Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-22-2006, 12:48 PM
Steve Byk

Default Annual Thoro-Graph Promo (Free)

A reminder that eternally generous Jerry Brown and the Thoro-Graph Team runs their annual free figures/info promotion 12/26-12/31 again this year... It's done more as a thank you to existing users than to bring in new customers, but is a great chance to see if you would like the 'figs' and if they can help you at the windows...

Just register at "TG" and you can enjoy all the 'sheets' you want during the promo. You do have to fill in the registration with billing info for down the road if you start to buy cards, but don't let that intimidate you.. No one will have a problem with having anything charged to you fraudulently.

HERE'S THE TG WEBSITE: http://www.thorograph.com/index.php

Scavs and I, who are both involved with TG, and likely Randall, Mike, NC Tony, Hooves, etc., will be around to help anyone unfamiliar with TG performance figures and how to interpret them, so it's a rare opportunity to learn how they work and how to apply them in your capping and wagering.

Last edited by Kasept : 12-22-2006 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:58 PM
Coach Pants

I've always used the form. It's a habit i've been meaning to break. But sometimes change is hard and I get intimidated easily.

Show me the way of TG, friends.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:47 AM
Steve Byk

A reminder that the TG info is out there daily for everyone to use and enjoy..

Won't be shy or embarassed telling you that it helped catch the P4 at SA yesterday for a modest investment by assisting in the elimination of extraneous horses. Won't always give you the winner, but can really help narrow the "likely's"...
Old 12-27-2006, 08:46 AM
Newmarket

Its a great offer and a great handicapping tool.

Started downloading TG yesterday. I only use it occaisionally during the year but during the offer I run wild with it.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:54 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Have looked at them in the past...seem a bit out of the realm for some of us "intellectually challenged"
Old 12-27-2006, 09:44 AM
Santa Anita

They're my fav tool. When I allow myself to enjoy a bit of a gamble.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:20 AM
Steve Byk

Anyone that is using them for the first time, or first time in a while, feel free to post questions...

Scavs, NC Tony, myself or someone will be happy to try to help you get a feel for them...
Old 12-27-2006, 10:42 AM
Coach Pants

90 pages a card. Jesus.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
90 pages a card. Jesus.
Use the thoroquick option then...
Old 12-27-2006, 11:42 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointg5

I find it easier anyway -- more or less, all of the information I need is on the quick sheets -- unless I want to go back to another year for a horse....
Old 12-27-2006, 12:02 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointg5
you know regarding this I have this opinion.

Thoroquick is good for number power, hard to read patterns. But when you have the full sheet, you have the ability to read the pattern alot better, as far as layoffs. Just something I noticed. either way, the information is golden to a handicapper.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Steve Byk

TR,

Funny, I've come to prefer the Quicks to the full sheet.. Like the concise Pattern Boxes, etc. and get a good feel for recent fig arcs..
Old 12-27-2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
TR,

Funny, I've come to prefer the Quicks to the full sheet.. Like the concise Pattern Boxes, etc. and get a good feel for recent fig arcs..
and don't have to go through an entire ream of paper if you ever want to take them with you.....

which with no account wagering here....is sort of a big deal!
Old 12-27-2006, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Anyone that is using them for the first time, or first time in a while, feel free to post questions...
On a sidenote, Steve -- are you or anyone else able to explain the patterns they have where it says like (Top-Pair-Off) (12-12-17) and how on earth we are supposed to use that? I've read the TG explanation of it about 50 times and still don't get it.

It's one of the very few things I don't understand on the sheets -- is it helpful to understand? How can we apply it to capping?
Old 12-27-2006, 12:37 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwspencer
and don't have to go through an entire ream of paper if you ever want to take them with you.. which with no account wagering here....is sort of a big deal!
True enough Bri.. Plus for me, I typically have to cap certain things quickly and frequently on short notice on the radio, and the Thoro-Quick is a great "at a glance" tool.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:52 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

the voodoo works...lol
Old 12-27-2006, 01:05 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
TR,

I agree Steve, but for some reason I have had more success using the full sheet then the quick, as far as pattern reading. I think it is because the pattern is more defined on the full sheet as far as dates, compared to the quicks where you have to 'space' the dates yourself. With me still relatively new (1.5 years-2) with them, I am still learning. The quicks are much easier to read though, as far as number power and recentcy.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:08 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
On a sidenote, Steve -- are you or anyone else able to explain the patterns they have where it says like (Top-Pair-Off) (12-12-17) and how on earth we are supposed to use that? I've read the TG explanation of it about 50 times and still don't get it.

