Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-14-2006, 02:08 PM
Saratoga

Default Teachers

I'll tell you...I COMPLETELY missed the boat on this. I should have got certified when I was in college.

1) You get to sit in a female dominated classroom, that can only lead to one thing, multiple woman wanting a piece of you
2) June 1st through end of August OFF, not a darn thing to do except go to the track
3) Coach sports and yell at umpires/refs, and not get yelled at by wife when you do it
4) An insane benefit package, including your OWN social security, not the federal one
5) You get to see how dumb you really were in high school
6) I am not even going say this one, but some guys might have an idea what I want to say
7) YOU GET TO GO TO ASSEMBLYS, nuff said
Old 06-14-2006, 03:51 PM
Washington Park

Yeah, I'm thinkin about that (along with a million other things...yikes). I dunno what the hell I wanna be when I grow up

I cant believe what a bunch of nerds we are. We're looking up money laundering in the dictionary.

www.myspace.com/dustinfabian
Old 06-14-2006, 04:01 PM
Churchill Downs

Look, YOU DON'T WANT TO BE A TEACHER unless you are extremely patient and don't have a temper. I am working with middle school kids this week in a science camp, and I was so glad when my day was over that I didn't know what to do!
Old 06-14-2006, 04:08 PM
Saratoga

Default Whoa

Jess, little fiesty there.....Are you a teacher now?
Old 06-14-2006, 04:12 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st_Saturday_in_May
Yeah, I'm thinkin about that (along with a million other things...yikes). I dunno what the hell I wanna be when I grow up
I'll tell you this, don't pick some BS major and expect to coast. I have a marketing degree, in arguably the BIGGEST MARKETING CITY besides New York in the USA and I can't find ANYTHING. Absolute garbage. I am going back to school in September to get my accounting degree, everyone needs accountants, so I figure I will just do that.....
Old 06-14-2006, 04:23 PM
Del Mar

Scavs- I did the same thing. Treated college like a joke and have paid for it ever since! Man I wish I became a teacher. I'm with you there on the women thing. What an easy way to meet girls. LOL!
Old 06-14-2006, 04:33 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
Jess, little fiesty there.....Are you a teacher now?
No, just helping out with a science camp at my college for a few weeks for a little extra cash. I helped out with it last year too. I like teaching people when they are actually interested in what I have to say. For example, I love teaching all ages how to ride horses. However, some these middle school and high school kids in our science camp basically get dumped on us so thier parents can have a few more days off since school has ended. The sixth graders were very bad today, but the seventh and eighth graders weren't so bad. Don't get me wrong, some of them are interested in what we are trying to teach them, but most are not.

By the way, I've been feeling a little fiesty for the last few days...LOL.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:08 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Teaching is a really, really hard job-- there are several teachers in my family and they work their butts off. Remember, YOUR day isn't done at 3PM-- you have papers to grade, lessons to plan, etc. My old roommate was a teacher and she would come home and work until 11PM many nights. She lasted 3 years and then went back to school for a different degree. Of course, teaching in NYC didn't help...

Not to mention, most of them have to get second jobs in the summer anyway. Three cheers to those of you who go into the field-- I have enormous respect for what you do.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:09 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrosesinmay
Look, YOU DON'T WANT TO BE A TEACHER unless you are extremely patient and don't have a temper. I am working with middle school kids this week in a science camp, and I was so glad when my day was over that I didn't know what to do!
You may want to listen to Jess, cause Middle school kids are WORST! I did a gig for the school board doing break / fix work on PCs and they are some badd assed kids!
Old 06-14-2006, 06:23 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
I'll tell you...I COMPLETELY missed the boat on this. I should have got certified when I was in college.

1) You get to sit in a female dominated classroom, that can only lead to one thing, multiple woman wanting a piece of you
2) June 1st through end of August OFF, not a darn thing to do except go to the track
3) Coach sports and yell at umpires/refs, and not get yelled at by wife when you do it
4) An insane benefit package, including your OWN social security, not the federal one
5) You get to see how dumb you really were in high school
6) I am not even going say this one, but some guys might have an idea what I want to say
7) YOU GET TO GO TO ASSEMBLYS, nuff said
Actually if you don't have to be a teacher to coach Sports. How much does thoses High School Basketball, Football, Baseball, and Track coaches make in the Chicago area for the year again?
Old 06-14-2006, 06:51 PM
Saratoga

It is insane. My sister coachs FRESHMAN GIRLS VOLLEYBALL, which if anyone has ever seen it, it is a circus, and she gets like 5k additional to her salary, it is two months, practice for an hour, and SHE gets in shape from it
Old 06-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Del Mar

Hey Jess, if you teach middle school it may be a good way to pick up guys. I know I was in my prime when I was in 8th grade. A real Tiger.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:12 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
Hey Jess, if you teach middle school it may be a good way to pick up guys. I know I was in my prime when I was in 8th grade. A real Tiger.
HA, HA...Very funny Y'all love picking on me don't you?
Old 06-14-2006, 07:22 PM
5'8".. but all man!

My girlfriend teaches 1st grade. No way...not me....I love kids, but I told her there is a special place in heaven for women like her.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:23 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk
Teaching is a really, really hard job-- there are several teachers in my family and they work their butts off. Remember, YOUR day isn't done at 3PM-- you have papers to grade, lessons to plan, etc. My old roommate was a teacher and she would come home and work until 11PM many nights. She lasted 3 years and then went back to school for a different degree. Of course, teaching in NYC didn't help...

Not to mention, most of them have to get second jobs in the summer anyway. Three cheers to those of you who go into the field-- I have enormous respect for what you do.
The field of teaching is nothing more than crowd control NOW....If you don't love what you're doing, you'll burn out in no time!! Not trying to be harsh....just realistic!
Old 06-14-2006, 08:56 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk

The teachers up here don't need 2nd jobs.....In Illinois, it is law that all teachers have there salaries published on a website....My friend told me he was making 65k after FOUR FRIGGIN YEARS teaching, told him he was full of crap, he gives me the web site, and wouldn't you know, the f8cker is making $72 less then 65k....I COULDN'T believe it.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:16 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
The teachers up here don't need 2nd jobs.....In Illinois, it is law that all teachers have there salaries published on a website....My friend told me he was making 65k after FOUR FRIGGIN YEARS teaching, told him he was full of crap, he gives me the web site, and wouldn't you know, the f8cker is making $72 less then 65k....I COULDN'T believe it.
That is a FAIR amount of money,LOL!!
Old 06-14-2006, 10:13 PM
Saratoga

thta is what I am saying, should be arrested for theft.....
Old 06-15-2006, 10:08 AM
Santa Anita

Teaching is what my father wants to do when he retires from his current job at the end of the year. He is either going to teach high school or college. Actually something he has wanted to do for a long long time.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:09 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Teachers and folks who work in the medical field should be the highest paid folks in our society...I'd like to see all teachers make at least $100,000 a year...that would keep the best and brightest in the field! Teachers have more of an impact on the future of any society that any other group, they should be compensated!