Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-14-2010, 11:14 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
Intercontinental loose on lead with the bit free in her mouth .. I floated home............what Belt pkway?
that was a good horse and another nice score for me
Old 10-14-2010, 11:47 PM
Flemington

2009, 2004, 2008, 2002 were all big BC's for me.

2007 was easily the most bitter one for me. John Murtagh not riding Dylan Thomas out and losing a dead tight photo for 4th place cost me $6,000 in a TVG contest.

The same day, Hystericalady (9/1) was easily my biggest bet of the entire day - and Ginger Punch came skating up the inside to beat her. I also posted here in a thread right before the Breeders Cup that my "best bet" for that years BC was a cold trifecta of Midnight Lute over Idiot Proof over Benny The Bull in the BC Sprint. The Midnight Lute-Idiot Proof exacta paid $50 - my attempt to kill the world failed when Benny The Bull was 4th at 7/1 .. Talent Search held him off for 3rd. He beats TS in the DeFrancis next out - and is champion sprinter the following year. In that years Classic, my whole entire bet was a trifecta keying Street Sense in the 3rd spot and using only Curlin, Hard Spun and Lawyer Ron in positions 1 and 2. That bet looked as good as gold on the turn .. but Street Sense somehow was caught for 3rd very late by Awesome Gem. The Curlin over Hard Spun exacta paid over $70 - so it wasn't a measly miss like some might now think.

I ended up winning $1,500 for 2nd in the contest and having a not so bad betting day but was way more miserable than I ever was in years like 2000 when I missed everything and had a really horrid read on a few races.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:17 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS View Post
2009, 2004, 2008, 2002 were all big BC's for me.

2007 was easily the most bitter one for me. John Murtagh not riding Dylan Thomas out and losing a dead tight photo for 4th place cost me $6,000 in a TVG contest.

The same day, Hystericalady (9/1) was easily my biggest bet of the entire day - and Ginger Punch came skating up the inside to beat her. I also posted here in a thread right before the Breeders Cup that my "best bet" for that years BC was a cold trifecta of Midnight Lute over Idiot Proof over Benny The Bull in the BC Sprint. The Midnight Lute-Idiot Proof exacta paid $50 - my attempt to kill the world failed when Benny The Bull was 4th at 7/1 .. Talent Search held him off for 3rd. He beats TS in the DeFrancis next out - and is champion sprinter the following year. In that years Classic, my whole entire bet was a trifecta keying Street Sense in the 3rd spot and using only Curlin, Hard Spun and Lawyer Ron in positions 1 and 2. That bet looked as good as gold on the turn .. but Street Sense somehow was caught for 3rd very late by Awesome Gem. The Curlin over Hard Spun exacta paid over $70 - so it wasn't a measly miss like some might now think.

I ended up winning $1,500 for 2nd in the contest and having a not so bad betting day but was way more miserable than I ever was in years like 2000 when I missed everything and had a really horrid read on a few races.
Oh please.

I listened to you on Dylan Thomas instead of going with my gut and using Kip. That cost me 6k in that stupid contest.

You more than made up for it with your ghastly good luck in the 2009 contest again edging me out for the win. The only reason Papa Clem got slammed in the Derby was to preserve your win.

Or the jock gearing down on that turf horse in the race before that. Nice that he came back and won a g1 next out at a big price.

That was a bad beat with DT at least.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:25 AM
Goodwood

And don't even get me started with Precious Kitten that year in the BC.

I thought for sure when she was assassinated in her race that you were a lock to win.

I felt like puking after the filly and mare turf.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:29 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
Oh please.

I listened to you on Dylan Thomas instead of going with my gut and using Kip. That cost me 6k in that stupid contest.
It only cost you because DT didn't finish in the top 4 and Kip Deville happened to win.

Only a complete tard would have neglected using Dylan Thomas and used Kip Deville with multi moves available and in your position at that time - in a contest that rewards nothing for odds. It's like you're blaming me for not being an all-out tard.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:37 AM
Flemington

Quote:
And don't even get me started with Precious Kitten that year in the BC.

I thought for sure when she was assassinated in her race that you were a lock to win.

I felt like puking after the filly and mare turf.
Precious Kitten was every bit as retarded a move as Kip Deville.

Kip Deville was 8/1 in a 13 horse field
Dylan Thomas was 4/5 in a 7 horse field

The big leader and eventual narrow winner for some monumentally idiotic reason decided not to use DT and instead used Proud Spell in the Juv Fillies. You had to gain on him - I had to gain on him - only you would think the best way to make up big ground on a complete idiot would be to act like an even bigger idiot.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:37 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
It only cost you because DT didn't finish in the top 4 and Kip Deville happened to win.

Only a complete tard would have neglected using Dylan Thomas and used Kip Deville with multi moves available and in your position at that time - in a contest that rewards nothing for odds. It's like you're blaming me for not being an all-out tard.
I'm not blaming you at all. I'm blaming myself for being an idiot.

My thinking was that I was going to get points with Precious Kitten and one of the juvenille runners, neither of which you or that other wop guy had.

Since the mile to me was a complete clusterfukk, I went with DT in an easier spot to score points. Especially since the other guy didn't have DT either. I felt that Kip was the most logical horse in the mile, but that the mile was a much more difficult race due to field size and how open it was for the win.

What really made me mad at myself though was that I kept saying for 3 months before that that DT is the single most overrated horse in Europe in like 10 years, and I ended up using him.

I don't know why you keep thinking I blamed you for my own dumb move.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:40 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Precious Kitten was every bit as retarded a move as Kip Deville.

