Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > "At the Races with Steve Byk"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Steve Byk

Default 2/13 ATR: Maury Wolff on the Rainbow 6 & more..

Wednesday ATR has legendary horseplayer Maury Wolff on the viability of the Rainbow 6 & current American wagering landscape...

ARCHIVE: http://www.thoroughbredracingradione...y=13&Itemid=35

Plus Pat Cummings, Satish Sanan, Johnny D, NTRA Safety & Integrity Alliance's Mike Ziegler.

9:30-10:15 Maury Wolff
10:15-10:40 Pat Cummings
10:40-11:00 Satish Sanan
11:00-11:30 Johnny D
11:30-11:55 Mike Ziegler

SiriusXM. Archive, etc., www.stevebyk.com. Capital Off-Track Betting TV..
Old 02-14-2013, 08:03 AM
The Curragh

Steve,

Hour 1 won't work for me, hit play and nothing happens. Hours 2 and 3 work fine.

Edit: now it works
Old 02-14-2013, 09:02 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Beach Luv View Post
Steve,

Hour 1 won't work for me, hit play and nothing happens. Hours 2 and 3 work fine.

Edit: now it works
South Beach. Try it now works for me.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Churchill Downs

can anyone please tell me if your horse is scratched in the rainbow 6 do they sub the post time fave? thanks
Old 02-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Turf Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTERGEE View Post
can anyone please tell me if your horse is scratched in the rainbow 6 do they sub the post time fave? thanks
4) (b) If the bettor does not exercise the cancellation option, the
actual favorite, as evidenced by the Win pool at the host track for the contest at the close of wagering, shall be substituted for the scratched betting interest for all purposes, including pool calculations. If the Win pool total for two or more favorites is identical, the substitute selection shall be the betting interest with the lowest post position. The totalisator generated price calculation report shall show each of the wagering combinations with the substituted betting interests which became winners as a result of the substitution.

That took about 5 seconds to find.....
Old 02-15-2013, 02:14 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Wednesday ATR has legendary horseplayer Maury Wolff on the viability of the Rainbow 6 & current American wagering landscape...

ARCHIVE: http://www.thoroughbredracingradione...y=13&Itemid=35

Plus Pat Cummings, Satish Sanan, Johnny D, NTRA Safety & Integrity Alliance's Mike Ziegler.

9:30-10:15 Maury Wolff
10:15-10:40 Pat Cummings
10:40-11:00 Satish Sanan
11:00-11:30 Johnny D
11:30-11:55 Mike Ziegler

SiriusXM. Archive, etc., www.stevebyk.com. Capital Off-Track Betting TV..

Nice job with Wolf.. In your professional opinion do you think this wager should be promoted by respected voices of the sport? I will say it has given ATR's a good topic for discussion the last few weeks. Do you want to see this at a SPA or Delmar meet?
Old 02-15-2013, 03:11 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
Nice job with Wolf.. In your professional opinion do you think this wager should be promoted by respected voices of the sport? I will say it has given ATR's a good topic for discussion the last few weeks. Do you want to see this at a SPA or Delmar meet?
It will never get implemented at the Spa or Delmar since the pick 6 pools at both are large enough that they would be cutting into their pick 6 pools by allowing this bet.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:27 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
Thanks Freddy.. Appreciate that. It means a lot to me to be able to get people like Wolff on whom the playing public should hear from.

I'm wavering constantly on whether this wager should be 'promoted' actively given its' obvious shortcomings, but it is clear from the pools and those playing and enjoying it, that there's an eager audience for it. As Maury said, it has the lotto attributes the game has wanted to create for years. And Andy has made the perfect point that it can be viewed as a low cost action bet even if it is outrageously 'expensive' and in practical terms, 'impossible'.

It seems that it has found a perfect storm at GP this winter and as I mentioned the other day, you would think that a finite meet like Saratoga, Keeneland & Del Mar would have room for a successful incantation of this.

I'm leaning towards thinking that the thing is a net positive for the learning curve benefits of the ticket-building at a low cost for new players. I think their experience -- the capping of the sequences and the ticket constructs -- will translate into other multi-race wagering ('Normal' P6, P5-P4-P3's, Supers, Hi-5's, etc.) long term.

It's a fascinating conversation.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
I'm leaning towards thinking that the thing is a net positive for the learning curve benefits of the ticket-building at a low cost for new players. I think their experience -- the capping of the sequences and the ticket constructs -- will translate into other multi-race wagering ('Normal' P6, P5-P4-P3's, Supers, Hi-5's, etc.) long term.
This is the key part IMO. The takeout issue is significant, but as I noted in the other thread, it still provides relatively good value once there's a big carryover, and your point about it teaching people the intricacies of ticket construction is a good one. Like I said before, it makes the $2 minimum Pick 6 look insane from a cost standpoint. At the very least, if they don't want to implement a gimmick wager like the Rainbow 6, the New York and California circuits should take a long look at lowering the minimums (to $1 or $.50, not $.10) on Pick 6 tickets to avoid shutting out the majority of players who can't afford to pour thousands a day into the pool.

Last edited by ateamstupid : 02-15-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:01 PM
Saratoga

It sucks until the pool is over a million and it is routinely paying a couple G's on a share. Let the suckers pump it up and then jump in when the pool is over a million.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
It sucks until the pool is over a million and it is routinely paying a couple G's on a share. Let the suckers pump it up and then jump in when the pool is over a million.
Could be seeded to give it the running start. Didn't GP throw in $100,000 after the surprise hit ahead of the forced closing weekend distribution?
Old 02-15-2013, 04:10 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Could be seeded to give it the running start. Didn't GP throw in $100,000 after the surprise hit ahead of the forced closing weekend distribution?
Then you got something. Mainstream media will be all over this if it carries until the final week. Of course they will say all you need is a thin Dime.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:47 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Thanks Freddy.. Appreciate that. It means a lot to me to be able to get people like Wolff on whom the playing public should hear from.

I'm wavering constantly on whether this wager should be 'promoted' actively given its' obvious shortcomings, but it is clear from the pools and those playing and enjoying it, that there's an eager audience for it. As Maury said, it has the lotto attributes the game has wanted to create for years. And Andy has made the perfect point that it can be viewed as a low cost action bet even if it is outrageously 'expensive' and in practical terms, 'impossible'.

It seems that it has found a perfect storm at GP this winter and as I mentioned the other day, you would think that a finite meet like Saratoga, Keeneland & Del Mar would have room for a successful incantation of this.

It's a fascinating conversation.
Common sense tells you it is a horrible wager unless there is a forced pay out. Common sense tells you that GP holding 3 mil stagnant vs. players churning 3 million tells you its not churn friendly. All that said it looks like it's here to stay in some capacity. I am dubious on how many folks will learn how to structure traditional Pik 3,4,5 and 6 tickets and become mainstream players, especially considering the current pay outs at GP. All the negatives given it seems like a bad thing has caught on and as such is now a good thing. Closing day is go to be (going to borrow a Bykism) "interesting".