Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
This sideshow appears to be nearing a merciful end. Widespread reports that they'll announce the SCR tomorrow...
How much will he be standing stud for?
Old 05-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
This sideshow appears to be nearing a merciful end. Widespread reports that they'll announce the SCR tomorrow...
Sadly that's what they turned this whole thing into. He should have just taken him out of consideration yesterday prior to entries being taken as it was pretty apparent the horse wasn't near 100% the entire week. The whole fiasco has been a joke since the Wood.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
This really sucks
Old 05-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
How much will he be standing stud for?
Said yesterday by me
Old 05-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35 View Post
Said yesterday by me
Oh. I don't normally read your posts, sorry.

I guess I really have lost my edge though, if I'm making really lame cracks like that.

It's my work, I tell you.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
Oh. I don't normally read your posts, sorry.

I guess I really have lost my edge though, if I'm making really lame cracks like that.

It's my work, I tell you.
Cripples beget cripples IC.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Not necessarily on Uncly Mo, but can anybody remember the last time a horse won the Derby without even making a single start as a 2YO?
Old 05-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
Not necessarily on Uncly Mo, but can anybody remember the last time a horse won the Derby without even making a single start as a 2YO?
Apollo in 1882.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Idlewild Airport

New quote

“I hope it’s an easy decision where all four of them say, ‘Let’s go,’ or all four say, ‘No go,’” he said. “… If Todd says no, I say no. If Todd says yes, I say yes. If three vets say yes and Todd says no, I say no.

Got that fools!
Old 05-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Hawthorne

How screwed is Johnny V being in the hip pocket of this camp, first R Heat Lightening out right before the Oaks, and now about to lose Uncle Mo, he'd probably do better freelancing.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Oaklawn

While it will be unfortunate if JV is left watching from the jock's room on Sat., he has not exactly been made a pauper by his association with Todd. I don't believe he has a 'contract" with Pletcher, he is freelance.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Randwyck

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...0,7821163.story

Excerpt:

But Baffert still couldn't resist saying a few things people may deem controversial, including that he isn't quite buying the mysterious gastrointestinal illness that has supposedly stricken Uncle Mo in recent weeks. Uncle Mo, the Todd Pletcher-trained colt who was an undefeated juvenile champion, is still not guaranteed to run Saturday.

"Uncle Mo looks fantastic out there to me," Baffert said. "He's the best horse in the race. I don't care what rumors you hear. You can't throw him out. He's looked great to me. Everyone is talking about him being 50/50. I think [owner Mike Repole] is just trying to build a price for himself because it sounds like he likes to gamble. He's going to be dangerous. I don't think it's some [gastrointestinal issue], I think he just got tired at the Wood [Memorial]. From what I've seen visually, there is nothing there that tells me the horse isn't ready to run. I'm not buying that crap. He's just trying to steal this race."
Old 05-05-2011, 03:26 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner12oz View Post

Excerpt:

But Baffert still couldn't resist saying a few things people may deem controversial, including that he isn't quite buying the mysterious gastrointestinal illness that has supposedly stricken Uncle Mo in recent weeks. Uncle Mo, the Todd Pletcher-trained colt who was an undefeated juvenile champion, is still not guaranteed to run Saturday.

"Uncle Mo looks fantastic out there to me," Baffert said. "He's the best horse in the race. I don't care what rumors you hear. You can't throw him out. He's looked great to me. Everyone is talking about him being 50/50. I think [owner Mike Repole] is just trying to build a price for himself because it sounds like he likes to gamble. He's going to be dangerous. I don't think it's some [gastrointestinal issue], I think he just got tired at the Wood [Memorial]. From what I've seen visually, there is nothing there that tells me the horse isn't ready to run. I'm not buying that crap. He's just trying to steal this race."
How will Bob feel when he scratches tomorrow
Old 05-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:

Excerpt:

Sounds like Bob is trying to jack up his price on Midnight Interlude.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Drama.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Calder Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
Sounds like Bob is trying to jack up his price on Midnight Interlude.

good 1
Old 05-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Goodwood

JFC.

This is the strangest Derby I can remember.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Hollywood Park

Indeed. Anyone want some popcorn? Or maybe some Pirate's Booty?
Old 05-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Louisiana Downs

FFS just scratch the damned horse already.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:

Excerpt:

Add this website to ones you can't access in a public library. I guess the Baltimore Sun is gonna turn us all into degenerates.

Unlike Baffert, I wouldn't go so far as to say he didn't have a GI tract infection. I've had a variation of that--my legs were jelly for days. I can only imagine what it's like for an animal expending that much effort and going 1 1/8. It's nothing short of a miracle he finished 3rd. Things didn't look right in the Wood for the entirety of the race. I do think Repole's messing around, although I'm not clear how to take it. Could relate to odds, straight up concern for the horse not being ready, mind games with opponents and the media...

The odds remark by Baffert makes sense up to a point, but if it's true, I'm not sure it's the best year to pull that kind of thing. They won't go too high just because there's enough confusion about the other horses, some people are just gonna go 'you know what? I'd rather chance Mo running back to form than bet on someone I don't think is as good as Mo's best on their best day.' Haskin put him at #1 on the Derby Dozen again partly because of that. Repole's whole 'I'm gonna make him the favorite' thing sounded like hyperbole. If Mo does go, and he's confident in him, obviously he'll bet a lot.