Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-14-2006, 03:38 PM
The Curragh

Default $15,000 Richer

On December 9th I plan on being $15,000 richer. Just plunked down $150 for my entry in the Daily Racing Form / NTRA National Handicapping Championship Qualifier to be held on December 9th at Beulah Park.

It goes without saying that I am a reasonable man and know that my limited backround in this game limits my possibility of even being close. My honest goal is to shoot for at least 15th. 11th thru 15th pay $200, 6th thru 10th pay $500, 5th $1,000, 4th $1,500, 3rd $3,000, 2nd $8,000 and the winner $15,000Of course the top 6 get the round trip to Vegas and 3 nights hotel accommodations at Bally's.

What I don't like is the format - 15 races, 7 mandatory races from Beulah and 8 races of the players choice from selected simulcast signals. I could do without the 7 from Beulah.

Question for those who have done this. Do they have a board that lets everyone know who is leading, etc?
Old 09-14-2006, 03:50 PM
eurobounce

Yes, they will have a monitor that should be updated with the standings after every mandatory race. It should also be updated at the end of every elegible optional race. The 7 mandatory races is nice. I can understand about not being thrilled about the races being from Beulah, but I can see where they would want u to bet their races. Most races are capped at 20-1 for win and place.

In Decemeber, Keeneland is hosting a handicapping contest. Their contest is the BY FAR the best in the nation. It is nothing but 1st class. They had one over the summer and I finished 23rd out of 500. I was a nose from a win to get me into the top 5. I had a 42-1 horse that finished 2nd.

Anyway good luck and let us know how u did.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:51 PM
Randwyck

Good luck.

Follow me with the Rays grounds crew at
https://twitter.com/TripleCrown59
www.facebook.com/TripleCrown59

K&S pics-
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...0BYtWrhw2csXLA
Old 09-14-2006, 04:13 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobounce
Yes, they will have a monitor that should be updated with the standings after every mandatory race. It should also be updated at the end of every elegible optional race. The 7 mandatory races is nice. I can understand about not being thrilled about the races being from Beulah, but I can see where they would want u to bet their races. Most races are capped at 20-1 for win and place.

In Decemeber, Keeneland is hosting a handicapping contest. Their contest is the BY FAR the best in the nation. It is nothing but 1st class. They had one over the summer and I finished 23rd out of 500. I was a nose from a win to get me into the top 5. I had a 42-1 horse that finished 2nd.

Anyway good luck and let us know how u did.
I respectfully differ on this. The NY contests are extremely well run, always, and they return 100% of the entry fees which are also some of the highest in the nation. Also the competition in NY is the toughest you'll find outside of the national.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:22 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
I respectfully differ on this. The NY contests are extremely well run, always, and they return 100% of the entry fees which are also some of the highest in the nation. Also the competition in NY is the toughest you'll find outside of the national.
I have been to 4 contests in New York. They do not compare to the one Keeneland offers. The competition at Keeneland is tough and might be tougher than the New York contests. We have sat next to the same group of guys from New York at the Keeneland contest for 3 years in a row now (which is 5 contests) and even they say it is much better. The food, the treatment and also 100% of the entry money is given out in prizes. Now sometimes if they have more money than planned for prizes they will either add on to the top 5 places or pay out to the 25th position.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:26 PM
Idlewild Airport

Euro,

With a 100$ entry fee you get a bunch of tin cups in a contest like that. At 400 a pop with all the big hitters taking multiple entries, I venture to guess the competition is better in NY....I;m sure they food is better in Keenland by the way, lol, but I don't enter for the food.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:32 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Euro,

With a 100$ entry fee you get a bunch of tin cups in a contest like that. At 400 a pop with all the big hitters taking multiple entries, I venture to guess the competition is better in NY....I;m sure they food is better in Keenland by the way, lol, but I don't enter for the food.
$100 gets you prime rib, chicken, mashed potatos etc etc. But again, I think the Keeneland contest is better. And I have been to both.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:36 PM
Idlewild Airport

Again, I'd rather play for a bigger prize pool against the best, than eat prime rib. But that's me....I do like prime rib, though. Of course you can go from Belmont to Peter Luger's in Brooklyn which I recommend if you can do it next time your in NY.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:40 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Again, I'd rather play for a bigger prize pool against the best, than eat prime rib. But that's me....I do like prime rib, though. Of course you can go from Belmont to Peter Luger's in Brooklyn which I recommend if you can do it next time your in NY.
I go for the food because I am not good enough to win.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:50 PM
Oriental Park

If Beulah were giving away entries to that contest, covering my expense for the trip, and having two beautiful oriental woman waiting for me nude in the hotel.....I STILL WOULDNT SET FOOT IN THAT ****HOLE.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:08 PM
Randwyck

whens this contest??? is there a cap on entries??? how much are you given in "play money"? stricty wins??? wins and exotics?