Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Fairgrounds

Default Second O'Neill horse tests positive

Doug O誰eill, the leading trainer this summer at Del Mar, has been cited for having his horse Argenta test for a high amount of total carbon dioxide (TCO2), commonly referred to as a milkshake, the California Horse Racing Board announced Tuesday.

http://drf.com/news/second-oneill-ho...carbon-dioxide
Old 09-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Flemington

duh
Old 09-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan07 View Post
Doug O誰eill, the leading trainer this summer at Del Mar, has been cited for having his horse Argenta test for a high amount of total carbon dioxide (TCO2), commonly referred to as a milkshake, the California Horse Racing Board announced Tuesday.

http://drf.com/news/second-oneill-ho...carbon-dioxide
and to think Jeff Mullins is having a terrible Delmar Meet!
Old 09-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Sha Tin

Ya wanna know what is the biggest problem that this game has to overcome?

This is the second time O誰eill has been cited for a TCO2 infraction this year. In April, his horse Stephen Got Hope tested for a high amount of TCO2 at the Illinois Derby at Hawthorne. After a delay, O誰eill eventually served a 15-day suspension, from June 30 until July 15, during the end of the summer season at Hollywood Park. During that time, O誰eill痴 owners joined him in solidarity, and he did not start any horses in the name of his assistant, Leandro Mora.

Denial by the people who allow it to happen.

Interesting that his horses have so much trouble with passing TCO2 tests and in other cases actually staying alive.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post

This is the second time O誰eill has been cited for a TCO2 infraction this year. In April, his horse Stephen Got Hope tested for a high amount of TCO2 at the Illinois Derby at Hawthorne. After a delay, O誰eill eventually served a 15-day suspension, from June 30 until July 15, during the end of the summer season at Hollywood Park. During that time, O誰eill痴 owners joined him in solidarity, and he did not start any horses in the name of his assistant, Leandro Mora.

Interesting that his horses have so much trouble with passing TCO2 tests and in other cases actually staying alive.
Would you expect anything less from the people that employ him?
Old 09-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35 View Post
Like "West Side Rentals." What a perfect match.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35 View Post
I would expect reasonable people to see that the laundry list of issues is becoming increasingly hard to pin on simple mistakes, selective persecution or whatever other lines he feeds them. Anyone can have a bad test, anyone can make a mistake. But the same guys having the same issues without some kind of retribution from the people that employ them makes all the other people in the sport (and i'm sure those not directly involved as well) weary.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
I would expect reasonable people to see that the laundry list of issues is becoming increasingly hard to pin on simple mistakes, selective persecution or whatever other lines he feeds them. Anyone can have a bad test, anyone can make a mistake. But the same guys having the same issues without some kind of retribution from the people that employ them makes all the other people in the sport (and i'm sure those not directly involved as well) weary.
It happened with Mullins, I was real surprised to see he was down on starts and more importantly wins. Problem is those hilarious owners went to O'Neil from Mullins.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:

steve asmussen picked up some of his best horses ever after his six month suspension. it's sad.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Washington Park

Perfect thread about one of the main reasons horse racing has a bad rep. As much as I love this game when money can be made it seems anything goes. It痴 really sad. I feel so sorry for the horses. When I die the last thing I want to come back as is a horse trained by Doug O'Neil and those like him. I'll be Trackrat Boobytrap. Someone please claim me.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Randwyck

Doug Sucks.

Horses are like strawberries....they can go bad overnight. Charlie Whittingham
Old 09-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honu View Post
Doug Sucks.
^^^^ Once tested positive for Extacy.

Make that 67 times.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Saratoga

Think I have lost her as a huge fan.

It's the risk one takes being a super star.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Flemington

BTW, this has to be at least the 4th time he's been caught doing this (2nd time this year.)
Old 09-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER View Post
BTW, this has to be at least the 4th time he's been caught doing this (2nd time this year.)
Scuds, you have to be a fan of Ray after this article.

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/do...l-a-tired-act/
Old 09-09-2010, 06:45 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav View Post
Scuds, you have to be a fan of Ray after this article.

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/do...l-a-tired-act/

Still think he shaked Peace Chant on 2-14 09 at Turf Paradise. He loves to claim off a clean trainer (Mandella,) and shake. He owned that horse outright. Horse ran huge that day to win that sprint stakes at Turf Paradise (1st off the claim.) Then, didn't race for 7 months. Showed up back East for Phipps. Ran o.k. for one race, and then hasn't run good in 3 races since. The last 2 races have been with O'neil. I guess the Phipps guy gave up, and they sold the horse back to O'neil. Hasn't raced since May 31. Horse might be in food cans by now. Tell you another time I think he cheated. The day that Bobby Flay chef guy from NYC had to settle (Mrs Kipling) for 2nd in the 3 year old filly turf stakes at Anita (Providencia.) I think he shaked the hell out of Acting Lady that day. Obviously he's shaked a lot of horses, but those two really stood out in my mind as examples of it. She was like the 8th choice. They kept saying she got a great trip, but she looked shaked to me. Full of run the whole way, and she's never looked that good since. I remember the owners just happened to be in from England to see the race. Kipling ran good, but O'neil had his filly ready to pull a house down the street. It's been worth it to him. He's made some nice money cheating, and not really had to pay the price. I knew he was cheating the 1st couple weeks of this meet. He was so happy. It was like they stopped testing the 1st part of this Del Mar meet. Did they wait (releasing this news) until the holiday weekend was over, and only 1 day was left in the meet? They are way too helpful to these dirty trainers.

Last edited by SCUDSBROTHER : 09-09-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:40 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

You know, I know the comments on those Paulick articles can be shrill, but someone mentioned that a trainer with a positive during the calendar year of a Breeders Cup shouldn't be allowed to run at the Breeders Cup doesn't sound like an altogether horrid idea.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Churchill Downs

What's it going to take to stop this guy?
Old 09-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Gulch View Post
What's it going to take to stop this guy?
A massive earthquake that has a disdain for fat guys with horrible fashion sense.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:09 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
A massive earthquake that has a disdain for fat guys with horrible fashion sense.

Wouldn't that eliminate Chuck too?