Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-17-2007, 08:08 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Does anyone know what the general rules regarding tipping the tellers are (whether you follow it or not)? Do you do it for small wins too, or if not, at what point do you start tipping? And how much? Not knowing the tipping rules makes me anxious, no matter where it is.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:50 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsoxfan
It's completely spur of the moment for me too. Obviously the larger the hit the bigger the tip. It also doesn't hurt if the pari-mutual clerk is nice.
The problem I have is when I have to take a leak at the Spa. I never know what to tip the guys who give you the towels. I always feel guilty when I don't throw something in the basket. One of these years on Opening Day, I'm just going to throw a $20 in the basket and just ask the guy if I'm good for the meet.
So, does this mean I have to leave a tip when wizzing behind Charlie's garage on "Estreet" ???

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 06-17-2007, 10:02 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
I try to use strictly the self service Amtotes.

me too. I've had too many tickets with mistakes on them when I go to a teller. I'd rather punch it in myself, and only have myself to blame if there's an error.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:19 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Does anyone tip when they buy their tickets?
I tip wait staff at least 20%.

I've tipped cows.

If I've spent the day at Kee, and they haven't goofed up multiple tickets (If I find a good, helpful, efficient teller) I'll tip on anything over $200.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 06-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Churchill Downs

I always use the self service tellers but I do tip specific people at the track - I tip the old woman who pours the perfect beer, you know the one, she leaves very little head on the beer, it's always poured to the top of the cup... I also tip the person who sells me my program and DRF, they always wish me good luck and ask how I did last week... I also ALWAYS tip the old guy that works down by the paddock that I'm friends with who leaves me clubhouse passes when I go to the track and tells me the latest news about the backside that most people don't know about about, and I can't forget the lady that gives me the clubhouse box seat on the finish line who loves regulars (despite the fact that you might not attend as regularly as you used to) - those are the people I ALWAYS tip, they're the folks that make the track experience what it is, and the folks that keep me coming back every time - Really Good People! Those are the people I ALWAYS tip.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:29 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
I've tipped cows.

Yep, I tried that too... and I have the scars to prove it... ok, the scars are from when I thought (in my drunken state) that the cows were charging me so I tried to hop over a barbed wire fence (and that cut my arm), but in reality the cows just looked at me and I was paranoid (cause I was drunk)... yep, been there, done that!
Old 06-18-2007, 06:47 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pba1817
Don't eat yellow snow, and don't get into the ticket writing game for the tips.

Ticket writers are writing tickets for a track who is taking out 18-25% of our winnings every race.
Amen to that. I have been going to the track since 1973 and have never tipped the teller and they never let me know when they have a tip on a live horse.

I tip 20% to servers and 5 bucks to the Valet, but I have never considered tipping the tellers at the track.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:24 AM
Churchill Downs

Tipping comes down to A) My overall standing for the day $+/- and B) How much beer I have consumed. If I hit a big one late on a good day, good for the person who sold it to me.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:01 PM
Goodwood

If I hit a signer, I'll usually flip them the cutoff to the next bill, so if it's $807.50 they get the $7.50, unless they try to take it without asking (as someone who worked in tipping-industries for 8 years this is a pet peeve of mine.)

Exception: Back in Queens, there was a couple tellers at the restaurant OTB who were very nice to me & everyone I knew there but took a TON of abuse from the azzhole clientele there. Every time I hit big (i.e., $3k or more) they got a NICE tip.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:26 PM
Hollywood Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmfhb411
The very last Belmont Day I went to was 1998.
I vowed never to go on that day again.
I see nothing has changed.
Actually quite a bit has changed.

1) They no longer allow people to have fun, I mean bring beer, on Belmont Day. You are still allowed to drink beer, but only if you pay $7.50 for it at the track. (A shot at NYRA)

2) They now charge $65.00 for my Clubhouse seat. I think tickets were $20 back in 1998. (A shot at NYRA)

3) Clubhouse admission is $20 and Grandstand is $10.00. In 1998 it was $5 and $2. (A shot at NYRA)

4) In 1998 they had over 80,000 people attending. This year there were less than 47,000. (Hmmm, I wonder if the 3 previous reasons have anything to do with this?)

