Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-06-2006, 06:55 AM
oracle80

Default Belmont Stakes Day entries tomorrow

Be great for horseplayers and fans to have an extra day to go over the card for Belmont Day, especially with as many races as they plan to have.
Entries will be taken tomorrow.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:19 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Can't wait, taking Friday off, I'll print off the Form and Sheets tomorrow night and do the prep work on TH and go over all day Friday.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:42 AM
Arlington Park

For the Belmont, with the race being 12 furlongs, do you guys see ANY scenario in which post positions might be important?
Old 06-06-2006, 08:49 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
For the Belmont, with the race being 12 furlongs, do you guys see ANY scenario in which post positions might be important?
Yes I do Miraja. IN this Belmont the horses are very equally matched, regardless of what you may read. There are no clear cut dominant horses and I expect the stretch run to be a bit more stirring this year. Perhaps as many as 4-5 horses may be in contention with a chance turning for home. Ground lost on turns could make all the difference in this renewal of the Belmont Stakes. A length or two on the first turn may be the difference between winning and 4th place. There is real lack of speed in this running, and a horse with moderate speed who draws inside may find himself near the lead or stalking, the same horse could draw the 12 hole and be forced to expend energy early to get to the same position he could just naturally fall into if he drew inside.
I'm not really ready to make any predictions until the pp's are drawn. They WILL come into play this year, and I would want to see the horse I am keying to hit the board in the trifectas draw an inside post, from 6 in.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:50 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Have to disagree with Oracle, I just don't see how post position plays a role in a 12F race with less than 12 horses. Looks like only one horse wants to be on the lead, the others will just settle for mid pack or way back.

I wouldn't listen to me though when it comes to picking winners.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:33 PM
SCRUFFY 51

Default Belmont

There isn't much early speed in the Belmont this year so it should become a jockeys race and getting the right trip. Not a huge field either so there shouldn't be much bad racing luck or excuses to be made. The better horse should win. I have my picks but don't want to give them out or his odds will drop dramatically. All I will say is throw out all of the deep closers.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:46 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRUFFY 51
There isn't much early speed in the Belmont this year so it should become a jockeys race and getting the right trip. Not a huge field either so there shouldn't be much bad racing luck or excuses to be made. The better horse should win. I have my picks but don't want to give them out or his odds will drop dramatically. All I will say is throw out all of the deep closers.

you're input is appreciately, but giving out you're pick will lower your horse's odds "dramically"? Highly doubtful. There's too much $$ in the betting pools(on Belmont Day) and too few people on this message board to truly affect the odds. I'll tell you right now, I'm really starting to like High Finance, and I'm not too worried that my tout or betting will impact the odds very much!! ( Actually, I plan to spread in the Belmont as part of a Pick 4, so I'm not really backing just one horse!)
Old 06-06-2006, 01:48 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldruler
Have to disagree with Oracle, I just don't see how post position plays a role in a 12F race with less than 12 horses. Looks like only one horse wants to be on the lead, the others will just settle for mid pack or way back.

I wouldn't listen to me though when it comes to picking winners.

That is the way I saw it too. I see Oracle's point though, maybe if a stalker (which seems to describe most of the horses in this race) draws post 11 or 12 he might get hung wide on the 1st turn. I don't think it will make a BIG difference, but I think it will be a close race and maybe a little difference will make THE difference.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Sheepshead Bay

The winner of course will be ready to run but the lack of early speed could be a big factor with the posibility of being ung out wide in the 1st turn. Tactical speed wil come in handy as far as getting position ,taking advantage of holes left inside and relaxing and turning it on again. This race will be hard predict as far who will be where and when. We all know the stalkers and deep closers . Who will set the pace and will they try to steal the race after they inherit a lead that noone wants.It looks like a jockeys race as far as judging the pace and how much horse they have.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:06 PM
Morris Park

Jeepers, do you really think somebody who bets enough to potentially affect the win pool in a race like The Belmont Stakes would take advice from anybody on this board? That person would have to make like a 25K win bet on one horse to affect the odds, and I doubt anyone's opinion on here would be the deciding factor.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:13 PM
oracle80

Quote:
That is the way I saw it too. I see Oracle's point though, maybe if a stalker (which seems to describe most of the horses in this race) draws post 11 or 12 he might get hung wide on the 1st turn. I don't think it will make a BIG difference, but I think it will be a close race and maybe a little difference will make THE difference.

Thats my point. Lots of stalkers and since the pace won't be fast its likely that outside horses will be screwed on the first turn. The run to the first turn isn't even as far teh run to first turn in the Derby, not even close. Belmont is a mile and a half oval, so the run to the first turn isnt like the one at CD. Without speed, in a big field, if you draw outside things arent going to be easy.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:27 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRUFFY 51

Well the Belmont is always a jockeys race no matter what. Elliott, Desourmeaux and Chavez are screwed up in the Belmont. Often times, you see a jock mid-judge how much further the race is and move their horse too soon. As far as a big field, you should have 11 or 12 runners. That is a nig field for the Belmont.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Thats my point. Lots of stalkers and since the pace won't be fast its likely that outside horses will be screwed on the first turn. The run to the first turn isn't even as far teh run to first turn in the Derby, not even close. Belmont is a mile and a half oval, so the run to the first turn isnt like the one at CD. Without speed, in a big field, if you draw outside things arent going to be easy.

Hopefully that will help narrow down things a bit then. I just want to box 4-5 in a $1 tri and just go from there.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobounce
Well the Belmont is always a jockeys race no matter what. Elliott, Desourmeaux and Chavez are screwed up in the Belmont. Often times, you see a jock mid-judge how much further the race is and move their horse too soon. As far as a big field, you should have 11 or 12 runners. That is a nig field for the Belmont.
What kind of field, Euro?