Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Del Mar

Agree. The horse has shown today to be something very special. Maybe not amonst the greatest ever, but on a short list of exceptional talents we are only seldom are to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2 View Post
I've always been a detractor, and yes, I was desperately cheering for Blame to hold her off.

However, she ran very well, and proved to me that she is a better horse than I ever gave her credit for. I'm glad she didn't finish undefeated, but the point many people were trying to make in criticizing the way she was campaigned was that losing a race wasn't the end of the world. And it isn't. She ran a very good race.

For me, this race enhanced her reputation. Sure she was overrated by many and that made me dislike her, but today she travelled away from her home base, beat some very good dirt horses on dirt, and lost by a nose to another very good horse.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
His Foster was no higher then a 105, Im 2 lazy to look right now. His other big # was the Whitney, not that either is HUGE.
Foster was 103 and Whitney was 111. For what it's worth, Gomez said that this is the best race Blame has ever run for him.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
His Foster was no higher then a 105, Im 2 lazy to look right now. His other big # was the Whitney, not that either is HUGE.
I don't use DRF so I don't know, if it's 105 then that's lower than I thought, however he sure seems to have an affinity for the track at CD.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Oriental Park

He ran a 113
Old 11-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewbopper View Post
There is a reason I don't post here often.....This board is into nothng positive in horse racing. Cutting down a great mare and gloating when she loses is the rule of the road here.
Perhaps you should try Thoroughbred Champions... Lots of her fans over there...
Old 11-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bid View Post
He ran a 113
It was a 103 in the Foster. I have his PPs right in front of me.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bid View Post
He ran a 113
Who Blame?
Old 11-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Flemington

I am of the belief that in any aspect of life consistency should count for something. Work, home, personal, sports and especially horse racing. The sport that we all love, who has ever been this consistent, over this long a period of time? I don't care if shes running on dirt, turf, synthetic, or literally running on ****... She has got there 19/20 times, and I truly believe she ran her A race today and was best. Like in any other race, for handicapping purposes we look at trips, and the entire race... I believe she was best today, she simply ran a better race then Blame. Blame pulled the better trip, got the jump on her and ran hard and beat her. It should take nothing away from Zenyatta. Fine she is not one of the best ever, fine... She is easily the most consistent. Blame did not show up in the JCGC, Quality Road had not shown up multiple times already. Rachel was beaten multiple times.... Ghostzapper lost, Point Given lost... Further back Cigar and Skip Away lost. I believe that Zenyatta connections cost her any chance at being an ALL TIME GREAT, by not shipping her around this year. She had already won 2 BC races... This year should have been a tour... She should have run in the Donn-Foster-Whitney-Woodward-JCGC and Classic. I'm confident she would have won at least 3 of those 5 races, she would have been very likely second in the other 2 and would absolutely be HOY, something that might evade her now. I think even the Z haters need to realize now she is as good if not better on dirt and the connections should be ashamed of themselves. I can only hope they run her again this year, if not bring her back for another campaign next year. Run her until she doesn't fire, when that day comes then retire her. There is nothing wrong with that.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Fairgrounds

Blame got a 111 for the Whitney so pairing that was an easy call. However, it surprises me is that they didn't split the variant from the Juvy and instead gave Uncle Mo a legit 108 instead of an artificially lower number.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC View Post
Who Blame?
Blame ran a 103 in the Foster. His PPs are right in front of me.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
I am of the belief that in any aspect of life consistency should count for something. Work, home, personal, sports and especially horse racing. The sport that we all love, who has ever been this consistent, over this long a period of time? I don't care if shes running on dirt, turf, synthetic, or literally running on ****... She has got there 19/20 times, and I truly believe she ran her A race today and was best. Like in any other race, for handicapping purposes we look at trips, and the entire race... I believe she was best today, she simply ran a better race then Blame. Blame pulled the better trip, got the jump on her and ran hard and beat her. It should take nothing away from Zenyatta. Fine she is not one of the best ever, fine... She is easily the most consistent. Blame did not show up in the JCGC, Quality Road had not shown up multiple times already. Rachel was beaten multiple times.... Ghostzapper lost, Point Given lost... Further back Cigar and Skip Away lost. I believe that Zenyatta connections cost her any chance at being an ALL TIME GREAT, by not shipping her around this year. She had already won 2 BC races... This year should have been a tour... She should have run in the Donn-Foster-Whitney-Woodward-JCGC and Classic. I'm confident she would have won at least 3 of those 5 races, she would have been very likely second in the other 2 and would absolutely be HOY, something that might evade her now. I think even the Z haters need to realize now she is as good if not better on dirt and the connections should be ashamed of themselves. I can only hope they run her again this year, if not bring her back for another campaign next year. Run her until she doesn't fire, when that day comes then retire her. There is nothing wrong with that.
I agreee with you that Zenyatta would have won today with a better trip. But as I said before, when you come from 15-20 lengths back in a 12 horse field, you're not going to always get a great trip.