5) In 1998 we got to see Chief Bearhart, Richter Scale, Coronado's Quest and Victory Gallop. This year we got to see Better Talk Now, Will He Shine, Teuflesberg and Rags to Riches. (A shot at the game itself)

So, I'd say quite a bit has changed, and you are probably the wiser for no longer going. I on the other hand continue to torture myself and attend with the same people I've been going with since 1997. Overall, it is still a nice day, though it should be so much more than that. It's kinda sad that even those that enjoy horseracing enough to participate on DT can't muster the energy to show up at BEL on the biggest racing day in NY?

Last edited by NoLuvForPletch : 06-18-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Cahokia Downs

Default Tips

The sign at my local car wash says " Tips are appreciated but never expected". Not a bad way to look at it as a customer.

If a teller puts up with 10 of my part wheel and key tri's, I think it worth $5 or $10 when they hit . Tax ticket $20 if I used the same teller all day
Old 06-18-2007, 08:37 PM
Randwyck

"It's not tipping I believe in. It's overtipping" -- Vincent Antonelli

Eric
Old 06-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Flemington

For whatever reason, I can be fairly generous when I'm at the track and having a real good day.

When I go out to eat, which isn't very often, I have to fight off my urges to just tip them like a $1 for bringing me food.

I'm not exactly sure why this is.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:27 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
I've never tipped, and I don't understand the concept. Its a simple function to cash the ticket, its not like one teller can do it better than another, thereby making a tip for good service appropriate.
Actually I respectfully disagree here Jim. A teller that is willing to look for you and wave you in when time is short or a teller who takes the extra interest in your play can be very important to a good day.

I have learned to isolate a couple of tellers who I have a relationship with that take care of me so I take care of them. It really helps you and them especially when you are in a crowded venue....
Old 06-18-2007, 11:10 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by docicu3
Actually I respectfully disagree here Jim. A teller that is willing to look for you and wave you in when time is short or a teller who takes the extra interest in your play can be very important to a good day.

I have learned to isolate a couple of tellers who I have a relationship with that take care of me so I take care of them. It really helps you and them especially when you are in a crowded venue....
well the big difference is that you use tellers for wagering and have developed relationships with them. In that case if you feel you get some special service from your teller, that is something different and I guess i can understand the tipping.

just to let you know where i'm coming from, I never place any wagers with a teller, I only use the autotote machines. I use the teller for only one transaction and that is to cash out my voucher or to cash an irs ticket. its my money and I don't know why they should get a tip for simply handing it over to me. I also don't tip the teller at the bank when I make a cash withdrawal.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
well the big difference is that you use tellers for wagering and have developed relationships with them. In that case if you feel you get some special service from your teller, that is something different and I guess i can understand the tipping.

just to let you know where i'm coming from, I never place any wagers with a teller, I only use the autotote machines. I use the teller for only one transaction and that is to cash out my voucher or to cash an irs ticket. its my money and I don't know why they should get a tip for simply handing it over to me. I also don't tip the teller at the bank when I make a cash withdrawal.
Yo AJ, I agree, and I think alot of your experience has to do with the bs tellers at Arlington and Trackside, That said, if you get this old dude Roger, he is FLY as hell. Dude is awesome. he is happy when I win, pissed when I lose, and always tells me "Get it done Tommy" There is also another dude in the gold room that is the bomb also, gets it done.....
Old 06-18-2007, 11:28 PM
Hialeah Park

I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job. ......lol A pretty easy one, name that character...
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel

Last edited by declansharbor : 06-18-2007 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:18 AM
The Curragh

not many people here use the machine to place bets?? it's so much less complicated than risking human error
Old 06-19-2007, 12:25 AM
Havre de Grace

I never Tip my computer....however I do pick up the keyboard and give it a shake or 2 to get the cookie crumbs loose!
Old 06-19-2007, 03:24 AM
Goodwood

[quote=ArlJim78]
just to let you know where i'm coming from, I never place any wagers with a teller, I only use the autotote machines. I use the teller for only one transaction and that is to cash out my voucher or to cash an irs ticket. [quote]

Exactly the same here. If anyone is going to screw up my ticket, it is going to be me and only me.