Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Churchill Downs

after Saratoga of course, its gotta be The Great Barrington Fair Meet
Old 12-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Gulfstream Park

Even though it doesn't happen on a regular basis anymore.............I went to opening day at Ak-Sar-Ben in Omaha in either 1985 or 1986 when they had Willie Shoemaker day to kick-off the season. There was probably 23,000-25,000 people there for some giveaways and a salute to one of the great jockeys. Beautiful day, typical card of shippers coming in from Fonner, Oaklawn, and Turf Paradise. Jack Van Berg, Don Von Hemmel, in their prime.

A couple of years later............the track is gone. If I sound a little sentimental, I am.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:37 AM
Golden Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by eajinabi
Its one of few tracks in the country thats not located out in BFE or in the Ghetto. Arcadia is one classy place.
The Oaklawn Jockey Club is not exactly in BFE or the Ghetto. It's just across the street from the First Baptist Church of Hot Springs. Best part of those 50 cent corned beef blood pressure busters is the three beers you down while standing in line to get your limit of four sandwhiches per transaction. You gotta love those Bobblehorses on Monday!
Old 12-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Dancer
Even though it doesn't happen on a regular basis anymore.............I went to opening day at Ak-Sar-Ben in Omaha in either 1985 or 1986 when they had Willie Shoemaker day to kick-off the season. There was probably 23,000-25,000 people there for some giveaways and a salute to one of the great jockeys. Beautiful day, typical card of shippers coming in from Fonner, Oaklawn, and Turf Paradise. Jack Van Berg, Don Von Hemmel, in their prime.

A couple of years later............the track is gone. If I sound a little sentimental, I am.
......great avatar,my 1st favorite horse. saw
him up close at santa anita 1986.