Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-27-2006, 10:26 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Brooklynite
I've never tried to tell anyone what they should or should not regard as a tragedy.

I'm only advising them that if they think that someone else's race horse snapping a leg is one of life's tragedies ... then they're in for quite a few much bigger shocks down the road.
I'm 26, but I've still witnessed death and sickness. Cancer and heart disease has wreaked havoc on my family and a close friend has terminal cancer. I've put 3 dogs to sleep due to pain and suffering... all life tragedies. And I viewed what happened to Michael Matz, Edgar Prado etc, as a life tragedy. You know Bold... sometimes, the way that you word things can be very hurtful to others that may see things differently than you do. I apologize for making an assumption about your life. You're correct... that was wrong of me.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:34 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
I'm 26, but I've still witnessed death and sickness. Cancer and heart disease has wreaked havoc on my family and a close friend has terminal cancer. I've put 3 dogs to sleep due to pain and suffering... all life tragedies. And I viewed what happened to Michael Matz, Edgar Prado etc, as a life tragedy. You know Bold... sometimes, the way that you word things can be very hurtful to others that may see things differently than you do. I apologize for making an assumption about your life. You're correct... that was wrong of me.
The things you describe about your personal experiences are simply awful ... it's a wonder you've been able to keep your sanity ... although being a member of this forum sheds some doubt on that.

But how in the world could you ... with everything else that's happened in your life ... consider a rich guy's race horse snapping a leg to be one of the tragedies in your life?

I'm not saying that you don't ... it's just that I don't see it remotely comparing with everything else you've experienced.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:40 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
The things you describe about your personal experiences are simply awful ... it's a wonder you've been able to keep your sanity ... although being a member of this forum sheds some doubt on that.

But how in the world could you ... with everything else that's happened in your life ... consider a rich guy's race horse snapping a leg to be one of the tragedies in your life?

I'm not saying that you don't ... it's just that I don't see it remotely comparing with everything else you've experienced.
That's the thing though... while it may not be a life tragedy to ME, I do consider it a life tragedy for his connections. I said it was one of life's tragedies... not one of my own, but I still hold compassion for those that it affected. I'm not making much sense tonight. I think it's time for me to throw in the towel and hit the hay.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:41 PM
PostCritic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
I just can't see how barabro would be the 3-y0 champ over Beranrdini...i just can't...it would be a political and emotion-influenced travesty IMO...

But then again, I've seen a few bad Eclipse votings...i musdt admit that the voters (and i know MANY of them) in this industry..alot of them are not half-qualified to vote.....too many people with little knowledge of this industry have votes and it is not right...i'll leave it at that...

just like when Declan's moon beat out Afleet Alex as Champ 2-yo a few years ago when never leaving Cali. or running in the BC while Alex carrered his game to all the big dances and won multiple important stakes and never dodged anyone while runnig well everytime with some bad luck when he lost.....stupdi West coast propaganda gave it to Declan's moon - who is now showing that he is a real rat while Afleet Alex was a true champion race horse....
Hello. This is my first post...so excuse me if this has already been said. Has anyone looked at the earnings as a measure of best 3 YO? There must not be a lot of gamblers on here.

Barbaro $2,203,200
Bernardini $1,610,480
Old 08-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
1. Yes you did criticize people, you said and I am paraphrasing, that since no one except for the Jackson's owned Barbaro that being upset was inconsequential. And we should not let "inconsequential" things like a horse breaking down make us upset. Read your post gramps.

2. Don't try to determine what is or isn't a tragedy. In your old age you should realize that what may be trivial to you is serious to another, so to judge is ignorant. How can you judge what is important to people?

3. All of what you have described are tragedies, and I'm sure people are upset about them all. My point is that what may seem inconsequential to you, ie Barbaro, may be very important to someone else. This is a horse racing site, so people are going to be passionate about horses. Some have a vested interest, some have a financial, and some have an emotional. It's ignorant to try and deem one's emotional reaction to somebody or something being hurt. It's called compassion, try having some. And don't forget to take your dentures out before you go to bed.
1. You're correct in paraphrasing what I said ... but you're wrong in categorizing it as a criticism ... because it's an instruction ... an advisory ... not a criticism.

