Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-02-2008, 11:31 PM
Santa Anita

Default Bob Black Jack...

OK, so I was watching his last race live and my gut said "THERE IS YOUR DERBY HORSE". The horse has got a lot of fight in him. So he really is my gut pick of the race.

Other odd things?
1. Father in law's name was Bob. (For those who may not know, he passed away in December. Very hard on my hubby).
2. Hubby's fave gambling game? Black Jack. He is very good at it too.
3. Hubby and Brother in law's baseball numbers were ALWAYS #13. Their father coached them up to college.

OK, just Buffy's silly reasons for picking this horse. Maybe I just like Cali based horses who can run sprints but also seem to be able to get a distance...
Old 05-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffymommy
OK, so I was watching his last race live and my gut said "THERE IS YOUR DERBY HORSE". The horse has got a lot of fight in him. So he really is my gut pick of the race.

Other odd things?
1. Father in law's name was Bob. (For those who may not know, he passed away in December. Very hard on my hubby).
2. Hubby's fave gambling game? Black Jack. He is very good at it too.
3. Hubby and Brother in law's baseball numbers were ALWAYS #13. Their father coached them up to college.

OK, just Buffy's silly reasons for picking this horse. Maybe I just like Cali based horses who can run sprints but also seem to be able to get a distance...
I wish you luck with BBJ Buffy, and I'm sorry for your hubby's loss. Have a great Derby Day.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclem10011
I wish you luck with BBJ Buffy, and I'm sorry for your hubby's loss. Have a great Derby Day.
Thanks. Hubby and I had a really crappy ending to 2007 and 2008 didn't start off too well either. But things have been looking up and getting better. Just take things day by day. (Which is why I haven't been on the board much lately.)

If he wins, BBJ will have a fan for life!
Old 05-02-2008, 11:42 PM
Churchill Downs

I am not sure he will get the distance. His breeding says sprint but he has surprised me thus far because he sticks around. However Coast Guard stuck around also in the SA derby BUT Coast Gaurd ran back at hollywood in an allowance and flopped as the favorite.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:50 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by eajinabi
I am not sure he will get the distance. His breeding says sprint but he has surprised me thus far because he sticks around. However Coast Guard stuck around also in the SA derby BUT Coast Gaurd ran back at hollywood in an allowance and flopped as the favorite.

I liked that he went WIDE in the SA Derby and was up front on the pace and still dug down and fought at the end. I think the bity blinkers will help too.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Del Mar

And i say again, how can people love Colonel John at 4-1 and throw this guy out at 25-1?

BBJ ran arguably a better race in the santa anita.

Good luck with your pick.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:22 AM
The Curragh

I see he has Bertrando in his blood....he was no slouch at longer distances. Didn't Bertrando win a Pacific Classic???
Old 05-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Flemington

I think he has the least chance of winning.Tell me something.Did you actually look at his 2 route races,and think he has a shot to win a 10f race against the best 3 year olds in the country? Since they have such a hard-on to 2 turn with a gifted sprinter,then they should have tried to win the Calbred stakes last weekend.Sorry,but I despise people that force their animals to do stuff they aren't equipped to do. Both the routes he was in were slow- paced.I don't think that will happen tomorrow.Prepare to see him backing up.This is how horses get hurt(putting them in idiotic spots.)They don't deserve a good horse like this.I don't believe some of these people give a damn about their horse's well being.They just want "an experience."10f is not 9f.Tomorrow they get their due punishment for being stupid.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:49 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
I think he has the least chance of winning.Tell me something.Did you actually look at his 2 route races,and think he has a shot to win a 10f race against the best 3 year olds in the country? Since they have such a hard-on to 2 turn with a gifted sprinter,then they should have tried to win the Calbred stakes last weekend.Sorry,but I despise people that force their animals to do stuff they aren't equipped to do. Both the routes he was in were slow- paced.I don't think that will happen tomorrow.Prepare to see him backing up.This is how horses get hurt(putting them in idiotic spots.)They don't deserve a good horse like this.I don't believe some of these people give a damn about their horse's well being.They just want "an experience."10f is not 9f.Tomorrow they get their due punishment for being stupid.
And how good are the best three year olds in the country this year? The favorite is breaking from post 20, has run three times, has quarter cracks and is wearing front wraps.

The second choice has never run on dirt.

The third choice just stunk it up really bad in his last prep.

And the others? If you took out the names and threw them in a hat...they are all about the same horse.

