Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-12-2006, 03:20 PM
boldruler

Default Barbaro Press Conference is Tomorrow at 11am

I said there would be news today, but the press conference will be tomorrow morning at 11am.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:27 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldruler
I said there would be news today, but the press conference will be tomorrow morning at 11am.
WIthout betraying a trust, can you at least hint if we should brace ourselves?
Old 07-12-2006, 03:36 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
WIthout betraying a trust, can you at least hint if we should brace ourselves?
I have no idea. I just got an e-mail that said there would be a press conference tomorrow and that Klepto Cat worked on Monday.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Randwyck

doesn't sound good. Vet cancelled two NATIONAL TV appearances, and communication with the press has been shut down until the press conference tomorrow morning.

hope I'm wrong
Old 07-12-2006, 04:27 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanSooner
doesn't sound good. Vet cancelled two NATIONAL TV appearances, and communication with the press has been shut down until the press conference tomorrow morning.

hope I'm wrong
Yeah, I don't feel good about this at all. Not one bit. When I think about it, I get am empty feeling in my stomach.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Randwyck

heard an interview on HRTV today and it appears that the bad leg isn't even the problem right now, but an infection in the "good" leg.

cross our fingers.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanSooner
heard an interview on HRTV today and it appears that the bad leg isn't even the problem right now, but an infection in the "good" leg.

cross our fingers.
That was always my fear, a horse just is at a huge risk when they cannot distribute their weight evenly, add the stress of the injury and this poor horse was ripe for this problem. Laminitis is extremely hard to cure with 3 good legs, I hope I'm wrong. I was kind of surprised when I had read his post-op diet, they mentioned they were still giving him grain and Alfalfa hay, normally those are immediately taken away for fear of causing laminitis, especially to a stall bound horse. I just figure that these Dr.'s are the best in the country and know the risks involved.

I don't think we should be the prophets of doom though, it could be a pregress report just as easily.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:33 PM
top predator.

for those of you that listen to ATRAB--am I the only one who felt it was TOTALLY innappropriate for JJ to speculate that Barbaro has already been put down?!? I could not believe he said that--
Old 07-12-2006, 05:37 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
for those of you that listen to ATRAB--am I the only one who felt it was TOTALLY innappropriate for JJ to speculate that Barbaro has already been put down?!? I could not believe he said that--
Did he say that? Oh no. I always feared laminitis more than anything else. I think that given enough time that horse could survive the leg that was repaired. But laminitis is a hard thing to deal with, I guess all we can do is hope for a miracle.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:44 PM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Did he say that? Oh no. I always feared laminitis more than anything else. I think that given enough time that horse could survive the leg that was repaired. But laminitis is a hard thing to deal with, I guess all we can do is hope for a miracle.
He did indeed...regardless of whether or not he's right I just think it's callous to speculate on a national radio show about the death of such a beloved animal...Having dealt with laminitis first hand I can assure you it is very hard and seldom has the outcome one hope's for...
Old 07-12-2006, 05:50 PM
taoaracing

Lets stop all the speculation here and now.
Barbaro Updates: 5
Update 212: Just spoke to Peter Brette. He visited Bobby this afternoon (wednesday) and said he looks reasonably comfortable. Peter mentioned the press conference tomorrow, and the intent of the conference was for Dr. Richardson to detail everything that has occured over the last week or so. Keep all your positive energy for Bobby, he needs it.

Update 211: A press conference is scheduled for tomorrow (thursday) 11 am. Jeannine Edwards (ESPN) e-mailed me the following:

the presser is tomorrow at 11am. you can put on the site that sportscenter and espn news will be covering it.... no times yet, but it will be on the 6pm SC, and of course earlier on espn news during the day. they are flying a producer in from dallas to work with me tomorrow.

Update 210: The Baltimore Sun has this piece, timed: 2:17 pm today: Barbaro 'facing tough odds,' veterinarian says (thanks Sarah) copied in full:

Barbaro's condition turned "potentially serious" again today, a day after the Kentucky Derby winner's veterinarian gave a more upbeat report, saying the colt was stable and resting comfortably.

Dean Richardson, the chief surgeon at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center, also said the colt faced "tough odds" and that doctors were looking at all possible treatments to keep the 3-year-old comfortable.

"Our entire staff is determined to do all they can for this magnificent horse," Richardson said in a statement issued by the George D. Widener Hospital for Large Animals.

