Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Golden Gate

Default What about Steppenwolfer

I would like to here some opinions on him if anybody has any. I here people talking no speed in the Belmont, I believe this horse just does not need a fast pace to close into a race. He seems to be within striking distance everytime they turn for home but just never gets there. And a 1 1/2 for this guy I think he will love it.

Last edited by Togacapper : 06-02-2006 at 06:30 PM. Reason: horses name is spelled wrong
Old 06-01-2006, 11:06 PM
Cunningham Racing

I have always thought that this colt was simply too slow...I was actually impressed with his Derby more than most because I have never thought he was much horse.

When he was beaten by a couple of La-Breds earlier this year in a FG @ LaD allowance race (I picked him as a 'Best Bet' when I was selecting for the FG website and he ran like third) without any real excuse - I decided he just wasn't a real quality animal....Obviously, he is of the improving sort and has gotten better, but I still cannot envision him winning the Belmont...he's a fringe player.

FYI though...Jockey Robby Albarado guaranteed victory on a WWL radio program in New Orleans last week......but then again, he is a JOCKEY..lol
Old 06-01-2006, 11:06 PM
Monmouth Park

I love him in this race....I actually posted in an earlier thread that I think it's a two horse race between SW and Jazil.....
Old 06-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Del Mar

he'll be in the money but i doubt he can keep close enough to the lead at that distance to close on everybody- i'll put my life's savings on him showing though
Old 06-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Golden Gate

I agree somewhat some other things need to happen. As for his derby performance I believe this colt had every chance to get 2nd I just think the plethcer horse got first run on him as he was closing from way back. And he seems to be improving very well. Although I dont think he's as good as some of these it's just the 1 1/2 that to me looks like this horse will be better than these.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:20 PM
Golden Gate

And Albarado guarantee's a win huh who is he Joe Namath.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:26 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarta
I think it's a two horse race between SW and Jazil.....
The only problem here is that they are both stone closers and need everyone else to melt down for them to form the exacta....I just don't see that happening...the fact is that Bluegrass Cat was faster than these horses going into the Derby and he still remains the fastest of this bunch (according to Ragozin figs).

I have never been a huge fan of Bluegrass Cat, but the race goes through him according to the figs, and his tactical speed gives him an added edge over Jazil and Steppenwolfer.

Also, don't discount Hemingway's Key underneath (although I hate this horse too) for Zito, who has a great history having horses fire huge in this race and obviously can get one ready for 1 1/2 miles as good as any...

Things could change, but right now I like:

1) Bluegrass Cat
2) Deputy Glitters
3) Hemingway's Key

Jazil and Steppenwolfer obviously figure to clunk up underneath too, but I'll play Hemingway's Key at a better price in most TRIs.

I have never believed in Bob and John and still don't...Sunriver is likable, but the facts are that he still ahsn't run lights out fast....100 Beyer and barely getting by a Catalano's turf horse just doesn't get it...obviously, Pletcher wouldn't have gutted him in the Peter Pan, but the fact that he was cranked for the Derby (if he were to drawinto the field) and under a hard drive in the Peter Pan to win suggests to me that he gave close to a best effort in that race and won't move up too far off of it - so playing against him.

The others are simply too slow to win this race on paper, but I guess there could be a Sarava in the wings since there is technically no "big" horses amongst this bunch....we'll see next week!!!
Old 06-01-2006, 11:30 PM
Golden Gate

Appreciate your input Cunningham
Old 06-01-2006, 11:41 PM
Golden Gate

Cunningham if ya have the time explain to me why Deputy fits in this race and why?
Old 06-02-2006, 12:15 AM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togacapper
Cunningham if ya have the time explain to me why Deputy fits in this race and why?
1) He likes Belmont (when its not raining)
2) He possesses some of the best tactical speed of the colts that you KNOW will relish the 1 1/2-mile distance.
3) And he has run Rag figs that rival with the top horses in here...when he beat Bluegrass Cat in the TB Derby, BG Cat actually ran a better number (3) than DG (4) because of the trouble BG Cat encountered. But, the fact still remains that he can throw a sub-5 effort when he fires and not many in this prospective field can - or at least has to this point.