It's one of the very few things I don't understand on the sheets -- is it helpful to understand? How can we apply it to capping?
Ok, lets see the best way to explain this. The first race a horse ever runs is essentially his top. the 2nd race, if he runs a better number, he runs a 'new' top. Lets say the horse moves backward a little, it is considered as an 'off' number from his top. If the horse moves back ALOT, it is considered an 'x'

The horses' effective top is his best number that he run, and the idea is to find horses that will run new tops or find the pattern to where a horse is progessing to his/her top.

a little more clear, I probably just confused it even more
Old 12-27-2006, 01:24 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:

Bri,

The "Thoro-Pattern" is a relatively new analysis. It is a "predictor" based on a universe of horse performance data. It basically summarizes what horses that have run the same set of figures might do in this situation based on the pattern.

For instance, you cited a 12-12-17 "set" which was a "Top-Pair-Off" series of performances for that horse. The "Thoro-Pattern" is telling you that historically, when horses run a range of numbers like that (12-12-17/Top-Pair-Off) they do the following in their subsequent start:

TOP: 14% (14% of the time they run a new Top best figure)
PAIR: 26% (26% of the time they Pair up to their best figure)
OFF: 38% (38% of the time the run a figure 1-3 points Off their best fig)
X: 22% (22% of the time they run a figure 3+ points off their best)

In other words, after running a Top-Pair-Off, it is only 14% likely that the horse is now going to run BETTER than that 12 (which is his Top)...

Adding the Pair and Top tells you that there is a total opportunity of 40% (14+26) that the horse will run a 12 or better...

Adding the Off and X together tells you that the horse is 60% likely to run WORSE than a 13 and higher.

If you see there are horses in the race running 8's and 9's, you can feel good that this horse with the 12-12-17 is NOT going to jump up and beat you and you can eliminate him. If the horses in the race have been running 20's and 22's, and you can't see one that has a reason to improve, you can feel good that your 12-12-17 horse is going to run a race that should make him the most likely winner.

Does that give you a better understanding of it?
Old 12-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Bri,

The "Thoro-Pattern" is a relatively new analysis. It is a "predictor" based on a universe of horse performance data. It basically summarizes what horses that have run the same set of figures might do in this situation based on the pattern.

For instance, you cited a 12-12-17 "set" which was a "Top-Pair-Off" series of performances for that horse. The "Thoro-Pattern" is telling you that historically, when horses run a range of numbers like that (12-12-17/Top-Pair-Off) they do the following in their subsequent start:

TOP: 14% (14% of the time they run a new Top best figure)
PAIR: 26% (26% of the time they Pair up to their best figure)
OFF: 38% (38% of the time the run a figure 1-3 points Off their best fig)
X: 22% (22% of the time they run a figure 3+ points off their best)

In other words, after running a Top-Pair-Off, it is only 14% likely that the horse is now going to run BETTER than that 12 (which is his Top)...

Adding the Pair and Top tells you that there is a total opportunity of 40% (14+26) that the horse will run a 12 or better...

Adding the Off and X together tells you that the horse is 60% likely to run WORSE than a 13 and higher.

If you see there are horses in the race running 8's and 9's, you can feel good that this horse with the 12-12-17 is NOT going to jump up and beat you and you can eliminate him. If the horses in the race have been running 20's and 22's, and you can't see one that has a reason to improve, you can feel good that your 12-12-17 horse is going to run a race that should make him the most likely winner.

Does that give you a better understanding of it?
Brian, what he said....

Let me ask you this Steve, how often are you using the Thoro-Pattern numbers? As many know, I have to try and eliminate as much frustration from my handicapping because I am TILT city if I get frustrated. I have found that I rely on them way too much and look back and say to myself "He had a 65% chance to top or pair and I can't even get that" Thus I then get to visit Tilt City