Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-13-2008, 12:38 PM
The Curragh

Default What do you do for the Derby?

I use to go up to GLD every Derby day, but with that closed I am no longer sure what I will do. I could always stay home and just use my Twin Spires account, but what fun is that? I'm thinking of either going to a crappy harness track in Michigan called Sports Creek, or making a little longer drive and going to Arlington Park. What do you guys do on the big day?
Old 04-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Newmarket

i live 1 mile from Arlington and I will once again spend the day at home.
to me its a day to soak in at home online and on TV rather than in a crowded madhouse. unless you're at CD you're essentially watching it on a TV screen anyway.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Hialeah Park

The race is such a mess this year that I care so little about wagering that I will probably just throw a Derby party here and try and get some of my friends excited going into Saratoga.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Del Mar

I usually place my bets beforehand and watch it on TV but I think I'm going to go to an OTB this year. I plan on dropping a lot of $ that day and I want to be able to adjust to odds fluctuations, bias, etc...
Old 04-13-2008, 12:55 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I usually get NAKED, go up to my roof, with a CASE of beer, and my softcover copy of Leaves of Grass

and read Walt Whitman to the Puerto Ricans down below, as they hang outside their apartments with their FAT chicks and their lap dogs.

Can't wait.

Last edited by the_fat_man : 04-13-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315
I usually place my bets beforehand and watch it on TV but I think I'm going to go to an OTB this year. I plan on dropping a lot of $ that day and I want to be able to adjust to odds fluctuations, bias, etc...

i do the same, otb at like noon, play the pick 4's and win bets, go home watch on tv.
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
i live 1 mile from Arlington and I will once again spend the day at home.
to me its a day to soak in at home online and on TV rather than in a crowded madhouse. unless you're at CD you're essentially watching it on a TV screen anyway.
I was kind of thinking the same because you don't have to worry about missing a bet, and you also don't have to worry about missing anything because you have your tv and computer to yourself.

If I did go the Arlington way, any advice?
Old 04-13-2008, 12:58 PM
Monmouth Park

Smile

i usually stay home and bet with my online account nice and peaceful no long lines
Old 04-13-2008, 01:00 PM
Dee Tee Stables

always stay at home and watch all the goings on, while snorting in disgust at the eye candy asking celebs stupid questions.

but this year...well, my daughter made all star for quiz bowl, so i'll be three hours away from home most of the day....i'll have to watch it on tape, and probably won't be home in time for the race itself. s'life.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat_man
I usually get NAKED, go up to my roof with my softcover copy of Leaves of Grass

and read Walt Whitman to the Puerto Rican's down below, as they hang outside their apartments with their FAT chicks and their lap dogs.

Can't wait.
If none of my friends show up I might just give that a try.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:12 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishofNDMan
I was kind of thinking the same because you don't have to worry about missing a bet, and you also don't have to worry about missing anything because you have your tv and computer to yourself.

If I did go the Arlington way, any advice?
get there REAL early or try to by a ticket online. depends a lot on what you like to do.

last year I went on Oaks day to the track, which was also opening day at Arlington, then stayed home on derby day. sometimes I'll go up there early on derby day to the otb to make my main wagers, just in case the online world takes a dump or gets too congested on the big day.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:26 PM
Oaklawn

I will be going to the Derby this year. I am looking forward to Derby. Hopefully the undercard will be good this year. I am really looking forward to the Oaks. There are some good fillies out there.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Cahokia Downs

Derby comes 2 days after the elections here-i probably won't get out of bed on Friday and Saturday and just watch the Derby at 11pm
Old 04-13-2008, 01:34 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
get there REAL early or try to by a ticket online. depends a lot on what you like to do.

last year I went on Oaks day to the track, which was also opening day at Arlington, then stayed home on derby day. sometimes I'll go up there early on derby day to the otb to make my main wagers, just in case the online world takes a dump or gets too congested on the big day.
Is there anywhere at Arlington where you can get a good seat with a tv on Derby day? I was about to get my tickets online, but not sure if that is what I am going to do yet. I see they are going to try to break the Derby record for attendance.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Is there anywhere at Arlington where you can get a good seat with a tv on Derby day? I was about to get my tickets online, but not sure if that is what I am going to do yet. I see they are going to try to break the Derby record for attendance.
there are many good seats with TV's. I dont know which ones are sold online though. my suggestion if you're thinking of going is to call the ticket office and tell them what you're looking for.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Washington Park

stay home in bed, bathrobe, just like brian wilson did..............
Old 04-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

At Belmont if not at Churchill.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Go on the Friday before and get your Saturday seat, that is the best way to do it, there is like 3 areas where you can pay for your own seat and TV, or there are a couple other areas where you can get their real early on Saturday and sprint for a seat in some of the free simucasting areas.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:04 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
Go on the Friday before and get your Saturday seat, that is the best way to do it, there is like 3 areas where you can pay for your own seat and TV, or there are a couple other areas where you can get their real early on Saturday and sprint for a seat in some of the free simucasting areas.
have you ever been?
Old 04-13-2008, 02:04 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat_man
I usually get NAKED, go up to my roof with my softcover copy of Leaves of Grass

and read Walt Whitman to the Puerto Rican's down below, as they hang outside their apartments with their FAT chicks and their lap dogs.

Can't wait.
Are the Puerto Ricans any less chagrined with you living in their neighborhood?

Ay, que vida tan cruel. Tan cruel.