Blame actually may have had an excuse in his last race (the JCGC). He was supposed to fly in on Thursday but there was a problem with the plane and he didn't end up flying in until Friday (the day before the race). There is a reason why horses don't fly in the day before the race. The reason is that they rarely run well when they do. That is why Tex Sutton never schedules flights the day before the race. Nobody wants to come in the day before because horses usually need a day to recover from the trip. Anyway, that might have been the reason that Blame through in the clunker in the Jockey Club Gold Cup.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
Blame actually may have had an excuse in his last race (the JCGC). He was supposed to fly in on Thursday but there was a problem with the plane and he didn't end up flying in until Friday (the day before the race). There is a reason why horses don't fly in the day before the race. The reason is that they rarely run well when they do. That is why Tex Sutton never schedules flights the day before the race. Nobody wants to come in the day before because horses usually need a day to recover from the trip. Anyway, that might have been the reason that Blame through in the clunker in the Jockey Club Gold Cup.
Uh huh.

And Fly Down?

Blame and Fly Down basically both ran back to their JCGC races .. the loose on the lead winner Haynesfield did not.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Keeneland

She ran well and got beat by a better horse. He wasn't much better, but he was. She's a very, very nice horse, but never as good as some were making her. Also puts to sleep the silly notion that she only runs as fast as she has to.

You can't really take anything away from her performance, because she ran her heart out. So did Blame. It was a fantastic finish and a great way to conclude a weird weekend.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Flemington

Quote:
I agreee with you that Zenyatta would have won today with a better trip. But as I said before, when you come from 15-20 lengths back in a 12 horse field, you're not going to always get a great trip.

Your first 2 sentences is my point... She has always overcome it, and you can argue, even in defeat she did again today.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC View Post
A very exciting race, Blame looked like he walks to victory but Zenyatta makes a race out of it when she looked like she was totally out of it, she will get more respect out of finishing second than winning the race.
Not that it matters now, but Blame dug-in when he finally heard Zenyatta coming and he ended-up galloping-out past her. And even after the wire Blame still held his lead, which makes you question the "one more jump" or "one more stride."

I will say this... I've seen some pretty exciting races. The electricity at CD today was awesome. The race itself was intense and thrilling. Even though Blame was my top pick all summer for this race, I found myself watching her from start to finish

In terms of drama, that's exactly what needed to happen... Zenyatta trying to catch someone, putting it all on her late kick. Regardless of the result, it was a great race, exciting finish and horse racing got a lot of play today.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arletta View Post
Perhaps you should try Thoroughbred Champions... Lots of her fans over there...

I prefer the wimmin over there to the a$$holes here. Most of them have a soul.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS View Post
Uh huh.

And Fly Down?

Blame and Fly Down basically both ran back to their JCGC races .. the loose on the lead winner Haynesfield did not.
Fly Down ran 10x better today. He never switched leads in the JCGC.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Fly Down ran 10x better today. He never switched leads in the JCGC.
Considering the pace and final time ... he's the horse who I'd be most interested in betting against out of this race.

I bet him in the Travers and still swear he won the photo when he got a similar pace setup.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Oriental Park

Rupert Im talking about todays number 113, not foster
Old 11-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewbopper View Post
I prefer the wimmin over there to the a$$holes here. Most of them have a soul.
Do they PM you boobie pics?