all. She paid clerks to give her names and past performances of horses that were going to enter races that she was considering entering for YEARS.

She was cheating. This should be a deterrent to other trainers to not do the same thing.

If we are serious about seeing the game change for the better and the bettor, these kinds of people need to have the book thrown at them.
I guess I don’t know enough about how the entries work but I sort of thought trainers had a general idea of what horses would be entering which races as it is. I know it’s the case for big races but assumed trainers sort of know for the smaller races as well. So it doesn’t seem like that big of a deal to me.

Generally, though, I agree that they should penalize trainers that don’t play by the rules and actually hold them accountable. There is a major lack of accountability for cheating trainers.. I do see that Baffert was also suspended by NYRA today though didn’t see the details on how long that will be.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:16 AM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post
I guess I don’t know enough about how the entries work but I sort of thought trainers had a general idea of what horses would be entering which races as it is. I know it’s the case for big races but assumed trainers sort of know for the smaller races as well. So it doesn’t seem like that big of a deal to me.
It's actually a huge deal. With cheaper horses, you are really trying to maximize each run because they run for less. You try to avoid certain horses, avoid the big owners dropping one in for the win toward the owners title at the end of meets, find races with small fields, etc. At many tracks, scratching will push you down the priority list for the next similar race, so knowing in advance is a huge advantage.

I've met her a couple of times and she has always been super nice, but very competitive. I knew people that had horses with her a long time ago.

In her defense, I would say her competitive nature coupled with a very tough industry to be a highly successful woman led to many of her decisions. I'm sure this will be appealed and I hope they treat her fairly. I'm no expert on what the punishment should be. Despite what may be dubious actions on her part, I think she is a very good trainer.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:03 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post

Exactly. It's tantamount to race fixing. She has an edge knowing class, running style, preferred surface, etc. of her competition before deciding which horses to enter where. It gave her an decisive advantage moving up horses as well.

It amazed me how she always seems to hit at like 40% for the first week or so at Saratoga - mystery solved.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:08 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoroughbred Fan View Post
It's actually a huge deal. With cheaper horses, you are really trying to maximize each run because they run for less. You try to avoid certain horses, avoid the big owners dropping one in for the win toward the owners title at the end of meets, find races with small fields, etc. At many tracks, scratching will push you down the priority list for the next similar race, so knowing in advance is a huge advantage.

I've met her a couple of times and she has always been super nice, but very competitive. I knew people that had horses with her a long time ago.

In her defense, I would say her competitive nature coupled with a very tough industry to be a highly successful woman led to many of her decisions. I'm sure this will be appealed and I hope they treat her fairly. I'm no expert on what the punishment should be. Despite what may be dubious actions on her part, I think she is a very good trainer.
Wha? The "She's just a girl" defense? It's 2021, bro. She knew exactly what she was doing. This is trite virtue signaling needs to stop.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:38 PM
Detroit Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmfhb411 View Post
it's too bad, because she's an obviously great horseperson
And a lousy actual person.
3 years too light.
Lifetime ban seems appropriate.
The game either has integrity or it doesn't.
I hear a lot diners can't find help.
I'm sure she could sling hash.
Old 05-18-2021, 01:41 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
And a lousy actual person.
3 years too light.
Lifetime ban seems appropriate.
The game either has integrity or it doesn't.
I hear a lot diners can't find help.
I'm sure she could sling hash.
Really? Sling hash? Have a heart. Ya think some of our "favorite" trainers never got a heads up on a horse entering or not?
Old 05-18-2021, 02:03 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:

Makes sense. I really just sort of assumed trainers knew this information just from people talking around the track but I guess that’s not the case.
Old 05-18-2021, 02:20 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
Wha? The "She's just a girl" defense? It's 2021, bro. She knew exactly what she was doing. This is trite virtue signaling needs to stop.
I’m sure that as a woman in a field dominated by men, she’s faced more than her fair share of obstacles over the years. But I’m not sure what it has to do with any of this.

Given the rampant drug use in the sport, I am curious if she was using the information to avoid “supertrainers,” which still wouldn’t make it right but would be understandable.
Old 05-18-2021, 02:31 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Given the rampant drug use in the sport, I am curious if she was using the information to avoid “supertrainers,” which still wouldn’t make it right but would be understandable.
Rice herself served a 30-day suspension and La Verdad was disqualified from a Grade 2 win the same year the horse won an Eclipse because of a medication violation.
Old 05-18-2021, 02:48 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Rice herself served a 30-day suspension and La Verdad was disqualified from a Grade 2 win the same year the horse won an Eclipse because of a medication violation.
I didn’t mean to imply that she has been totally clean. If I had to guess, one who cheats through one means is probably more likely to cheat via other means as well. Whatever gives them the edge. But I never got the sense that she was on the same level as some of the top cheats.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:23 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
I didn’t mean to imply that she has been totally clean. If I had to guess, one who cheats through one means is probably more likely to cheat via other means as well. Whatever gives them the edge. But I never got the sense that she was on the same level as some of the top cheats.
I never considered her an alchemist either
Old 05-19-2021, 11:24 AM
Detroit Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
Really? Sling hash? Have a heart. Ya think some of our "favorite" trainers never got a heads up on a horse entering or not?
Bottom line, she is a cheater and a thief.
Old 05-19-2021, 04:23 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
Bottom line, she is a cheater and a thief.
I don't know the facts, few do
Old 05-20-2021, 09:59 AM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Not at all. It's fact. She been in the game over 20 years. The fact that you can't accept that she faced bias is amazing tunnel vision. She still made bad decisions. I'm not a perfect person and I don't expect it from anyone else. Show some empathy and act like you have made mistakes before.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:22 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Not at all. It's fact. She been in the game over 20 years. The fact that you can't accept that she faced bias is amazing tunnel vision. She still made bad decisions. I'm not a perfect person and I don't expect it from anyone else. Show some empathy and act like you have made mistakes before.
Purposely cheating is not "making mistakes". It's premeditated race-fixing which has absolutely nothing to do with some perceived bias due to her tiddies and vag.

I do not have empathy for cheaters. You apparently do, as long as you can draw some inane assumption that she got picked on for being a female. That makes it all okay-dokey.

Ok, dude. You be you.
Old 05-20-2021, 12:03 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Purposely cheating is not "making mistakes". It's premeditated race-fixing which has absolutely nothing to do with some perceived bias due to her tiddies and vag.

I do not have empathy for cheaters. You apparently do, as long as you can draw some inane assumption that she got picked on for being a female. That makes it all okay-dokey.

Ok, dude. You be you.

Must be very comforting living in a world where everything is good or bad and black or white. Anyhoo in about a year or so perhaps the legal processes will resolve Linda Rice's issues.