Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-12-2007, 03:49 AM
Saratoga

Default .10 Cent Supers- Breeders Cup

I'm concerned that the .10 cent Super will depress payouts for the 1.00 players. Has anybody seen this in tracks that have .10 Supers ??? The Giant Supers in the BC have always been very enticing.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:25 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62
I'm concerned that the .10 cent Super will depress payouts for the 1.00 players. Has anybody seen this in tracks that have .10 Supers ??? The Giant Supers in the BC have always been very enticing.
If the top 4 choices run worse than 4th in a 14 horse field it's possible a 100k super could be reduced 10-15%.I've noticed the smaller tracks with less handle the supers have been stolen with a dime. It's impossible to say for sure unless one has access to the tote system as to where and which wagers were winners. For every dime that wins on a $50 wager that covers 500 combinations there's thousands like it that lose. You still have to pick the winning combo.

I'd be more concerned about the super paying $5,999 and having a full $1 on it instead of ten dimes.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:21 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62
Agree with PCL that there's insufficient data to know for sure, but I suspect that many use the 10 cent super as a type of lottery. I know that the tote machines at DEL have this option -- where they spit out a random selection. If so, then this just adds to the pari-mutuel, and you might have an edge with a modicum of handicapping ability.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:04 AM
dillon

I think many players like playing the dime multiple times to avoid a signer. That's what I do.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon
I think many players like playing the dime multiple times to avoid a signer. That's what I do.
most of us have no trouble avoiding that anyway.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:09 AM
dillon

Well, it did work ONCE for me!
Old 10-12-2007, 09:12 AM
Churchill Downs

I think dime supers may add to the pool and increase the amount of dead combinations. If you are trying to make that decision on whether to include that one last horse, it sure makes it easier to throw it in at the $.10 rate. Also, as mentioned, a lot of players will get involved in the pools that would never play a $1 or $2 super. I know my group dabbles in the $.10 supers at the dog track, which I would never touch if we had to front any significant amount of money.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:50 PM
Fairgrounds

I know that the BC having them would make me play them. $1 can get expensive, especially if you're having a bad day handicapping, but I'll take a shot at a 10 cent box or part wheel on them.
wish they had them at Belmont 2 yrs ago. having bad day, but nailed handicapping the turf with the four euros (but bankroll didn't allow me to play it due to losing in almost all of the prior races). For $2.40, I'd have boxed them in a heartbeat.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Oaklawn

Like everyone else, there is just not enough data to say the the 10 cent wager dilutes the pool or winning tickets.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey17
Like everyone else, there is just not enough data to say the the 10 cent wager dilutes the pool or winning tickets.
But it will certainly make anyone betting at Monmouth that day eleventy billion times more miserable.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwspencer
But it will certainly make anyone betting at Monmouth that day eleventy billion times more miserable.
That is so true.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:37 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwspencer
I'm sure there will be plenty of tellers and windows open for an event of such magnitude.

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 10-13-2007, 06:28 AM
Les Bois

Whenever I read threads about $.10 vs. dollar supers, I never read about anyone who bets in other units.

I play .50 supers because I can pay $24 for a $48 dollar super. I'd rather collect half the dollar payoff than a 10% payoff.

When I play exotics like pick 3's, 4's, tris and supers I want a payoff that will change my life, or at least boost the bankroll.

If a super pays $2k for a buck, I want $1k, not $200. I can get $200 with my win bets.

And yes I know that the $200 stated above would only cost $4.80.

Just my 2, er 50 cents.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:08 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Gulch
I think dime supers may add to the pool and increase the amount of dead combinations. If you are trying to make that decision on whether to include that one last horse, it sure makes it easier to throw it in at the $.10 rate. Also, as mentioned, a lot of players will get involved in the pools that would never play a $1 or $2 super. I know my group dabbles in the $.10 supers at the dog track, which I would never touch if we had to front any significant amount of money.
when offered, i'll play $.10 supers on every race i play. other wise i don't fool with the super. sometimes it's the only play i'll make on a race.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Churchill Downs

JohnGalt hit it right. .50 supers are a logically way to increase bankroll. If you're keying a horse on top, now you can key two instead. .10 players are lottery playing, may as well NOT handicap the race, just toss in a logical 2nd 3rd or 4th choice with a few bombs, hope the favorite runs off and ouila, you may get $120 back on a $2400 super. Seems more logical to handicap and find a 5-1 that might be an overlay and drop $20 smack on his nose.

Just a thought.

And oh........Put Mushka in your horse watch list. An Empire Maker 2-year old turfer, that has 1 start, ran a verrry good 3rd at 7-2.
First that day was Backseat Rythym, who came back to run a clear 2nd last weekend against a possible monster in Indian Blessing. Second that day was Country Star, who romped in that Grade 1 last Friday at Keeneland.

Suffice to say, Mushka was in deep that day and didn't even know it. Also of small not is that Country Star is out of Empire Maker as well.

Hopefully Mushka will run against somebody "live" horse so we don't get stuck with an 8/5 runner.

Good luck.

Later.