Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-20-2013, 07:10 PM
The Curragh

Default Market Quote

From today's 4th at Santa Anita, a John Shirreffs 1ster by After Market. Really need to watch the replay if you didn't see it. I think time will show she didn't beat much here, but she did so giving all of them about a 15 length head start. She didn't break slowly, she left the gate about 2 seconds after everyone else. Certainly the hot pace up front set up a closer, but this was something you don't see very often. In fact, I can't remember seeing a horse get out that poorly and win before.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Replay:

http://www1.drf.com/displayVideo.do?...=D&country=USA
Old 01-20-2013, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Outside of the top two finishers -- and the two longshots who went out in a breakaway duel -- that race is nothing but stone cold throwouts if they return at the level.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:21 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
Outside of the top two finishers -- and the two longshots who went out in a breakaway duel -- that race is nothing but stone cold throwouts if they return at the level.
Don't disagree in the least. But it was still a novel way to win at 1st asking.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:22 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer View Post
From today's 4th at Santa Anita, a John Shirreffs 1ster by After Market. Really need to watch the replay if you didn't see it. I think time will show she didn't beat much here, but she did so giving all of them about a 15 length head start. She didn't break slowly, she left the gate about 2 seconds after everyone else. Certainly the hot pace up front set up a closer, but this was something you don't see very often. In fact, I can't remember seeing a horse get out that poorly and win before.
Time is up. She beat sh*t.

Done no wrong angle =
Old 01-20-2013, 09:12 PM
helicopter11

Did you see those fractions? It was a set-up for a deep closer. It was as if Barry Abrams set out that 99-1 rabbit just for Sherrifs.

That being said....it still was FTS on turf going long.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:52 AM
Washington Park

She is better than Zenyattas sister...Just happens to be a cal bred and a turf horse..
Old 01-21-2013, 09:53 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
She is better than Zenyattas sister...Just happens to be a cal bred and a turf horse..
It was Shirreffs 2nd first time starter to win on debut in the last year - he was 1-for-22 before, with only Eblouissante to have done the deed.

I have a breakdown of the individual sectionals on the race coming out in my blog on FollowHorseRacing.com - just out of the sheer rarity of the sight
Old 01-21-2013, 11:09 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatCummings View Post
It was Shirreffs 2nd first time starter to win on debut in the last year - he was 1-for-22 before, with only Eblouissante to have done the deed.

I have a breakdown of the individual sectionals on the race coming out in my blog on FollowHorseRacing.com - just out of the sheer rarity of the sight
Anybody that remembers the 505 days knows Shirreffs can get one ready to win first out when he wants to do so. That probably wasn't the case here, but it was for Z's sister.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:32 PM
The Curragh

There was a Joe Woodard firster at HAW 3-5 years ago named Donnaguska that came from as far back as I can remember going 6f on dirt.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

On the same day when a crazy breakaway speed duel setup Market Quote's victory despite breaking about ten lengths slow ...

An even more extreme breakaway speed duel happened at Golden Gate. I normally don't care for hysterics by track announcers ... but in this case they were so appropriate and this is WITHOUT QUESTION the best race call I've heard in a while because of the way Wrona calls out the great Russell Baze for one of the most illogical rides you'll ever see.

Here is the replay of Jan 20th Race #9 at GG: http://www1.drf.com/displayVideo.do?...=D&country=USA

I have to assume Russell Baze was given those idiotic instructions by the trainer...his horse wasn't even a need the lead horse. The pace figure for this race was nuts. Earlier on the card, there was a race where the half was run in 52 and the two speeds finished last and second to last.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:34 AM
The Curragh

FINALLY returned yesterday for her 2nd career start. Finished a non-threatening 3rd while breaking cleanly, but still sitting last. At first glance, not impressive, but when taking a closer look, the Hollendorfer horse who wired the field came home in 22.67 seconds, so to close any ground into that final quarter.... She would have needed to Sprout Wings.
Does this prove she's any good? Of course not, but I think the jury is still out.
Would certainly like to see her return in less than 2 months for the next start...
Old 03-24-2013, 06:50 AM
Hialeah Park

Bejarano is now a jaw dropping 14 for 23 at this meet for the outfit he won for in this race.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel