Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-06-2014, 06:15 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
Clippers would be idiotic to trade Griffin. I don't care about what he can't do. I will say the same thing I said a few years ago about Zach Randolph. There are very few people in the world that are capable of getting you 22-10 a night in the NBA. You don't trade away one that does unless you are getting another rare player. Carmelo Anthony is not that.
Ridiculous.

How many players in the world can average 28 points a game in the NBA? Guy finished 3rd in MVP voting last year. You may not like the trade which is fine but to act like PG1985 and pretend that Anthony doesn't have an elite skill set that is virtually unique to him is ridiculous. You say that very few people in the world are capable of 22-10 yet you don't like the guy who is putting up 26-9?
Old 01-06-2014, 06:37 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
So are you saying Melo has been unlucky to not play with better players? I thought he was great and he was supposed to be the game changer and the guy who makes people better? He makes no one better, at all. And of course Knicks fans would love Blake. I dont even like him, but he is 20-10 and younger. Melo plays no D at all. If he goes to the Clippers that instantly makes Golden St and Houston much better then LA. Where before it was close. Clippers go from a contender to the 6th best team in the West behind OKC, Houston, GS, Spurs and Portland. Yes Portland would be better then a Clipper team w/ Melo and an injured Paul for maybe 2 months.
I'm saying that Melo has played with pseudo-good PG's like Andre Miller and Ray Felton who aren't in the same class as Paul. Even clueless people (well most) can see that pairing a scorer like Anthony with a PG like Paul will lead to Anthony being a more efficient offensive player which is despite King Glorious' assertion a rare thing.
Melo's defense surely is no worse than Griffin's.
Anthony doesn't address the defensive issues that LA has but he doesn't make them worse in that area. Actually allowing him to guard more traditional post players will benefit him as he is better doing that than chasing 3's on the perimeter.

This idea that Carmelo Anthony is a team killer or cant win in the NBA is nonsense. The guy has 2 Olympic gold medals and a NCAA ring. He has never played on a team with a chance. What has always pissed me off about him is that he doesn't seem to understand how teams are built and his selfishness hamstrung the Knicks because they traded all their assets for him rather than him simply playing out the string and taking a little less money as a FA. Putting him on this team with Rivers as coach and Paul running things would be the best possible destination for him to max out his ability outside of Miami.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:50 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
I'm saying that Melo has played with pseudo-good PG's like Andre Miller and Ray Felton who aren't in the same class as Paul. Even clueless people (well most) can see that pairing a scorer like Anthony with a PG like Paul will lead to Anthony being a more efficient offensive player which is despite King Glorious' assertion a rare thing.
Melo's defense surely is no worse than Griffin's.
Anthony doesn't address the defensive issues that LA has but he doesn't make them worse in that area. Actually allowing him to guard more traditional post players will benefit him as he is better doing that than chasing 3's on the perimeter.

This idea that Carmelo Anthony is a team killer or cant win in the NBA is nonsense. The guy has 2 Olympic gold medals and a NCAA ring. He has never played on a team with a chance. What has always pissed me off about him is that he doesn't seem to understand how teams are built and his selfishness hamstrung the Knicks because they traded all their assets for him rather than him simply playing out the string and taking a little less money as a FA. Putting him on this team with Rivers as coach and Paul running things would be the best possible destination for him to max out his ability outside of Miami.
2 golds?? Omg chuck. The best players in the world were on those teams.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:47 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

I guess Christian Laettner should be upgraded becaue he won gold on the original Dream Team. Anthony is a great player. Never said he's wasn't. But a big part of his scoring so much is his number of shots. I believe there are plenty of guys that could score as much given the same free reign to shoot. I do like that he's upped his rebounding this year, because it shows growth. And I understand that he won a title in college so he can win. I'm not one of those that says he will never win in the NBA. But I don't think he brings the same uniqueness as a Griffin does to a team. He'll get you a few more points but at a big cost. He'll disrupt the offensive flow, he'll take shots away from guys, he won't play defense, and he'll need to be the star. He goes against all that Doc Rivers has been preaching to them. He is also like James and Bryant in the sense that he does his best work with the ball, dribbling and seeking areas to attack and that takes the ball out of your best player's hand too much. In addition to all that, Griffin is younger, harder to replace, is locked up under contract, and doesn't have the personality that clashes with Paul. Losing him for Anthony significantly weakens them.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 01-06-2014, 11:33 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
2 golds?? Omg chuck. The best players in the world were on those teams.
There are essentially 3 titles that basketball players in this country can win and he has won 2 of them.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
I guess Christian Laettner should be upgraded becaue he won gold on the original Dream Team. Anthony is a great player. Never said he's wasn't. But a big part of his scoring so much is his number of shots. I believe there are plenty of guys that could score as much given the same free reign to shoot. I do like that he's upped his rebounding this year, because it shows growth. And I understand that he won a title in college so he can win. I'm not one of those that says he will never win in the NBA. But I don't think he brings the same uniqueness as a Griffin does to a team. He'll get you a few more points but at a big cost. He'll disrupt the offensive flow, he'll take shots away from guys, he won't play defense, and he'll need to be the star. He goes against all that Doc Rivers has been preaching to them. He is also like James and Bryant in the sense that he does his best work with the ball, dribbling and seeking areas to attack ad that takes the ball out of your best player's hand too much. In addition to all that, Griffin is younger, harder to replace, is locked up under contract, and doesn't have the personality that clashes with Paul. Losing him for Anthony significantly weakens them.
Oh ok. I'm sure there are a ton of guys that could score like Carmelo Anthony. they all just choose not to...

