Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-03-2018, 09:06 AM
Oriental Park

Default Decision for Dec 8 Venue . . .

OK here's the rub:

Fairgrounds has Louisiana Champions Day with 7 ungraded stakes and two for 2YO's

Gulfstream Park has 11 races (with very nice purses) of which 6 are ungraded stakes and all 6 are 2YO races. Who was the crazy person who put this card together This one will drive us all not to mention the need to imbibe on a number of adult beverages if handicapping on a Friday evening. Mimosas are very good a Saturday morning also.

Thoughts???
Old 12-03-2018, 10:09 AM
Ak-Sar-Ben

Adult beverages sound good to me. Might help with the healing up I'm doing.
Still sore, but much better than with the Stones playing to a packed kidney. 🤒
Old 12-03-2018, 10:12 AM
Oriental Park

To me, it's the other 5 races at Gulfstream that would drive us to drink (given the races involved, perhaps to Rum and Coca-Cola if you remember the Andrews Sisters' song). Gulfstream is hosting the Clasico del Caribe on Saturday, and the race conditions for the top 5 stakes races (the ones for other than 2 year olds) limit entrants to horses bred "in a Representative Country of the Confederation Hipica del Caribe."

I can't speak for all of us, but I have a lot of trouble distinguishing between the quality of races for horses shipping from Venezuela, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Colombia and the Dominican Republic.

Just to throw out another option for your consideration, the Southern California circuit moves to Los Alamitos, and this Saturday the card will include both the G1 Cash Call Futurity for 2 year old colts and the Grade 1 Starlet for 2 year old fillies.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:17 AM
Havre de Grace

Seems more likely that we might see a horse that eventually might have an impact on the KD at Gulfstream than at Fairgrounds, if memory serves me, although at least one future superstar, Gun Runner, ran in KD preps at Fairgrounds. I lean towards Gulf, but whichever you pick is good.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:20 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolyB View Post
To me, it's the other 5 races at Gulfstream that would drive us to drink (given the races involved, perhaps to Rum and Coca-Cola if you remember the Andrews Sisters' song). Gulfstream is hosting the Clasico del Caribe on Saturday, and the race conditions for the top 5 stakes races (the ones for other than 2 year olds) limit entrants to horses bred "in a Representative Country of the Confederation Hipica del Caribe."

I can't speak for all of us, but I have a lot of trouble distinguishing between the quality of races for horses shipping from Venezuela, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Colombia and the Dominican Republic.

Just to throw out another option for your consideration, the Southern California circuit moves to Los Alamitos, and this Saturday the card will include both the G1 Cash Call Futurity for 2 year old colts and the Grade 1 Starlet for 2 year old fillies.
Yes, I saw the Los Alamitos card too which is a good one for the 2 G1's and we'd probably end up with a really big hangover capping the Clisico del Caribe. Hmmmmmmmm???
Old 12-03-2018, 10:20 AM
The Curragh

Default Mewsings

FOR SOME UNKNOWN REASON
THE TRACK I LOVE TO PLAY
HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE FAIRGROUNDS
THATS MY VOTE FOR SATURDAY

WEB SITE LINK => www.RUFFIAN333.com
Old 12-03-2018, 10:25 AM
The Curragh

Louisiana is not a favorite of mine due to their "after the races" policies and handicapping foreign horses is foreign to me so my preference would be Los Al.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:31 AM
Havre de Grace

Los Al likely to be the Baffert show, but that's ok with me too since I have a few of his runners in future wagers. It seemed the prudent thing to do for some reason.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:46 AM
Ak-Sar-Ben

I like California, too. Been to Los Al a few times. Probably has the best horses to pick from.