Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-12-2006, 09:39 PM
taoaracing

Ha : Mr. Black Might very well be an important person in the business but on this board he is just another unidentified poster, Just like myself . As far as attacking JJ,s training . It was In My OPINION that he was a subpar trainer. Thats not attacking thats an opinion . Hooves defend whom or what you like thats what message boards are for to have discussions good or bad or agree or disagree .

I have said 3 times now that the man probably does good things for racing and the show . Or is that invisible in my posts? Anyway's once again it has to be brought up about harness and announcing . Thats great im glad thats what is being focused on.

I like the comments tho and enjoy this thread now more than ever . Oh and for those whom want to know. I am hoping that Barbaro is doing good and by the posts from Tim Wolley it sounds as tho he is fighting on.

Last edited by taoaracing : 07-12-2006 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Steve Byk

I'm leaving for Florida in 9 hours and have to write up the BEL P6 yet and just looked at this thread... I almost don't know where to start..

I'll say to Tao though, unless you've won several thousand races as a trainer, you have not an iota of authority to impinge on where anyone's training career was or is... That comment is such an incredible insult to thousands of hard working people in the sport as to be beyond belief. In other words, according to you, Dale Baird and King Leatherbury are losers too. Well done.. You're "in the game" on the sulky side, so I guess by your above-stated insight that every driver and trainer at Pompano and Maywood and such are all nothings as well.. I guess if you don't win the Little Brown Jug or race at the Meadowlands your life's work is worthless?

I was sick this afternoon and only spent the last 30 min. on the show and have yet to hear the earlier segments and don't have time to do so now... JJ may very well have been adding his opinion to the WIDESPREAD SPECULATION in the racing media that was going on earlier today that Barbaro may have been put down... I can't comment on anything he said until I hear it and know the context.

In the meantime, what I will say is that JJ Graci and Anita St. Clair have spent hundreds of thousands of their own dollars to create a radio show that now reaches all of N. America on Sirius and the world on the Internet. They worked for years and years BUYING airtime in Philly and Florida to keep the show going until John Perrotta helped them get on Sirius with the support of Mike Francesa and Bill Parcells.

The show is a forum for the industry as no where else is 3 hours of horse racing being offered five days a week. The show has done a lot of good for helping new fans learn more about the game, and brings the sport's top personalities into your car, home or office like nothing else available anywhere, including the racing networks. We bring more trainers and industry personalities to the air than ANYONE and have been vocal supporters of the slaughter ban, after career placement of runners, backstretch employee assistance and every other conceivable cause associated with racing.

Say what you want about JJ's style and personna, but NO ONE can question his dedication or commitment to horse racing and its' success after the 40+ years he's given to the sport.

Last edited by Kasept : 07-12-2006 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:43 PM
boldruler

JJ has the right to speculate. It is pretty classless, but he has that right. It doesn't mean he lacks class, but just did in this instance. I hope you guys have the crow ready for him tomorrow. I will be sure to be listening.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:51 PM
taoaracing

Kasept : I will make this reply now so you see it before you leave . My Opinon of JJ is that he was a subpar trainer. I did not attack the man personally say anything about his personal life or his family . I stated imo and thats for me to say . Lets face what he said which was classless. While I respect what you do and are doing for all of racing , I will not condone or play nice with an opinion I have of someone and thats my right to say . I do not curse , I do not say anything that is not formed in the opinion catagory. Im sure you have opinions and maybe you state them to friends or colleague's I dont know because I do not know you personally . Im sure JJ could make a post on this thread and explain what it is he was trying to get across to a National audience? That would take what maybe 2 minutes of his time? If not and they have or do put the horse down then what will he come on tommorw and say I TOLD YOU SO? Either way defend his life's work I certainly do not argue he was good for the sport or the show . What I did say is personally I do not listen to him .
Old 07-12-2006, 10:00 PM
Hialeah Park

I'll just put out good wishes for Barbaro...cause that's what I thought this thread was about.
No comment on the Tao controversy, other than it takes the focus away from what the intent of this thread seemed.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:06 PM
taoaracing

