Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-20-2021, 04:42 PM
Havre de Grace

I don't know whether it means much scoring early in the contest. I always start out like a Maserati, but then I finish like a Ford Falcon.
Old 11-20-2021, 05:13 PM
The Curragh

CAL
I learned a long time ago

IT AIN’T OVER TILL THE STOUT LADY SINGS

WEB SITE LINK => www.RUFFIAN333.com
Old 11-20-2021, 05:44 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFIAN View Post
CAL
I learned a long time ago

IT AIN’T OVER TILL THE STOUT LADY SINGS
So true!! 49 more weeks to go. Anything can happen and probably will. Maybe we'll break some records and get some new inductees into the Call To The Post Hall of Fame!
Old 11-20-2021, 05:53 PM
The Curragh

CAL ~

I may not have “broken any records” this year?
But to finish as #1 In Points 🏆 & ROI 🏆
Is A Personal Best
When The Competition Is So Formidable 😱

My Crystal Ball + Colorado Catnip 🐈*⬛ Colossal Combination

MAY THE PURRRRRR BE WITH YOU 🐱

WEB SITE LINK => www.RUFFIAN333.com
Old 11-20-2021, 06:15 PM
Havre de Grace

Formidable is right. Seems strange that Everyone played so poorly for Breeder's Cup and then so well today. You would have thought that the two Breeder's Cup days would have presented more opportunity for big scores, but I guess that's racing. Just never quite know what's going to happen. As I recall though, we didn't have a full crew for Breeder's Cup. I think we had almost twice as many players today.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:40 PM
Suffolk Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Quiet View Post
Welcome to Eclipse and Zippy. Good luck. Almost had a full starting gate and it's good to see everyone back.
Thank you, Real Quiet, good to be here, and thank you for scoring this contest. Not a great first day for me as far as this contest but I learned about some bets I did not know existed, some I still don't even understand, so that's great. Obviously I can learn a lot here.

Too bad we weren't betting Keeneland today. My real money was all over Center Aisle and Sun Path, win & place and show, respectively, also won at Hawthorne, somehow seems like a can't miss track for me. If I ever win this thing when Hawthorne is running that will be my pick for next week's venue even though Indian Hemp thinks it sucks.

Looking forward to next week already!! Who won? What is next week's track?
Old 11-21-2021, 05:16 AM
Havre de Grace

Looking forward to next week already!! Who won? What is next week's track?[/quote]

If you look right above this thread, you will see a thread entitled "New Contest Format." It explains a lot of what goes on here. There are actually 2 contests. One is a "points" contest and the other is the ROI which is the one you played. The points contest may include all the races at a track or only a certain number such as 8 or 10 of those offered. The winner of this contest determines the venue for the following week. Real Quiet is the score keeper for the ROI contest and Plenilune is the scorer of the points contest. We are lucky to have them. They do a fantastic job and the results will be forthcoming after they've tallied it all up. Pretty crazy scoring in this last contest and don't envy RQ his job, but he does it well and even throws in a bit of humor.

We have played a wide variety of racetrack venues since I've been here, but can't ever remember playing Hawthorne. We generally go wherever there are some nice stakes races, but of course sometimes the "Pickens" are Slim and the choice can be difficult and we end up going to a seldom used venue other than the more familiar NYRA tracks or the Stronachs or Keeneland.

Last edited by cal828 : 11-21-2021 at 06:08 AM.
Old 11-21-2021, 08:55 AM
Oriental Park

Eclipse, welcome to our small but enthusiastic group. I'd like to add a couple of items to Cal's informative reply to you. In addition to the ROI contest which you played, we also have a points contest. You might notice the thread for it right next to the ROI thread for this past Saturday. You might want to give it a try as well.

One of our group's traditions is that the winner of the points contest is the one who has the privilege and responsibility of choosing the net week's venue. Plenilune is the conscientious and hard working scorer of the points contest and usually has those results posted no later than Monday evening. The points winner customarily will announce the venue for the next contest by late Wednesday or early Thursday, after having had a chance to look at the entries and determine which venue might be of greatest interest to the majority of our players. Hawthorne has not been part of our regular rotation but certainly could be an interesting choice.

Once again, welcome aboard.
Old 11-21-2021, 12:15 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
Thank you, Real Quiet, good to be here, and thank you for scoring this contest. Not a great first day for me as far as this contest but I learned about some bets I did not know existed, some I still don't even understand, so that's great. Obviously I can learn a lot here.

Too bad we weren't betting Keeneland today. My real money was all over Center Aisle and Sun Path, win & place and show, respectively, also won at Hawthorne, somehow seems like a can't miss track for me. If I ever win this thing when Hawthorne is running that will be my pick for next week's venue even though Indian Hemp thinks it sucks.

Looking forward to next week already!! Who won? What is next week's track?
Yes welome to the group/family. Love your avatar BTW. Jump into the Points contest next Saturday, double your fun or frustration as most of us enjoy.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:33 PM
Suffolk Downs

Thank you all for the warm welcome and info. I am aware that there is both a Points and ROI contest each week. Indian Hemp is a friend who introduced me to this forum, don't remember if he told me about both these contests or someone else did, but since I'm new to betting in general and especially to contests, plan to stick with Points for now then probably explore the ROI contest eventually.

I'll keep in mind the advice given about track venue selections and would only pick Hawthorne, or Indiana Grand, or any other track with which I'm especially familiar but most people aren't, if I see from entries that there might be some good bettable longshots and no other track looks better.
Old 11-27-2021, 02:17 AM
Del Mar

Welcome Eclipse and Zippy! Here's a great link when considering a venue after winning the Points Contest:

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...takes-calendar

Wishing you both great luck!