Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-22-2010, 06:20 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Default p val

word on xpressbet race chat is cali gave p. val his license to ride there.
now enough is enough. he has been giving many changes.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Idlewild Airport

Default PVal Back In Cali

http://www.drf.com/news/article/115027.html

Good for him.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Jerome Park

Should be interesting.... Is he still hairless?
Old 07-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35 View Post
Looziana will never be the same.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:01 AM
Goodwood

What kind of changes has he been giving?
Old 07-23-2010, 09:03 AM
Gulfstream Park

The Steve Howe of jockeys................
Old 07-23-2010, 10:09 AM
Dee Tee Stables

i'm sure this time 'round, he'll do everything juuuust right. goodness knows those permanent ban threats are scary.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:49 PM
The Curragh

This matters little. He is a shadow of his former self, and his style of riding isn't as successful on synthetics as dirt as well.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:50 PM
Fairgrounds

I wish him the best. I hope he makes it this time.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:48 PM
Coach Pants

He's riding a Warren cripple on Wednesday.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:18 PM
Oaklawn

Pat's back,,,,,,,seemed like he's be gone for a life time!
Old 07-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44 View Post
This matters little. He is a shadow of his former self, and his style of riding isn't as successful on synthetics as dirt as well.
Tyler's misfortune looks to be P Val's good fortune, I wouldn't be surprised if he flashes some of his former form this meet IF he gets the mounts, and why shouldn't he be able to ride well on synth? Assuming that riding on synth is an extension of riding on turf.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Oaklawn

He's been riding at Louisiana Downs the past few seasons... he still rides well, looks like a top-class rider and rarely (if ever) put a bad ride on a horse.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:15 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone View Post
He's been riding at Louisiana Downs the past few seasons... he still rides well, looks like a top-class rider and rarely (if ever) put a bad ride on a horse.
Travis, you see him more than anyone here, in your opinion does he still possess the drive and aggression that once made him one of the best riders in the game? By that I mean, some riders lose it after riding so many years in the game. Ie. Solis. P Val to me has always looked like a guy that loved what he was doing and to me he would ride until he was 70 if the body was able.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC View Post
Travis, you see him more than anyone here, in your opinion does he still possess the drive and aggression that once made him one of the best riders in the game? By that I mean, some riders lose it after riding so many years in the game. Ie. Solis. P Val to me has always looked like a guy that loved what he was doing and to me he would ride until he was 70 if the body was able.
La. Downs does not have top class racing by any stretch. He was out there with the rest of them - riding $5k claimers and trying hard. Does that make him a top class rider? No, but he has to make a living like everyone else.

It's interesting when you call races... you notice two types of riders... the really good ones, and the horrendous ones. I remember a few distinct things about P-Val... if he makes the lead, he knows how to back the horse down. Rarely did he set insanely fast paces while on the lead. He looks very "streamlined" in the saddle relative to his peers here.

The second, and this is inconsequential, but he had a hard time rating really head-strong horses. I think that's just because he had a few instances where the horse went nuts on him, not anything related to his ability, but none the less I noticed.

For what it's worth... what I've noticed at LAD over the past few years... I was lucky to call Joe Talamo's first win (he almost blew it) and he was one who stood out right from the start. Francisco Torres never seemed to be in a bad spot. Anna Roberts knows how to relax a horse on the lead, she just has to finish better, and she's getting better in that regard. Richard Eramia always seems to put horses in the right spots. Finally, Iram Diego is underrated.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:41 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
La. Downs does not have top class racing by any stretch. He was out there with the rest of them - riding $5k claimers and trying hard. Does that make him a top class rider? No, but he has to make a living like everyone else.

It's interesting when you call races... you notice two types of riders... the really good ones, and the horrendous ones. I remember a few distinct things about P-Val... if he makes the lead, he knows how to back the horse down. Rarely did he set insanely fast paces while on the lead. He looks very "streamlined" in the saddle relative to his peers here.

The second, and this is inconsequential, but he had a hard time rating really head-strong horses. I think that's just because he had a few instances where the horse went nuts on him, not anything related to his ability, but none the less I noticed.

For what it's worth... what I've noticed at LAD over the past few years... I was lucky to call Joe Talamo's first win (he almost blew it) and he was one who stood out right from the start. Francisco Torres never seemed to be in a bad spot. Anna Roberts knows how to relax a horse on the lead, she just has to finish better, and she's getting better in that regard. Richard Eramia always seems to put horses in the right spots. Finally, Iram Diego is underrated.
Great info, that's interesting I always thought that was one of his more unique talents horses seemed to relax for him where other riders struggled to control a horse. As a bettor I always liked how he would push the envelope out there, not to the point of hurting another rider, but he would ride a horse with pure intimidation. You better not go up the rail if you were going to beat him, and it would not be beyond a stretch for him to subtly knock you off stride to get an edge. I agree about Torres, he's a good rider, though at times he can be inconsistent when he isn't in the mood.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Oriental Park

I look forward to overbet Pval horses on the front end at Del Mar........it should be a winning combination.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:

Thanks for the information Travis. It's good to know that he seems to still have it.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Goodwood

I think this whole notion about Pval being a pure speed jock is maybe a bit misplaced.

Yes, he was a great speed jockey, but the thing is, he was always one of the very few intelligent riders, and he realized that a horse with an easy lead type of trip had a huge advantage.

I really doubt he sent horses because that's the only way he knew how to ride.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick333 View Post
It's good to know that he seems to still have it.
Yeah.

And if he ever doesn't have it, he can stick to being perennial master of ceremonies of the annual Gay Pride Parade in NYC. Which would then go a long way towards explaining the man-love thing going on, here and on other forums, for this no talent druggie. Sort of puts the lives of others' in perspective, whenever a PVAL thread pops --- a very regular occurrence.

I'm just continually perplexed why ANYTHING this bum does would be of interest to anyone --- let alone this ongoing fixation with him by so many.