Ok : TAO DISCLAIMER FROM LAST NIGHTS POST'S

No I am not the saratoga harness announcer . As far as durkin goes I guess I got off to the wrong step on this board . I just hated that call and I had to say something about it on this board . Why this board well because this is the best and most passionate and informative racing board on the web . I know this because I belong to them all. The only reason I do not say what track I announce at is because I can get very argumentative and brash at times about certain opinion's I have (durkin example) and I would not want it to come back and bite me some day . I respect everybody's opinion on this board and hope that I can make good contribution's to the group.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoaracing
Oh and as far as listening to JJ , I dont have to listen to him, I listened to him 20 years ago , Im sure he sounds the same and brings the same boring commentary to whatever show he is on. He brings nothing original to the table thats for sure. Just keep on attacking me tho its fun. Again see Ive formed Opinions I state why I dont like it or something, Then I comment on it . That is conversation pro and con not all happy happy joy joy. Im sure Mr Graci (jj) does fine things for racing and the show . Just not in MY OPINION is it worth 2-4 hours of my time to it. or 1 minute of a 4 hour show to find what exactly he said . It was stated what he said in this thread and thats what I commented on.
Tao-How can you comment on something that you never listened to? We all know how quotes can be taken out of the framework of a conversation and be taken out of context. That is why you have to listen to the whole conversation before rendering an opinion. Let me ask you. Are you the same track announcer that you were 15-20 years ago? I'm sure you learned a few things along the way. If you were to be critiqued,wouldn't you want to be judged on your present body of work? It's kind of ridiculus to rip JJ from something he did 15-20 years ago. Why not listen to the current show and then formulate an opinion. We are no longer in the 80's. You'll sound more credible if you do that. It's easy to fire away on a message board claiming to be someone influencial in the industry but not reveal who you are. You'll probably say somebody close to you told you that he's still the same guy but that's just secondhand knowledge which doesn't pass the smell test. I'm not trying to attack you, I'm just pointing out that I'd rather listen to an opinion somebody had based on 2006 rather than the late 80's.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
First Off , Black , Why do you alway's feel compelled to bring the fact that I am an announcer into every thread I post on
That's an easy one. Let's take a look at your very first post on derbytrail.
You said;

"Why Durkin will always be a ***
Durkins call of the suburban was like listening to somebody scratch there nails on a chalkboard.

Did he bet invasor? Is he screwing F. Jara? Sick call

Invasor gallops to the lead.....Jara Looks around for competition......Invasor rolling through the stretch .....Invasor in complete control midstretch.....Invasor much the best here invasor invasor invasor ...

I am a Track announcer I do it for a living as well if I ever give 1 horse 10 calls in the stretch I hope a sniper shoots me from the crow's nest.

Please Tom Step down , Go write a book . Become a retired announcer soon .

Thanks for the eary race call that will be etched in my mind forever.

Oust Durkin"

You state right out of the box that you're an announcer. Then you repeat that claim on almost all of your posts. Now you wonder why someone else makes reference to it.

You call out people by name as being classless but you yourself make what I would call a classless post above, and then say that you must remain anonymous so that it doesn't come back to bite you.

Looks hypocritical to me.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Default barbaro

have kept you in my prayers since day one. and am tonight more then ever that tomorrows news is not tragic.people this board is for debate and info and all but all these attacks at each other will be a mute point if something has or will happen to barb. we will all feel empty inside if something happens. we all care for him in the end no matter who said what and in what forum they say it in. its all a big loss for us. lets talk about him being the true champ he is and one of the greatest derby winners ever. if you ever want to talk about a race horse having heart and the will to win(survive) this guy has already proven to me he isjust as good as a tc champ by his actions in his fight for survival
Old 07-12-2006, 10:55 PM
Saratoga

Default my two cents

I think we are in for some bad news tomorrow. You could easily announce what needs to be said in a press memo if it wasn't bad. You don't go through the trouble and cancel a trip to South Africa to hold a 10 minute conference about what you did last week. I hope I am wrong
Old 07-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Washington Park

Why the hell is Tao bringing up JJ Graci as a trainer? This thread is about Barbaro, correct? I see zero reason why JJ's training record - good, bad, or average - should be brought up out of the blue.

I cant believe what a bunch of nerds we are. We're looking up money laundering in the dictionary.

www.myspace.com/dustinfabian
Old 07-12-2006, 10:59 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

i agree 1rst sat , god bless you barb
Old 07-12-2006, 11:19 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
First Off , Black , Why do you alway's feel compelled to bring the fact that I am an announcer into every thread I post on , Seems to me thats envy. I do not have to explain my position . I made a comment about 1 call Durkin made and now he is the most respected announcer in america (please form an intelligent opinion and then comment) . I dont know what your deal is but , I made an opinion about JJ Graci , he certainly can come on this board and explain what he said and why he said it right since his main man runs this board.

All's I know is I made comments on this thread and you instead of dealing with the topic decide to attack my credibility once again . If you bothered to read any posts Ive made in the last 2 days you would see what I mean. But keep on attacking my occupation and trying to rack your brain as to whom I am . Either way You can only attack people you have no idea how to form an opinion (typical message board dribble is all you can contribute)
I love how everybody is so secretive in here.....What is this?..The Presidency? If you state something then eb a man and stand behind it or don't state it at all...

..I'll probably get a big backlash for this, but I cannot understand the secrecy here...all it does is give the right for soembody to bash someone else without consiquence...if you are just chatting normally, then who cares if you are revealed?
Old 07-13-2006, 03:17 AM
Turf Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrift1
have kept you in my prayers since day one. and am tonight more then ever that tomorrows news is not tragic.people this board is for debate and info and all but all these attacks at each other will be a mute point if something has or will happen to barb. we will all feel empty inside if something happens. we all care for him in the end no matter who said what and in what forum they say it in. its all a big loss for us. lets talk about him being the true champ he is and one of the greatest derby winners ever. if you ever want to talk about a race horse having heart and the will to win(survive) this guy has already proven to me he isjust as good as a tc champ by his actions in his fight for survival
Sending love to Barbaro from over the pond...
Old 07-13-2006, 06:13 AM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Very well said pdrift, my thoughts exactly.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:31 AM
top predator.

