Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-01-2017, 09:08 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
Agree. Arrogate is clearly far and away the best horse to run this year. And his 2 giant G1 wins should be enough for HOY. Especially since one was against the main competition and he beat him on the square.
It's a tough call but the 2 wins, (1 v. 3yo restricted company), are just not enough in comparison to a complete January-November season which includes as high profile an International win as there is available. Arrogate can win his HOY in '17. Chrome deserves this nod, especially in light of how uncertain things were for him at the end of 2015.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:22 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
It's a tough call but the 2 wins, (1 v. 3yo restricted company), are just not enough in comparison to a complete January-November season which includes as high profile an International win as there is available. Arrogate can win his HOY in '17. Chrome deserves this nod, especially in light of how uncertain things were for him at the end of 2015.
A big performance today will enter into the equation even if it shouldn't.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:45 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
A big performance today will enter into the equation even if it shouldn't.
He's out.. Baffert doesn't want to run him on the waterlogged track.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:32 AM
Steve Byk

As a member of the sport's media, I'm embarrassed and apologize for the ignorance and laziness that saw Klaravich Stables (Seth Klarman)/William Lawrence left out of the Ownership finalists. It's a stunning oversight or slight.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:37 AM
Oriental Park

Surprised that Lord Nelson is the 3rd finalist for Older Male.

Granted, they didn't set the world on fire (and its a moot point anyways since California Chrome will win unanimously), but Melatonin won 2 important races (Big Cap, Gold Cup) as did Shaman Ghost (Brooklyn, Woodward) and Hoppertunity (San Antonio, Jockey Club Gold Cup) and Effinex (Oaklawn, Suburban).

Lord Nelson won 3 stakes and I don't think there was a fellow Grade 1 horse in any of those (which makes his Grade 1 status suspect as well). The best horses he beat were Kobe's Back and Ambitious Brew.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:48 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
As a member of the sport's media, I'm embarrassed and apologize for the ignorance and laziness that saw Klaravich Stables (Seth Klarman)/William Lawrence left out of the Ownership finalists. It's a stunning oversight or slight.
It's embarrassing. Too many irresponsible voters. Not fair to those that pay attention and vote responsibly, but it's absurd that Ramsey got more votes.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:25 PM
Steve Byk

The 2016 Eclipse Awards winners and voting. Scoring represents the first selection of the 248 who submitted ballots:

Horse of the Year: California Chrome, 202; Arrogate, 40; Songbird, 5; Highland Reel, 1.

Two-Year-Old Male: Classic Empire, 248; Not This Time, Practical Joke

Two-Year-Old Filly: Champagne Room, 202; New Money Honey, 21; Lady Aurelia, 11; Pretty City Dancer, 5; Shane’s Girlfriend, 3; Abel Tasman, 2; Miss Sky Warrior, 2; Victory to Victory, 1; Voter Abstentions, 1

Three-Year-Old Male: Arrogate, 243; Exaggerator, 2; Nyquist, 2; Gun Runner, 1.

Three-Year-Old Filly: Songbird, 248; Cathryn Sophia, Queen’s Trust (GB)

Older Dirt Male: California Chrome, 248; Frosted, Lord Nelson

Older Dirt Female: Beholder, 246; Stellar Wind, 2, Cavorting.

Male Sprinter: Drefong, 199; Lord Nelson, 29; A.P. Indian, 20.

Female Sprinter: Finest City, 185; Haveyougoneaway, 20; Paulassilverlining, 13; Taris, 12; Carina Mia, 11; Constellation, 2; Lightstream, 1; Songbird, 1. Voter Abstentions, 3.

Male Turf Horse: Flintshire (GB), 137; Highland Reel (IRE), 76; Tourist, 32; Da Big Hoss, 1. Voter Abstentions, 2

Female Turf Horse: Tepin, 225; Found (IRE), 11; Queen’s Trust (GB), 7; Lady Eli, 2; Miss Temple City, 2; Catch a Glimpse, 1.

Steeplechase Horse: Rawnaq (IRE), 171; Top Striker, 31; Special Skills, 2; Bob Le Beau (IRE), 1; Portrade (IRE), 1. Voter Abstentions, 42.

Owner: Juddmonte Farms, Inc., 134; Kenneth and Sarah Ramsey, 45; Klaravich Stables, Inc., and William Lawrence, 17; Spendthrift Farm, LLC, 17; California Chrome, LLC, 16; Reddam Racing LLC, 4; Fox Hill Farms, Inc. 3; John Oxley, 3; WinStar Farm, 2; End Zone Athletics, 1; Midwest Thoroughbreds, Inc., 1. Voter Abstentions, 5.

Breeder: WinStar Farm, LLC; 164; Clearsky Farms, 62; Juddmonte Farms, Ltd., 4; Darley, 3; Perry Martin and Steve Coburn, 3; Adena Springs, 2; Kenneth and Sarah Ramsey, 1; Machmer Hall, 1. Voter Abstentions, 8.

