Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Keeneland

The point I'm trying to make is that maybe - gee, just maybe - the folks in charge actually give a damn about the lives of horses and jockeys.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 05-25-2009, 07:36 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwspencer
I don't think it is for all surfaces...but whether or not Arlington put theirs in to quell the outrage around Chicago, the fact remains that it was a HUGE PR move for them. It was almost like they had to based on what happened here the summer prior.

Can't say for sure, but Arlington's Polytrack installation came under and out of a very unique set of circumstances, so tossing Arlington's installation in with the point you're obviously trying to make is a bit misleading.

As you know, I'm not anywheres near as bright as yourself.... what exactly is the point that she is "obviously" trying to make?

http://www.playlist.com/playlist/15640118795/standalone
Old 05-25-2009, 07:36 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob
Seriously...kids by the rail were crying their eyes out and parents grabbed them and left..
I understand the crying because seeing something like that would make anybody that cares about animals/humans upset.

The parents grabbing seems drastic on their part. Parents are nuts now days. I actually called one out on Facebook today as she was bitching about all the pictures of people drinking on the Arlington Park Live Facebook page.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:42 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
I understand the crying because seeing something like that would make anybody that cares about animals/humans upset.

The parents grabbing seems drastic on their part. Parents are nuts now days. I actually called one out on Facebook today as she was bitching about all the pictures of people drinking on the Arlington Park Live Facebook page.
Your kid is crying hysterically..there is a soon to be dead horse flopping around 30 yards from them and a jockey unconcisous 35 yards away. I would get my kids out as fast as possible too.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:43 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Your kid is crying hysterically..there is a soon to be dead horse flopping around 30 yards from them and a jockey unconcisous 35 yards away. I would get my kids out as fast as possible too.
True, probably from the "I don't know what is going to happen so error on side of caution" angle....
Old 05-25-2009, 07:49 PM
The Curragh

Scav, If you ever have kids .... your perspective might change a lil....just sayin it could happen.... cause it did a lil with me

http://www.playlist.com/playlist/15640118795/standalone
Old 05-25-2009, 07:51 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payson Dave
Scav, If you ever have kids .... your perspective might change a lil....just sayin it could happen.... cause it did a lil with me
I know, I wasn't questioning it...
Old 05-25-2009, 07:54 PM
Havre de Grace

When you going to Vegas again,Scavs?
Old 05-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmgirvan
When you going to Vegas again,Scavs?
Possibly in November, but unlikely. There are talks for an ultimate vacation going down

Breeders Cup: Thursday Night, Friday, Saturday
Vegas: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday
San Fran vs Bears: Wednesday, Thursday
Back to Chicago: Friday
Old 05-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
The point I'm trying to make is that maybe - gee, just maybe - the folks in charge actually give a damn about the lives of horses and jockeys.
Of course. And I'm a big proponent of synthetic surfaces. Just saying that there is a difference between how Arlington did theirs and how other tracks did. Arlington had to do something. The two can very well go hand in hand, though Arlington's could very easily be viewed as nothing more than a PR move. To be honest, in their case, I imagine it was quite a bit of both. They didn't want breakdowns any more than anyone else did, but cynically, it was a brilliant PR move...the best they could have made.

I'm not disagreeing with you one bit, and didn't intend for it to sound like I was. I was just noting that the Arlington situation was a bit different than others in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payson Dave
As you know, I'm not anywheres near as bright as yourself.... what exactly is the point that she is "obviously" trying to make?
Was her rhetorical question that tough for you to decipher? "No" is the point she was obviously trying to make....glad to be of service again on things like this for you, tiger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
You really think that public perception outside the industry was the driving force for the installation of synthetic surfaces?
Old 05-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Of course. And I'm a big proponent of synthetic surfaces. Just saying that there is a difference between how Arlington did theirs and how other tracks did. Arlington had to do something. The two can very well go hand in hand, though Arlington's could very easily be viewed as nothing more than a PR move. To be honest, in their case, I imagine it was quite a bit of both. They didn't want breakdowns any more than anyone else did, but cynically, it was a brilliant PR move...the best they could have made.