Quote:
AMEN. well said.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:02 AM
Morris Park

From tim woollery site:

Update 216: Spoke to Michael Matz this morning (thursday). It appears Bobby is still doing OK given all we know. I asked Michael a little more about the press conference this morning. He won't be able to attend, but is aware that Dr. Dean Richardson will be very forthcoming with everything that is occuring (no surprise apparently if you know Dean). Michael also mentioned he received a very nice letter, which he gave to Peter (Brette) to give to me, that discussed this site. I'll look forward to reading it. (Peter could not give it to me since he was on a horse, Michael was on Messaging and I was on one of Tim's horses, whose "nickname" is also Bobby!) I am planning to attend the press conference.
update thursday, 7:15 am

Update 215: A new article from the Baltimore Sun, later in the day yesterday (10:34 pm): Derby winner Barbaro is 'facing tough odds' Infections impede horse's recovery. Much of the content we are familiar with I think. The Mercury News carries an article that mentions the purpose of today's press conference: Surgeon says Barbaro's 'facing tough odds' (which I plan to attend), excerpt:

Addressing a rumor that the news conference was to announce that Barbaro would be put down as soon as Thursday night, Gretchen Jackson said that was unfounded.

"No, I guarantee that's not going to happen unless something goes drastically wrong in the next 24 hours," she said in a phone interview Wednesday night.

The purpose of the news conference, she said, was for Richardson to give a detailed update on the events of the last week. "It just seems fitting that Dean does the whole thing now."
Old 07-13-2006, 07:12 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
I love how everybody is so secretive in here.....What is this?..The Presidency? If you state something then eb a man and stand behind it or don't state it at all...

..I'll probably get a big backlash for this, but I cannot understand the secrecy here...all it does is give the right for soembody to bash someone else without consiquence...if you are just chatting normally, then who cares if you are revealed?
very well said . While I agrre that th reported on ATRB disrespected his position as a member of the press by making this spectulation. Tao attacted him on this and other fronts refering to accountability while he refused to identify himself because he refused to be held accountable. How can you be right when you are so wrong? Im going to fight as hard as Barbaro is and look for the silver linning.No need to give up on this champ. Lets treat him like one and not just an item in a gossip collum.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:03 AM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by chupster2
From tim woollery site:

Update 216: Spoke to Michael Matz this morning (thursday). It appears Bobby is still doing OK given all we know. I asked Michael a little more about the press conference this morning. He won't be able to attend, but is aware that Dr. Dean Richardson will be very forthcoming with everything that is occuring (no surprise apparently if you know Dean). Michael also mentioned he received a very nice letter, which he gave to Peter (Brette) to give to me, that discussed this site. I'll look forward to reading it. (Peter could not give it to me since he was on a horse, Michael was on Messaging and I was on one of Tim's horses, whose "nickname" is also Bobby!) I am planning to attend the press conference.
update thursday, 7:15 am

Update 215: A new article from the Baltimore Sun, later in the day yesterday (10:34 pm): Derby winner Barbaro is 'facing tough odds' Infections impede horse's recovery. Much of the content we are familiar with I think. The Mercury News carries an article that mentions the purpose of today's press conference: Surgeon says Barbaro's 'facing tough odds' (which I plan to attend), excerpt:

Addressing a rumor that the news conference was to announce that Barbaro would be put down as soon as Thursday night, Gretchen Jackson said that was unfounded.

"No, I guarantee that's not going to happen unless something goes drastically wrong in the next 24 hours," she said in a phone interview Wednesday night.

The purpose of the news conference, she said, was for Richardson to give a detailed update on the events of the last week. "It just seems fitting that Dean does the whole thing now."
these are great updates, thanks so much for sharing them.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:11 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARHAGE
Wow, thats great about your horse, my mare recovered from a horendous laminitis bout, but she will never be the same, and is essentially my much loved, and appreciated pet. I will never ride her again for fear of causing a relapse, I have plenty others to ride, I'm just thankful she's still here with me and greeting me every morning!

Just to set the record straight, she isn't my mare. She is a lesson horse at the barn where I ride. Actually the first horse I rode out there. She is a very sweet mare. She is lucky everyone knows that. They caught it early. She only gives a lesson or two every other day. Jumping nothing bigger than 18 inches up to 2ft 3 inches. Most of her lessons are just walk/trot/ with some canter with no jumping, but sometimes she jumps. She really is a happy mare and is back to her hyper self (hyper only when being ridden, on the ground, she is a happy go lucky mare who loves attention.) They really don't overwork her. I know she is lucky to be alive, but she is thriving now so I am hoping the same will be said for Barbaro. Just trying to give a happy ending story so we can all keep our hopes up.

God Bless you Barbaro.