Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-19-2006, 06:56 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Default possible ev-1 break out..palm meadows

just in time for gulf stream...sh it!! link it please,,bloodhorse..
Old 12-19-2006, 06:59 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
just in time for gulf stream...sh it!! link it please,,bloodhorse..
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/tod...68300&subsec=1

Hooves,
I'm not reading it the same way you are. Unless you heard something thats not out there in cyberland yet.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:04 AM

of the 15 horses shipped in many are missing....the blood horse said..

Last edited by hoovesupsideyourhead : 12-19-2006 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:21 AM
Santa Anita

Default I really hope they contain this stupid virus.

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=36779

I have heard rumors that some of the horses may have been at Palm Meadows at one point. I may be wrong so don't hold me to it. I just read it on a website.

This is very scary. Rumor that some horses in the area that I ride in have been showing signs. Not at my barn or near them, but in Jupiter Farms.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:35 AM
top predator.

things like this are what make the idea of mandatory identification in a national database a very good idea.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:51 AM
point given

Default Forum on Health Maintenance Practices and Infection Control in Horses

Calder is having a forum this Wednesday @ 10 AM for all in the Winnersedge room. Dr. Rocky Bigbie will be speaking on the subject.

http://www.calderracecourse.com/news..._12172006.html

For more articles on the subject of the virus in the south florida area, the Sun Sentinel has been following this for the past few days. The Wellington equestrian horse shows seem to be the ones more involved in this, with 19 horses reportedly sick. " Six of the horses have shown neurological symptoms.... 3 died, but only one was confirmed to have the equine herpes virus...test results on the others are due back soon. "

There is a Wellington hotline; 561-791-4003, then 7.

State Dept. of Agriclture website for updates is;

www.doacs.state.fl.us
Old 12-19-2006, 11:56 AM
top predator.

not sure if this has been posted previously, in May the Horse magazine (Bloodhorse counterpart) put out a special section about the diease. It's really a big Phizer advertisement but contains good information for anyone who doesn't know what Equine herpersvirus is or does...

http://www.thehorse.com/pdf/ehv/specialreport.pdf

I also saw a report from Cornell last year that said one of their researchers had discovered that horses vaccinated with a modified live virus (MLV) fared much better when exposed than horses vaccinated with the standard killed virus...thus far I believe this is only in the research stages, I think that most horses right now are given a killed version of the vaccine.

Last edited by paisjpq : 12-19-2006 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:09 PM
point given

Default Vans ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/tod...68300&subsec=1

Hooves,
I'm not reading it the same way you are. Unless you heard something thats not out there in cyberland yet.
So far its only the equestrian area farms , but , what I wonder is , they ship horses in the same vans , don't they ? While there are careful quarantine procedures for the stable areas, what about the vans that transport, tbreds as well as the show horses ?
Old 12-19-2006, 12:29 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by point given
So far its only the equestrian area farms , but , what I wonder is , they ship horses in the same vans , don't they ? While there are careful quarantine procedures for the stable areas, what about the vans that transport, tbreds as well as the show horses ?
That is what worries me. Said the gelding that shipped from Europe to NY to KY to Cali was traveling to KY with a mare (who is fine as of now and showing no symptoms), then he gelding went to Cali with two other horses who they said were believed to be thoroughbred yearlings. The gelding is the first horse who died.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:32 PM
Santa Anita

Here is the article I read.
http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=8456

Last edited by paisjpq : 12-19-2006 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:39 PM
top predator.

just links please buffy.

Like I said earlier in the thread....it brings to the surface the need for a national ID system...the fact that 9 horses are unaccounted for should be seen as a very big problem IMO...now, one can assume that they are healthy (since they have not surfaced as sick) but they could also be carriers, horses that have been exposed to and shed virus without actually becoming symptomatic...
Old 12-19-2006, 12:42 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
just links please buffy.

Like I said earlier in the thread....it brings to the surface the need for a national ID system...the fact that 9 horses are unaccounted for should be seen as a very big problem IMO...now, one can assume that they are healthy (since they have not surfaced as sick) but they could also be carriers, horses that have been exposed to and shed virus without actually becoming symptomatic...

Sorry. I couldn't get the link to the article from where I read it at. I tried. I really did. I pulled it from another website.