Kip Deville was 8/1 in a 13 horse field
Dylan Thomas was 4/5 in a 7 horse field

The big leader and eventual narrow winner for some monumentally idiotic reason decided not to use DT and instead used Proud Spell in the Juv Fillies. You had to gain on him - I had to gain on him - only you would think the best way to make up big ground on a complete idiot would be to act like an even bigger idiot.
Dude, I had Precious Kitten for the duration of the contest. With the idea that she was the horse most likely to improve the most over the course of the summer and into the fall. Thus, score a lot of points that few others would have. Should I have dropped her for the BC? It's idiotic to think she would not have scored points in that race had she not beein assassinated.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:44 AM
Flemington

Quote:
What really made me mad at myself though was that I kept saying for 3 months before that that DT is the single most overrated horse in Europe in like 10 years, and I ended up using him.

I don't know why you keep thinking I blamed you for my own dumb move.
Who cares if he was the single most overrated horse? He was the better move. Obviously.

That can still be said after the fact - even though he finished 5th of 8 at Kip Deville won a total scramble.

If you were in a hopeless position - yeah, using Kip and not using DT would have been a somewhat rational move as that could have leapfrogged you in the money. From 3rd though, with differences against me, and the leader not using DT ... you merely did what any sane person would do.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:58 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Who cares if he was the single most overrated horse? He was the better move. Obviously.

That can still be said after the fact - even though he finished 5th of 8 at Kip Deville won a total scramble.

If you were in a hopeless position - yeah, using Kip and not using DT would have been a somewhat rational move as that could have leapfrogged you in the money. From 3rd though, with differences against me, and the leader not using DT ... you merely did what any sane person would do.
Yeah, that's the part that gets me. If that dunce had used DT, I have no problem going with Kip instead.

It just made no sense that he didn't use DT!

In all the scenarios in my head leading up to the final day, not a one did I imagine him not using DT. I think that is why I was so flummoxed the night before.

Too bad I didn't have multiple entries, huh?
Old 10-15-2010, 01:09 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Yeah, that's the part that gets me. If that dunce had used DT, I have no problem going with Kip instead.

It just made no sense that he didn't use DT!
ESPN could do an entire 30 for 30 series show on how that guy won. He kept pulling rabbits out of his ass - and almost pissed away a gigantic lead despite the monumental lunacy of not using DT while leading on the last day.

Too bad there was no such contest of any kind ending on BC day of '09.

My worst Breeders Cup's from a betting standpoint always seem to be at Churchill. I hope that trend doesn't continue.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:15 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
My worst Breeders Cup's from a betting standpoint always seem to be at Churchill. I hope that trend doesn't continue.
Didn't you kill them in 2000, the year I went with Pit and hooked up with Tector and Roger1807 at the BC?

I thought you nailed the sprint pretty good, and went pretty wide open in the distaff, with your prediction that Riboletta was going to break down in the race and not finish.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:24 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Didn't you kill them in 2000, the year I went with Pit and hooked up with Tector and Roger1807 at the BC?

I thought you nailed the sprint pretty good, and went pretty wide open in the distaff, with your prediction that Riboletta was going to break down in the race and not finish.
No and No.

My brilliant stand against Riboletta was wasted with Lukas running 1-2 and Spain winning.

Your star Macho Uno held off Point Given.

I had a few nice bet againsts that year - but I really sucked that day.

Remember when we put the P6 ticket together in 2001 - and those guys used my poor BC record against me?
Old 10-15-2010, 04:45 AM
Saratoga

2008 and 2009 were very good. Set a 200 budget per race to play P3's with 1 very deep ticket per for about 100 and 100 with more isolated tickets. Hit a 5K and 1K in 2008 and another 1K in 2009, Still broken up missing the totally gettable Vale of York and the 6K P3 (Euro First Lasix, Hockey's contest pick).

Worst by far was Monmouth where I totally overhandicapped for the conditions. I was too caught up in Wet Pedigree instead of simply focusing on who was the best horses in the race..
Old 10-15-2010, 06:02 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

last year ok hitting the mig down the hill at sa
monmouth bad was working and didnt cap well
belmont was great and like hoss taste of paradise would have made me well
singletary killed my pick 6 j spencer ran up his ass on anonus plius.who i also had bet wps/pick 3s ect ..
churchill good ivasor beating bern was upsetting but wolfson turf win was great.
arl park was good

2010?
Old 10-15-2010, 06:11 AM
The Curragh

2005, caught half of the late pick 4 ending with St Liam for $8500. Needed the NZ Starcraft for over 100K He loomed boldly at the top of the stretch before retreating (at least that's the way I remember it).
Old 10-15-2010, 06:33 AM
Gulfstream Park

I started playing the BC in 2004 and have only had one winning year. The rest were disasters.

2006 was my only winning year. Win bet on Maryfield in the F&M Sprint, and also singled her in the Pick 3. A large win bet on English Channel on Day 2 also helped.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:39 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK View Post
Pleasant Home
Have a nice framed 16X20 of her in my bedroom.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:44 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
The same day, Hystericalady (9/1) was easily my biggest bet of the entire day - and Ginger Punch came skating up the inside to beat her.
This is one of the worst memories I have in gambling. Jerry Baird gave Ginger Punch the rail going down the backstretch and that was it. If she goes wide, I think Hystericalady beats her. Oh well.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:48 AM
Gulfstream Park

Two of my most successful years were early on but still my favorites:

1986 --- Manila

1988 --- Gulch with Play The King (exacta)

More recently in 2006 when Invasor drilled Bernardini was the highlight of a nice day.