2. As I said in another post ... I've never told anyone what is a tragedy and what isn't ... just trying to get them to use their judgment to put things in proper perspective.

3. Again you're correct ... some people do see Barbaro's leg injury as a personal tragedy in their lives ... I'm just trying to prepare them for lots of bigger shocks ... which they'll almost inevitably experience. And ... despite my superannuation ... I still have all my teeth ... except for a small bridge which I've had since I lost a tooth in an accident as a teenager. Now THAT was a tragedy.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:50 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
That's the thing though... while it may not be a life tragedy to ME, I do consider it a life tragedy for his connections. I said it was one of life's tragedies... not one of my own, but I still hold compassion for those that it affected. I'm not making much sense tonight. I think it's time for me to throw in the towel and hit the hay.
Now you're saying something completely different.

We've been talking all along about people who consider Barbaro's injury to be a personal tragedy in their lives ... not the Jacksons' lives.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Jacksons though ... I think they'll be OK.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:06 PM
PostCritic

Quote:
Now you're saying something completely different.

We've been talking all along about people who consider Barbaro's injury to be a personal tragedy in their lives ... not the Jacksons' lives.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Jacksons though ... I think they'll be OK.
Funny thread. I agree with most of the things you wrote but I think you should reacquaint yourself with the definition of empathy. FYI.

em·pa·thy (mp-th) Pronunciation Key n.
1. Identification with and understanding of another's situation, feelings, and motives. See Synonyms at pity.
2. The attribution of one's own feelings to an object.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:08 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostCritic
Hello. This is my first post...so excuse me if this has already been said. Has anyone looked at the earnings as a measure of best 3 YO? There must not be a lot of gamblers on here.

Barbaro $2,203,200
Bernardini $1,610,480
good point. welcome aboard mate.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:10 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Funny thread. I agree with most of the things you wrote but I think you should reacquaint yourself with the definition of empathy. FYI.

em·pa·thy (mp-th) Pronunciation Key n.
1. Identification with and understanding of another's situation, feelings, and motives. See Synonyms at pity.
2. The attribution of one's own feelings to an object.
Hey ... of course I knew that ...

... it's what happens when I drive too far without pulling into a gas station ...

... the tank gets empathy.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:26 PM
PostCritic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Someone's trying to force funny
I can almost tell who the men and women are based on this thread alone. I think that's pretty funny.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:52 AM
Danzig2

Quote:

Barbaro $2,203,200
Bernardini $1,610,480
hello to you!

yeah, i went to ntra myself yesterday and took note of $ won....

to THIS point, bernardini hasn't done anything more than what barbaro has done...it's just later in the year. also, take note that barbaro beat four times as many horses @ the 10f distance--FOUR months ago!

at this point, it's a toss-up.

bernardini must win over older, it would be the only thing that would separate him from barbaro.

also, everyone keep in mind that altho bernardinis margin was the largest since general assembly in '79, barbaro's margin of victory was the largest in 60 years.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:41 AM
BellamyRd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig2
hello to you!

to THIS point, bernardini hasn't done anything more than what barbaro has done...it's just later in the year. also, take note that barbaro beat four times as many horses @ the 10f distance--FOUR months ago!

bernardini must win over older, it would be the only thing that would separate him from barbaro.

also, everyone keep in mind that altho bernardinis margin was the largest since general assembly in '79, barbaro's margin of victory was the largest in 60 years.

That's a great post, and point Danzig. If I may add, it was never my intention to say Barbaro should get the award out of any kind of sympathy vote. I'm sorry someone tried to corrupt that. But it was my intent to illustrate Barbaro STILL has done more "on track" than Bernardini to this point and it's just wrong-my opinion, I suppose-to think Bernardini deserves the award if voted on now. I don't think anyone one is disputing if Bernardini beats older horses he wouldn't get the award. In fact, if he does and they gave him HOY and Barbaro 3-y/o champ that would almost seem to be correct in many ways.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:48 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellamyRd.
That's a great post, and point Danzig. If I may add, it was never my intention to say Barbaro should get the award out of any kind of sympathy vote. I'm sorry someone tried to corrupt that. But it was my intent to illustrate Barbaro STILL has done more "on track" than Bernardini to this point and it's just wrong-my opinion, I suppose-to think Bernardini deserves the award if voted on now. I don't think anyone one is disputing if Bernardini beats older horses he wouldn't get the award. In fact, if he does and they gave him HOY and Barbaro 3-y/o champ that would almost seem to be correct in many ways.
How in the world is anyone supposed to form an intelligent opinion on this topic until the season is over?
Old 08-28-2006, 07:54 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
How in the world is anyone supposed to form an intelligent opinion on this topic until the season is over?