You obviously rarely watch Anthony play because if you did you'd realize what you said was basically PG1985 First take talking points nonsense. He wont "disrupt" the offensive flow with Paul on the team. Why is this not apparent? He takes 4 shots a game more than Griffin but plays more minutes on a team with virtually no other good offensive options. Why act like he is going to come in and shoot the ball 30 times? It just isnt true. He does play defense but is exposed guarding 3's. He is a pretty good post defender. He already is a star but coming to LA he would surely see that Paul runs the show. He played very well at the Olympics coming off the bench. Anthony can be extremely effective in an offense with a strong PG and perimeter shooting which is something that he has never had the luxury of having.

Griffin is a really good player but outside of athleticism has no elite skill. His offense is still raw, he is a good rebounder but not great. His defense is ordinary at best. He is a weak FT shooter. He needs playmakes to play off of which the Knicks do not have. This essentially is a bad short term trade for NY but they need to blow the current team up and start over again and griffin would be a good piece. The Clippers are a lot more dangerous with Carmelo than Griffin in 2014.

I know who Chris Paul would rather have...
Old 01-06-2014, 03:35 PM
Churchill Downs

one interesting stat they gave out on the game they just lost the other night was that carmelo is 1 for his last 18 on possible game winning shots
Old 01-07-2014, 12:32 AM
Sha Tin

Bulls pull off great trade grabbing cap space, a number 1 pick and 2 second rounders for 1/2 season of Deng in a season where they clearly arent contenders.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:57 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Bulls pull off great trade grabbing cap space, a number 1 pick and 2 second rounders for 1/2 season of Deng in a season where they clearly arent contenders.
Giving up the picks was insane and it pretty much is now a done deal that Lebron wont even consider going back there.
They can contend to be the 3rd best team in the East, for whatever thats worth.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:05 AM
Flemington

Quote:
There are essentially 3 titles that basketball players in this country can win and he has won 2 of them.
I know youre only half serious. Any player would trade 4 NCAA Championships for 1 NBA title. Melo was barley the best player on that Cuse team.
Warrick was a beast and Mcnamera made a ton of big shots and was 100% the leader of the team.
Edelin was OK and so was my dude Craig Forth.
Warrick averaged 15 and 9 BTW.

Last edited by RockHardTen1985 : 01-07-2014 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:53 AM
Flemington

Chuck what I don't understand about you is how you can bash an all time great like Wade, but defend Melo.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:25 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
I know youre only half serious. Any player would trade 4 NCAA Championships for 1 NBA title. Melo was barley the best player on that Cuse team.
Warrick was a beast and Mcnamera made a ton of big shots and was 100% the leader of the team.
Edelin was OK and so was my dude Craig Forth.
Warrick averaged 15 and 9 BTW.
Do you drink?
Old 01-07-2014, 08:26 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Chuck what I don't understand about you is how you can bash an all time great like Wade, but defend Melo.
When did I bash Wade?
Old 01-07-2014, 08:49 AM
Randwyck

Do you think anything happens with Asik or do the Rockets just continue to overvalue him as far as trades go?
Old 01-07-2014, 09:40 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvalier View Post
Do you think anything happens with Asik or do the Rockets just continue to overvalue him as far as trades go?
I don't know. They handled the situation in a strange manner with the self imposed deadline. You'd figure only teams with a contending chance would be willing to take on that salary for next year and most of those are in the West. Does Houston want to help another contender in the West? He would be a great pickup for Portland but I dont how to make that deal work and would Houston be willing?
Old 01-07-2014, 10:09 AM
Hialeah Park

So Deng to Cavs for Bynum, picks and to move a guy they couldn't afford to pay anyways.

Thoughts?
Old 01-07-2014, 10:10 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
I don't know. They handled the situation in a strange manner with the self imposed deadline. You'd figure only teams with a contending chance would be willing to take on that salary for next year and most of those are in the West. Does Houston want to help another contender in the West? He would be a great pickup for Portland but I dont how to make that deal work and would Houston be willing?
It's hard to see Portland having anyone they'd be willing to trade that Houston would really be interested in...not with some of the trades they've turned down already for Asik.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:12 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob View Post
So Deng to Cavs for Bynum, picks and to move a guy they couldn't afford to pay anyways.

Thoughts?
How many picks do they have in the upcoming draft? It has to be a bunch at this point.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:18 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvalier View Post
How many picks do they have in the upcoming draft? It has to be a bunch at this point.
So they are waiving Bynum at 5PM today to clear his cap money too. lol..draft pick scenarios too confusing for me

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...ulls-luol-deng
Old 01-07-2014, 10:22 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob View Post
So they are waiving Bynum at 5PM today to clear his cap money too. lol..draft pick scenarios too confusing for me

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...ulls-luol-deng
Lol...we'll have to wait for Chuck, but I think they already have two first round picks this year along with a second and they got Portland's 2015-2016 2nd round picks they owed to the Cavs with this trade.