Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-09-2007, 10:36 PM
easy goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
I was thinking the other day about all-time overlays and that certainly is on the list. The joke of it was he won the Remsen, was 2nd in the Hollywood Futurity, won the FoY, and won the Fla Derby before the clunker in the Blue Grass. How they let him go at that price was amazing. I was 17 years old and remember going to the OTB down the block to bet it and had to get someone to cash my ticket for me!!! LOL
Something happened to him in the Blue grass. They went 49 sec. to the 1/2 and then TG tired! So I dunno if people thought he had got hurt or what. Obviously the race was a toss for handicapping purposes, in retro spect.

Im going from what I read, but do you recall anything else about that Bluegrass? Did they say TG got hurt or something?

OH yeah before I forget, one more thing about this closer/front runner thing...

It seems the last 5 or 6 years have produced more winners from just off the pace then what's typical. And I dont mean that to say that this is in aberration and that the race must be run to the statistical norm of 50% closers....

What I mean is perhaps there are emerging trends that are making this race now favorable to stalkers,perhaps trainers are more choosey on who they send to this race. I dont have an answer to that, but it's just another issue that favors the other argument against closers.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Woodbine

it doesn't matter if the horse closes,stalks or leads at a mile and a quarter the horse has to relax and hit his best stride to reserve energy. go ahead bet nobiz (underlay) if he repeats satudays performance use your tickets as crying towels. someone was talking about this horses potential. i learned a long time ago potential does not cash winning tickets. that horse has not run a proper race yet, he either puts it together derby day or he will lose. from his prior performances are you willing to take a low price and bet on it ?