I'm not disagreeing with you one bit, and didn't intend for it to sound like I was. I was just noting that the Arlington situation was a bit different than others in that regard.

Was her rhetorical question that tough for you to decipher? "No" is the point she was obviously trying to make....glad to be of service again on things like this for you, tiger.
Let me first say that I am a huge fan of Arlington's surface BUT they could have just redid the base and kept dirt, the problem wasn't the dirt, it was the bottom which was like driving on Higgins near the airport.....
Old 05-25-2009, 08:37 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
but cynically, it was a brilliant PR move...the best they could have made.
Dick Duchossois doesn't do anything he doesn't want to do and doesn't believe in.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 05-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Dee Tee Stables

looks like both jocks in the spill are ok, just read that inez was released from the hospital-they found nothing wrong. but i'd imagine she's sore-or will be tomorrow.

not sure if anyone was watching lone star today, but flibberjibit was pulled up on the first turn. just read this:

"Flibberjibit was pulled up in the one-mile turf race with an injury to her left hind leg, one race before the Lone Star.

"She took a bad step on the first turn," said Wolfson, who said it appeared Flibberjibit might have sustained a condylar fracture. "I'll see when we get back to the barn if we can do some surgery on her. I don't know."

hope she makes it ok.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Gulfstream Park

The next question is.......before the parents hastily ran their kids out of the AP picnic area, did they stop at a self service terminal to play the final race trifecta?
Old 05-26-2009, 08:55 PM
pgardn

Quote:
The dreaded curtain exists for a reason.
The kids get very upset with a horse flopping around.
Jocks down often lay there, but dont flail violently around like
a large animnal. Its very upsetting to kids down on the stretch
track level. The horses are supposed to be running
and the kids see them doing something very diff.

Even the little ones ask what is the horse doing, not usually
concern for the jock as it is not eyecatching.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
Let me first say that I am a huge fan of Arlington's surface BUT they could have just redid the base and kept dirt, the problem wasn't the dirt, it was the bottom which was like driving on Higgins near the airport.....
that road makes a warzone look good
Old 05-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Randwyck

Watch some races from Europe and abroad if you want to see riders riding "tight". They ride whole lot closer to each other with alot more horses in the race so the whole blaming synthetic tracks for horses being bunched and that somehow causes more accidents is just stupid. Accidents happen , the guy didnt mean to drop him , he meant to beat him to the hole and 95% of the time things work out fine , this time it didnt .

Horses are like strawberries....they can go bad overnight. Charlie Whittingham
Old 05-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Your kid is a lot tougher than those wusses, she wouldn't cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honu
Watch some races from Europe and abroad if you want to see riders riding "tight". They ride whole lot closer to each other with alot more horses in the race so the whole blaming synthetic tracks for horses being bunched and that somehow causes more accidents is just stupid. Accidents happen , the guy didnt mean to drop him , he meant to beat him to the hole and 95% of the time things work out fine , this time it didnt .
Theriot isn't a dirty rider, and I'm sure him and Douglas are friends. I agree the accident involving those two was in no way surface related, however the Inez breakdown was different.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:34 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
Your kid is a lot tougher than those wusses, she wouldn't cry
My kids only cry if they lose a bet.......I have no idea where they got that from.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Aqueduct

I'll chime in here and probably get some heat but im sorry the track is really no place for small kids. Just to many bad things can happen like Sat. i was at CD on a Sat and something happen very similar and there was this family and the dad was holding the daughter who was crying her eyes out b/c she had "voted" on the horse that went down. It was truly heart wrenching and i left the track immediatley. I know that people think that to spur interest they need to bring kids to the track but im sorry i dont think there is any reason for a kid under 12 to be at the track. My future wife and i have discussed this and i told her no way would i take my kid till they are at least 12 and i can explain to them in a somewhat rational manner what has happened and that it is a tragic thing that happens but there is usually nothing that anyone can do. Just my .02