It's like the old Johnny Carson skit ..."Karnac" maybe it was...some people know the answers before the question is even asked.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:51 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
hello to you!

$$$ won shouldn't have the impact it once did with the inflated purses abound. Otherwise, you could just insert the Dubai and Breeders Cup winners as HOY.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
To the announcers on ESPN it seemed to be a forgone conculsiuon after the Travers that Bernardini had exhalted himself to 3-year old champion. It really made sick in the pit of my stomach, especially how Bailey explained it (with his beaten lengths theory). Bernardini beat 5 horses in late summer, 4 very average horses, and 1 good one. Well Barbaro destroyed 19 other horses in late SPRING...19 pretty damn good horses...the horse won the KY derby, FL derby, a stakes races on turf, and now because Bernardini is beating on shat later in the year he's a more deserving champion? At the end of the year the good competition separates to various stake races across the country (case in point, Lawyer Ron inthe St. Louis Derby). They are not all in KY. The Preakness & the Travers combined wasn't as impressive as KY was this year. Unless he wins the Breeder's Cup Classic, I'm not sold this horse could have beaten Barbaro, any place, any surface, any distance, any where.
LOL @ saying that Barbaro beat "19 pretty damn good horses". Please stop it. Just because it was the Derby doesn't mean all of the horses were pretty damn good. Or even good for that matter. In fact, if u take all 19, there might have been four average to good ones in the entire group. There aren't even 19 good horses in the entire crop.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 08-28-2006, 12:09 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
This is CLASSIC. U honestly think it would make sense for a horse to be the HOY but not even the champion of his own division? What's next? Maybe we should take the next guy that loses a race for city mayor and install him as the president of the United States. Come on now. If u are the best horse in the country, by default u have to be the best in your division.

What I don't get is why Bernardini HAS to not only face but also BEAT older horses in order to be deserving.......but Barbaro didn't even have to face older. Doesn't make sense to me.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 08-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
This is CLASSIC. U honestly think it would make sense for a horse to be the HOY but not even the champion of his own division? What's next? Maybe we should take the next guy that loses a race for city mayor and install him as the president of the United States. Come on now. If u are the best horse in the country, by default u have to be the best in your division.

What I don't get is why Bernardini HAS to not only face but also BEAT older horses in order to be deserving.......but Barbaro didn't even have to face older. Doesn't make sense to me.
If Bernardini is going to be HOY, he better damn well beat older horses. I would expect the same for Barbaro, although IMO, Barbaro was the better horse of the two. Barbaro didn't have the chance to face older, but IMO Bernardini is the 2nd best out of this year's crop of 3 year olds. And if he is so spectacular, why did he skip the Belmont?
Old 08-28-2006, 12:55 PM
Danzig2

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious

no....bernardini is the only one who can set himself apart, and above by beating older...obviously barbaro can't do that....bernardini beating the same colts that barbaro beat does not prove he's the better horse. doing so would only show that he is equal to him...

barbaro did his racing in the first half. bernardini in the last--so later is 'better'???? why should the latter half carry more weight than the former?
Old 08-28-2006, 12:59 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
no....bernardini is the only one who can set himself apart, and above by beating older...obviously barbaro can't do that....bernardini beating the same colts that barbaro beat does not prove he's the better horse. doing so would only show that he is equal to him...

barbaro did his racing in the first half. bernardini in the last--so later is 'better'???? why should the latter half carry more weight than the former?

9 times out of 10 the "latter" is going to get the award. Not right, but that is how it is.