It really is a scary situation.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:44 PM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffymommy
Sorry. I couldn't get the link to the article from where I read it at. I tried. I really did. I pulled it from another website.

It really is a scary situation.
no problem...
Old 12-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Arlington Park

Default I'm no expert, but this don't sound great....

from the FTBOA website:

Precautionary Equine Health Measures Taken in Calder Stable Area

Calder Race Course track veterinarian Dr. Mary Scollay announced December 19 precautionary measures to be taken regarding the Equine Herpesvirus (EVH-1), a contagious disease spread among horses with flu like symptoms, including fever or respiratory infection.

“As of December 19, two barns at Calder Race Course have been placed under restrictions in response to presumed Equine Herpesvirus Type 1 (EVH-1) exposure,” said Dr. Scollay. “Currently, there are no cases of EHV-1 at Calder Race Course. However, a horse that had been hospitalized in Wellington (Fla.) and returned to Calder for five days then shipped to Ocala has been confirmed to be infected with EHV-1. As a precaution, the following control measures are being implemented:”

1. No new horses will be admitted for stabling in the main barn area at Calder Race Course for a period of seven (7) days. Individuals intending to ship horses for arrival after Dec. 25, 2006 should contact the Calder Stall Office at (305) 625-1311, ext. 3942 before finalizing arrangements.

2. “Race and go” horses will be housed in two (2) dedicated receiving barns. One barn will hold horses originating from Gulfstream, Payson Park, Palm Meadows and Palm Beach Downs. The other barn will house horses originating from Ocala and private farms.

Pre-existing entry health requirements remain in effect. Horses originating from facilities other than those having similar requirements (Gulfstream Park and Palm Meadows) must arrive with: Proof of vaccination for EHV-1 (no less than 14 days, no greater than 90 days), Certificate of Veterinary Inspection with EHV-1 specific affidavit and proof of negative Coggins Test.

3. All horses housed at Calder Race Course are to have rectal temperatures taken twice daily with any temperatures of 102 or higher reported to the Track Veterinarian. Any horse with fever will be removed to an isolation barn pending the results of testing.

Horses housed in the restricted barns will be allowed access to the training track after the conclusion of regularly scheduled training hours.

On October 23, Calder instituted a policy to curb infectious diseases among racehorses, requiring all horses seeking entrance into the the stable area and racetrack to be accompanied by and listed on a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) which had been signed and dated within seventy two (72) hours of arrival by a licensed veterinarian. Each horse listed on the CVI could not have originated from, nor been stabled on, a premises which has had herpes virus (EHV-1) diagnosed during the previous thirty (30) day period.

Calder, in conjunction with Fort Dodge Animal Health, is scheduled to host a one-hour forum on health maintenance practices and infection control in horses on Wednesday, Dec. 20 in the track’s Winner’s Edge room (second floor grandstand) from 10:00 – 11:00 a.m.. All horsemen are invited and the forum is open to the public as well.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:36 PM
top predator.

seems the 9 missing horses have been located...and they are everywhere.

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=8463
Old 12-24-2006, 09:21 AM

well it hit palm meadows.....per drf..today
Old 12-24-2006, 09:24 AM
oracle80

Quote:
well it hit palm meadows.....per drf..today
No Hooves it hit Payson Park, not Palm.
A horse of John Hennig's died.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:16 AM

Quote:
No Hooves it hit Payson Park, not Palm.
A horse of John Hennig's died.
oops...a little slow today...
Old 12-24-2006, 11:18 AM
oracle80

Quote:
oops...a little slow today...
Its ok Hooves, unfortunately this thread and your comment WILL be right any day now I believe. Once it breaks containment like that, its hard to handle. The fact that its at payson is not good, horses come and go and leave there all the time.
We have to hold our breath and hope that it doesnt make it to Palm or Gulf, but it don't look too good to me.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:46 AM
point given

Quote:
Its ok Hooves, unfortunately this thread and your comment WILL be right any day now I believe. Once it breaks containment like that, its hard to handle. The fact that its at payson is not good, horses come and go and leave there all the time.
We have to hold our breath and hope that it doesnt make it to Palm or Gulf, but it don't look too good to me.
TG Palm Meadows was built, as Payson was alot more popular before. I don't Know the numbers, but with PM , Calder, and Gulfstream, disease free so far, there should be stalls for shippers coming down. Just hope they can contain it asap .