Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-13-2011, 06:45 AM
Steve Byk

Default 9/18 (WO): Woodbine Mile, Northern Dancer (G1's), Canadian (G2)

8th (4:34) Northern Dancer Turf S. (G1)

1 1/2 Miles (Turf) | Open | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $500,000

1 Hotep Wilson E 119 L
2 Bourbon Bay Talamo J 123 L
3 Hailstone Leparoux J R 119 L
4 Wigmore Hall (IRE) Spencer J P 123 L
5 Simmard Husbands P 119 L
6 Seaside Retreat Contreras L 119 L
7 Laureate Conductor Stein J 119 L
8 Al Khali Garcia Alan 121 L

10th (5:42) Ricoh Woodbine Mile S. (G1)

1 Mile (Turf) | Open | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $1,000,000

1 Hollinger Pizarro T 117 L
2 Forte Dei Marmi (GB) Velazquez J R 117 FTL
3 Woodbourne Wilson E 117 L
4 Courageous Cat Valenzuela P A 124 L
5 Right One (FR) Gomez G K 119 L
6 Grand Adventure Husbands P 119 L
7 Riding the River Dos Ramos R A 117 L
8 Turallure Leparoux J R 121 L
9 Side Glance (GB) Fortune J 119
10 Kara's Orientation Ramsammy E 121 L
11 Dance And Dance (IRE) Spencer J P 117 FTL
12 Court Vision Albarado R J 121 L

Last edited by Kasept : 09-15-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:33 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
G1 Woodbine Mile

Side Glance (Pearl Bloodstock/Andrew Balding/Jimmy Fortune)
He's a nice and improving horse... hard to tell just how good is he but that last win (over Dance and Dance, in fact) was really exciting. (Of course it was just a G3 but even though this is a pretty ambitious spot he could jump up).

My sentimental pick is Woodbourne (and Musketier in the Northern Dancer) but alas... it is early still.

Can't wait!
Old 09-13-2011, 01:22 PM
Aqueduct

Stupid question,but what is the point of bringing over a horse to run from Europe(that is BC Nominated) then when they Win a Win and IN races,the trainer says he is not gonna run?

I understand that it is a big money race(which is why they brought them) but why not just keep the horse in the states another month and run them if they are nominated and automatically are in.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Saratoga

That's not a stupid question at all and yeah I'd like to know.

Are there quarantine issues?

Anyone have insight?
Old 09-13-2011, 02:38 PM
Del Mar

Doesn't Woodbine pay for all expenses to ship, board, etc? Don't think the BC does.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfla View Post
Stupid question,but what is the point of bringing over a horse to run from Europe(that is BC Nominated) then when they Win a Win and IN races,the trainer says he is not gonna run?

I understand that it is a big money race(which is why they brought them) but why not just keep the horse in the states another month and run them if they are nominated and automatically are in.
The Breeders' Cup doesn't mean the same thing to the rest of the world as it does to those based here. Others around the world prioritize top races differently.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:04 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfla View Post
Not sure of the details, but it may have something to do with quarantine regulations. I believe that's why Master of Hounds, for example, was required to go back to Europe between the Derby and Belmont.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Aqueduct

I understand the quaratine issues,I am just trying to figure out why they bring them over for 1 race AND before the race even starts the trainer says well he/she won't run in the BC???

If you are nominated and Win the Win and You are in race,I think you should have to run(unless injured)in the BC race. It would probably take away from the quality of that race but would make the BC race alot better.

If u win the Woodbine Mile,doesnt the BC pay for that horse to come over? I have no problem if a horse from Europe runs 2nd and says no thanks. My problem is if u come over for a Grade 2 in Canada why not come over for a Grade 1,which they are paying U to run in!!
Old 09-15-2011, 02:09 PM
Steve Byk

5th (2:59) Canadian S. (G2)

About 1 1/8 Miles (Turf) | Fillies and Mares | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $300,000

1 Perfect Shirl Husbands P 119 L
2 Fantasia (GB) Maragh R 119 L
3 Magic Broomstick Wilson E 113 L
4 Mekong Melody (IRE) Velazquez J R 119
5 Forest Uproar Moreno O 113 L
6 Bay to Bay Contreras L 121 L
7 Woolly Bear Dos Ramos R A 113 L
8 Shared Account Prado E S 121 L
9 Never Retreat Leparoux J R 121 L
10 Hooh Why Pizarro T 113 L
11 Miss Keller (IRE) Gomez G K 119 L
12 Apple Charlotte Russell S 113 L
13 Zagora (FR) Castellano J J 124 L
14 Stars to Shine Buick W 115 L
Old 09-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Santa Anita

I'm wondering what happened to Musketier. He worked yesterday -- 5 furlongs in 1:05.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Saratoga

Poor guy... I hope he'll be okay.