He has the highest lifetime single race fig. That alone should merit consideration. He finished half a length behind the probable second choice in his last race and had a tougher trip.

Im not saying he is going to win but I disagree that it was stupid for them to take a shot.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:58 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
And how good are the best three year olds in the country this year? The favorite is breaking from post 20, has run three times, has quarter cracks and is wearing front wraps.

The second choice has never run on dirt.

The third choice just stunk it up really bad in his last prep.

And the others? If you took out the names and threw them in a hat...they are all about the same horse.

He has the highest lifetime single race fig. That alone should merit consideration. He finished half a length behind the probable second choice in his last race and had a tougher trip.

Im not saying he is going to win but I disagree that it was stupid for them to take a shot.
We don't have to wait very long to find out.He has the least chance to win though.If they make it concrete, he could get some part,but they will regret this whole thing.Makes me really appreciate others that didn't force their sprinters to go this direction.You keep saying he was close in his last race.This is a furlong longer(10f,)and he had nothing left to give at 9f.Exactly how many more lengths would he have lost by if he had gone 10f?
Old 05-03-2008, 01:31 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
We don't have to wait very long to find out.He has the least chance to win though.If they make it concrete, he could get some part,but they will regret this whole thing.Makes me really appreciate others that didn't force their sprinters to go this direction.You keep saying he was close in his last race.This is a furlong longer(10f,)and he had nothing left to give at 9f.Exactly how many more lengths would he have lost by if he had gone 10f?
its not like he was backing up in his last race. He ran his last eighth in less than 13 seconds after being on the pace the whole race through splits of 1:11 and !:35 and 2. Why was that bad? He ran 9 furlongs in 1:48.

I just dont see how he doesnt compare to just about every horse in the field. He was barely beaten by the second choice last out. I realize that it is an extra furlong but none of us know for sure what the pace scenario will be like until the gate opens.

He may finish dead last but it is the same shot that almost every other horse has. There are vanity entries but i dont see this as being one. Not the SA derby runner up. Not the horse with the highest lifetime beyer. If it were my horse and i had the money i would enter him. I bet most owners or trainers would.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:38 AM
Del Mar

There are much more viable longshots than BBJ. . .
Old 05-03-2008, 04:06 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315
There are much more viable longshots than BBJ. . .
im sure there are. who and why? Why are they so much more viable on paper than BBJ?

Im not saying he is the best horse in the race or even close. What i am saying is that i dont think the owners were wrong for sending him. He has a puncher's chance to at least grab a piece.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:58 AM
Santa Anita

A part of me will be rooting for him after seeing an interview yesterday on ESPN with the trainer. Small time guy who seems just like "one of us". I believe this is only his 5th horse to ever train, cost $25k and talk about lucky!! Takes most trainers YEARS if ever to get one that makes it this far. What a great story it will be and tears will be flowing for sure if this horse wins. Go "Bob"!!
Old 05-03-2008, 07:45 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:

You are entitled to your opinion, but so am I and I think you are wrong about BBJ. I guess we will find out today...

I did also put some $$ on Pyro and Cool Coal Man today. And before I saw the SA Derby, I wouldn't have put $$ on BBJ. But like I said when my gut tells me "DERBY HORSE", I have to atleast put a little money on him.

I may be wrong about him, but then again so may you. Atleast I am putting my thoughts out there. I may be eating some crow at my Derby party today, but I am hoping not.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:09 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
I agree. BBJ is a REALLY NICE HORSE, why break him trying to do something that is unlikely to be ideal for him??
Old 05-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Flemington

I just woke up,and saw that fake track.So,even BBJ can probably have a chance on that concrete stuff.I wouldn't play money on a track like that.Buffy,God must of heard ya beggin' cuz that's his kind of track.I won't rule anybody out that has speed.Maybe it will change in 4 and a half hours,but I wouldn't play a penny more than I have on the race.There were 4 or 5 who could get 10 f,and now they've included many more(that can get 10f on that track right now.) I wouldn't use him to win ,but he could get something minor if that track stays this way.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
I agree. BBJ is a REALLY NICE HORSE, why break him trying to do something that is unlikely to be ideal for him??
They let him go 47 his way,but he just isn't bred for this.If you're stupid enough to make him go through that ,then you don't deserve a nice horse like him.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Santa Anita

That track sucks. I'm not betting it again. Wouldn't be surprised if he pulled something during the race.

Last edited by sumitas : 05-03-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Santa Anita

That crow I was eating was might tastey...