I thought Deputy Glitters was faster than Bob and John heading into the Wood, but obviously he didn't like the slop....betting DG is sitting on a big effort on a dry Belmont oval
Old 06-02-2006, 12:23 AM
Washington Park

I'm with Cunningham on the tri actually, those are my top 3. I think Zito will have Hemingway's Key ready to roll. The only horse that I am really worried about is Oh So Awesome as Team Valor shipped him here just for this race
Old 06-02-2006, 12:24 AM
Golden Gate

Very strong oppinion I appreciate it. I don't look at those figs but I have used them from someone I know who uses them. I had a vey good undercard at Churchill due to those figs on Derby Day.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:11 AM
Secretariat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
The only problem here is that they are both stone closers and need everyone else to melt down for them to form the exacta....I just don't see that happening...the fact is that Bluegrass Cat was faster than these horses going into the Derby and he still remains the fastest of this bunch (according to Ragozin figs).

I have never been a huge fan of Bluegrass Cat, but the race goes through him according to the figs, and his tactical speed gives him an added edge over Jazil and Steppenwolfer.

Also, don't discount Hemingway's Key underneath (although I hate this horse too) for Zito, who has a great history having horses fire huge in this race and obviously can get one ready for 1 1/2 miles as good as any...

Things could change, but right now I like:

1) Bluegrass Cat
2) Deputy Glitters
3) Hemingway's Key

Jazil and Steppenwolfer obviously figure to clunk up underneath too, but I'll play Hemingway's Key at a better price in most TRIs.

I have never believed in Bob and John and still don't...Sunriver is likable, but the facts are that he still ahsn't run lights out fast....100 Beyer and barely getting by a Catalano's turf horse just doesn't get it...obviously, Pletcher wouldn't have gutted him in the Peter Pan, but the fact that he was cranked for the Derby (if he were to drawinto the field) and under a hard drive in the Peter Pan to win suggests to me that he gave close to a best effort in that race and won't move up too far off of it - so playing against him.

The others are simply too slow to win this race on paper, but I guess there could be a Sarava in the wings since there is technically no "big" horses amongst this bunch....we'll see next week!!!

how can you believe in Jazil but not Bob and John, they have almost identical pedigree, and BanJo defeated jazil on this track in the wood. Steppenwolfer will like this race, he has chased Lawyer ron all spring, gaining in the 9th furlong and in the derby showed that 10f is okay as well. he will continue to plod on after many have stopped.
right now Jazil, And Steppenwolfer are my top 2 picks.
who can forget jazil closing in the wood in the slop on this track, who can forget him closing in the KD at 10f.
is something changed now ??
he will be kicking down this stretch AGAIN, nothing has changed,
except this time there will be enough runway to catch BanJo.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:18 AM
Churchill Downs

How many "closers" have won the Belmont? We hear it every year about how someone will appreciate the extra distance, but history tells us that you must be on or near the front at the quarter pole. Steppenwolfer and Jazil may like the added distance, but I'm betting it won't get them in the top 2.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:22 AM
Secretariat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Gulch
How many "closers" have won the Belmont? We hear it every year about how someone will appreciate the extra distance, but history tells us that you must be on or near the front at the quarter pole. Steppenwolfer and Jazil may like the added distance, but I'm betting it won't get them in the top 2.

well i'm betting that they will, why don't you just mail me your money instead of wasting it.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:40 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat
well i'm betting that they will, why don't you just mail me your money instead of wasting it.
LOL

Closers don't typically win the Belmont. Just because there is added distance, doesn't mean that they are going to close better. Each race is ran according to the distance of that particular race... I do see at least one of them hitting the board though.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:43 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:

Victory Gallop did.

But I do think Jazil has a better shot than Steppenwolfer.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:37 AM
Churchill Downs

Yeah, Victory Gallop did, but he would shred either of these two we are discussing, and he is the only one in 15 years...Kinda like frontrunners in the Derby, exceptions happen, but you don't want to try to make money with them.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:43 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Yeah, Victory Gallop did, but he would shred either of these two we are discussing, and he is the only one in 15 years...Kinda like frontrunners in the Derby, exceptions happen, but you don't want to try to make money with them.
I am sticking with BobandJohn. (Although I did love Victory Gallop! I think I was the only one happy that he won the belmont.)

My tri box (as of right now) is B&J; Deputy Glitters and Jazil. If it is a sloppy track take out DG and put in Bigdog's horse.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Woodbine

Actually I was 2, I had win money on him and ex box w/ RQ. That stretch seem like it was in slow motion.