Attfield, looking for his first Northern Dancer score, has Simmard but Musketier, who was scheduled to represent the barn, has been sidelined.

“He colicked last night,” said Attfield, on Thursday morning.“He’s in a holding pattern now, at the clinic. They’re hoping they don’t have to operate.

“He’s had soundness issues but he’d never had a sick day in his life, since I’ve had him.”.

http://www.drf.com/news/woodbine-fro...-sunday-stakes
Old 09-16-2011, 06:59 AM
Santa Anita

Damn. I hope he pulls through. Thanks for the link.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Louisiana Downs

I'm pulling for #7 Riding the river in the Mile. He'll be a huge longshot. Like Dave Cotey; these are the same connections who ran then sold Mine that Bird after his Grey stakes win. I'm sure they would have loved to win the Derby but they did alright by him.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by odbaxter View Post
I'm pulling for #7 Riding the river in the Mile. He'll be a huge longshot. Like Dave Cotey; these are the same connections who ran then sold Mine that Bird after his Grey stakes win. I'm sure they would have loved to win the Derby but they did alright by him.
Good luck!

Wow the Canadian is just a fantastic betting race.

I'm going to try to just focus on Woodbine this weekend. This is what i have so far... (cause I know you all wanna know).

Sat...

R8, Candy Bull
R9, Making Amends
R10, (my lock) Artie Hot

Sunday...

R5 (Canadian)...3,7,10 (no really.. Magic Broomstick, Woolly Bear, Hooh Why)/2,3 4 6 7,10,11,12,13,14

R8 (Northern Dancer)...
Wigmore Hall, Hotep exacta box
tri...4/1/2,5
(Wigmore Hall to win even though the odds will be nada)

The Mile... going back and forth with Side Glance and Right One so at this point if nothing else will throw both on top of a tri and use Woodbourne (sentimental win bet) and Grand Adventure with Hollinger, Courageous Cat, and Court Vision underneath. Will probably play Side Glance to win as well.

Good luck everyone and apologies in advance cause if for some reason Woodbourne manages to upset the alignmnet of the planets and wins? You all will hear me screaminbg from wherever you are.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Santa Anita

They're running the TVG Woodbine coverage on Sports South. Woodbine Mile about to go...
Old 09-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Del Mar

I know Woodbine is sooo progressive, good for bettors blah blah blah. But can someone explain to me why they place big races so poorly on their cards? It can't be a good idea to break up the big stakes with these terrible claimers/Ontario bred races. An all-stakes PK3 would generate way more handle.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:04 PM
Keeneland

Quite a ride by Jaime Spencer on Dance and Dance. It was like he tried to find trouble.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Quite a ride by Jaime Spencer on Dance and Dance. It was like he tried to find trouble.
I was just saying that to myself. Wow that was awful.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:08 PM
helicopter11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315 View Post
I know Woodbine is sooo progressive, good for bettors blah blah blah. But can someone explain to me why they place big races so poorly on their cards? It can't be a good idea to break up the big stakes with these terrible claimers/Ontario bred races. An all-stakes PK3 would generate way more handle.
People like me, who rarely play Woodbine unless its a big race like today will only focus on the three major stakes races. Since its spread out from race 5 to race 10, I am forced to handicap 6 to 8 races if I am playing the pick4. and rolling pick 3s. If they had put the races together back to back to back I will only handicap 3-5 races. On track, the people will stick around longer to watch all 3 stakes races 3 hours as opposed to 1.5 hours with 3 big races together.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopter11 View Post
People like me, who rarely play Woodbine unless its a big race like today will only focus on the three major stakes races. Since its spread out from race 5 to race 10, I am forced to handicap 6 to 8 races if I am playing the pick4. and rolling pick 3s. If they had put the races together back to back to back I will only handicap 3-5 races. On track, the people will stick around longer to watch all 3 stakes races 3 hours as opposed to 1.5 hours with 3 big races together.
Or people won't want to or won't feel comfortable handicapping those races and therefore won't play as much. That's how it is for me at least, and I play Woodbine a lot. Why take a few very attractive wagers and spread them out into more barely attractive wagers? I really don't think you're increasing handle that way.