Barbaro, who shattered three bones in his right hind leg at the start of the Preakness at Pimlico Race Course on May 20, has undergone three surgical procedures in the past week. In the most recent one Saturday, Richardson replaced the titanium plate and 27 screws and treated two infections -- one in the injured leg and a small abscess on the sole of his uninjured left hind hoof.

"Today we will focus on further diagnostics and keeping our patient comfortable," Richardson said.

Doctors also are keeping watch for any signs of laminitis, a potentially fatal disease sometimes brought on by uneven weight balance.

A major concern centers on the infection in the right rear pastern joint -- located above the hoof that was shattered into more than 20 pieces. While most of the fractured bones have healed, the joint that connects the long and short pastern bones remains problematic.

Barbaro's recovery had been going smoothly until this recent series of setbacks. Saturday's surgery lasted three hours, and Richardson replaced the hardware that had been inserted into the leg the day after the Preakness.

"He's facing tough odds, and his condition is guarded," Richardson said.

Owner Roy Jackson said the sudden changes in Barbaro's condition made this a tough week.

"We've been concerned all along," Jackson said today. "It's just one of those things. It's very difficult to climb the mountain when something like that happened."

I think there is new information above, the most critical being the notion that he really does face tough odds. I will try to get an update from Peter later, but I am also not going to bug him (too much) for it. My plan, head down to the Whip for a couple of Tetleys (and that's not tea) a little later!
Old 07-12-2006, 05:54 PM
top predator.

thank you TAORACING for the info. BTW i wasn't speculating I was p i s s e d at the guy who was--on the radio no less.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:00 PM
taoaracing

I understand I dont know JJ Graci personally but have spoke with him several times 15 years ago, He was a subpar trainer then and thats prolly why he is doing radio now , Who knows but if he indeed did say the horse was already put down or would be put down well thats just wrong for him to say . Im sure he knows all the people connected to the horse as they are all from where im from originally in bucks county pennsylvania and the surrounding philadelphia area. In any event it's not his place to report that info .
Old 07-12-2006, 06:02 PM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoaracing
I understand I dont know JJ Graci personally but have spoke with him several times 15 years ago, He was a subpar trainer then and thats prolly why he is doing radio now , Who knows but if he indeed did say the horse was already put down or would be put down well thats just wrong for him to say . Im sure he knows all the people connected to the horse as they are all from where im from originally in bucks county pennsylvania and the surrounding philadelphia area. In any event it's not his place to report that info .
he wsan't reporting he was just offering his own opinion/speculation--I just thought it was out of line, like you said.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:05 PM
taoaracing

Well his opinion is worthless always has been , he was the Mike Battaglia of handicappers in the 80,s when him and Dick Jeradi of the philly daily news did a local radio show. Im sure Kasept will not like me saying these things but hey thats MY OPINION . Just like JJ,s about Barbaro . Or his offering of the concept being very low class at best
Old 07-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Santa Anita

Everyone say prayers for Barbaro. We have a mare that is now back working after a year ago having laminitis. It was a long road for her. Nothing to eat but hay. Not even carrots or apples. A year later she is now jumping again. Not anything big, but she is back to her old self.

So everyone say your prayers and think good thoughts!
Old 07-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Randwyck

We'll just have to wait and see until the press conference. Pray and keep your toes and fingers crossed for this awesome animal.

Have had a sick feeling in my gut all day about it. I just heard the replay of the ATRAB show today and Graci seems to feel the same way I did when watching HRTV's interview... I'm trying to be more optimistic, though.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:13 PM
Santa Anita

It's a shame when someone tries to interject themselves into a tragedy for some cheap publicity.

Let's think positive fans.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:15 PM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffymommy
Everyone say prayers for Barbaro. We have a mare that is now back working after a year ago having laminitis. It was a long road for her. Nothing to eat but hay. Not even carrots or apples. A year later she is now jumping again. Not anything big, but she is back to her old self.

So everyone say your prayers and think good thoughts!
your mare is lucky Buffy, be careful with her. I'm sure the vet has told you of her potential to relapse if the conditions are right--high stress, heavy work etc.
A few years ago I lost a horse to founder it's rough.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:18 PM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
I heard it as well, and I thought it was inappropriate speculation. I know JJ portrays himself as a straight shooter, but sometimes that attitude is not appropriate.

Freedom of the press is full and open, but sometimes, a touch of dignity is necessary for some stories and I think this would be one of them. More or less, a classless move by JJ.