Trainer: Chad Brown, 208; Bob Baffert, 21; Mark Casse, 11; Art Sherman, 3; Steve Asmussen, 2; Karl Broberg, 1; Todd Pletcher, 1. Voter Abstention, 1.

Jockey: Javier Castellano, 146; Mike Smith, 44; Jose Ortiz, 41; Florent Geroux,12; Irad Ortiz, Jr., 2; Julien Leparoux, 1. Voter Abstentions, 2.

Apprentice Jockey: Luis Ocasio, 182; Lane Luzzi, 34; Eric Cancel, 1; Ashley Castrenze, 1. Voter Abstentions, 30.

In addition to honoring the 17 winners in the horse and human categories, Andrew Beyer, journalist, author and creator of the Beyer Speed Figures, and Steven Crist, racing writer and publisher, will both receive the Eclipse Award of Merit for a lifetime of achievement in the Thoroughbred industry. Paul Matties will receive an Eclipse Award as the 2016 Horseplayer of the Year.

Last edited by Kasept : 01-22-2017 at 05:11 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:23 PM
Washington Park

No need to apologize Steve. Those of us who follow racing saw what a good year Klaravich had. I think you were 100% right.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:16 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

A grave injustice was done here. 3rd? lol.
Amazing.
I mean I know most here love Chrome and have an issue w/ Bob, but does h2h mean nothing? Does settling it on the track not matter? H2H in the biggest race in America.... Chrome was given an easy lead and was run down on the money fair and square. How could he ever beat him if he couldn't that day? Imagine if anyone pushed Chrome and Arrogate just settled in 3rd or 4th he could have won by 10.
He is the most brilliant horse since Bernardini and was robbed of this award. Its ok though. H2H again in 6 days and he will win again. And one would think that 9f at Gulfstream would be a dream for Chrome, right? Arrogate is clearly a true classic 10f horse. But it wont matter because he oozes class. They had a NYRA calendar give away at OTB today and a contest so it was more crowded then usual. I heard a group of men talking about this race saying Chrome will be a heavy favorite. They went on and on how he is going to be 3-5 and you cant make money betting him. I felt like I was in an alternate universe. If Arrogate isn't favored someone knows something the public doesn't. But I guess hopefully he isn't favored. Maybe people get sentimental and bet Chrome being his last race. I sure hope so.
And I don't even want to get started on how he finished 3rd in the voting. I could write 10 pages on why he was more deserving then Songbird. How was she even considered for HOY? She faced older females once set a controlled pace and lost. I don't get it at all. Melatonin was more deserving. Hell so was Frosted. And its not even close. Take a step back and really think about it, even if you love Songbird. Deal in facts. A 3yr old girl who only beat up on a subpar class of 3yr old girls is the 2nd most deserving horse for HOY. And while she was beating up on those 3yr old girls she never really ran fast. Where was her fast race? I still right now don't see it when looking at her pps.

Last edited by RHT2004 : 01-22-2017 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:33 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
A grave injustice was done here. 3rd? lol.
Amazing.
I mean I know most here love Chrome and have an issue w/ Bob, but does h2h mean nothing? Does settling it on the track not matter? H2H in the biggest race in America.... Chrome was given an easy lead and was run down on the money fair and square. How could he ever beat him if he couldn't that day? Imagine if anyone pushed Chrome and Arrogate just settled in 3rd or 4th he could have won by 10.
He is the most brilliant horse since Bernardini and was robbed of this award. Its ok though. H2H again in 6 days and he will win again. And one would think that 9f at Gulfstream would be a dream for Chrome, right? Arrogate is clearly a true classic 10f horse. But it wont matter because he oozes class. They had a NYRA calendar give away at OTB today and a contest so it was more crowded then usual. I heard a group of men talking about this race saying Chrome will be a heavy favorite. They went on and on how he is going to be 3-5 and you cant make money betting him. I felt like I was in an alternate universe. If Arrogate isn't favored someone knows something the public doesn't. But I guess hopefully he isn't favored. Maybe people get sentimental and bet Chrome being his last race. I sure hope so.
And I don't even want to get started on how he finished 3rd in the voting. I could write 10 pages on why he was more deserving then Songbird. How was she even considered for HOY? She faced older females once set a controlled pace and lost. I don't get it at all. Melatonin was more deserving. Hell so was Frosted. And its not even close. Take a step back and really think about it, even if you love Songbird. Deal in facts. A 3yr old girl who only beat up on a subpar class of 3yr old girls is the 2nd most deserving horse for HOY. And while she was beating up on those 3yr old girls she never really ran fast. Where was her fast race? I still right now don't see it when looking at her pps.
Oh brother. Better check the votes there rock head.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:37 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

I see it now. But screw it she shouldn't even be 3rd.