Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-08-2008, 06:07 AM
Steve Byk

Default 3YO (1/12): FG-LeComte; SA-San Rafael

FG 9th (4:28) LeComte S. (G3)

PP's
http://www.drf.com/row/pps/08lecomte.pdf

1 Mile | Open | 3 Year Olds Stakes | Purse: $100,000

1 Texas Fever Theriot H J II 122 L
2 The Darp Albarado R J 116 L
3 He's Eze Rivera J A II 122 L
4 Star Guitar SCR
5 Z Fortune Bridgmohan S X 120 L
6 Blackberry Road Borel C H 116 L
7 Mad Flatter Graham J 118 L
8 Macho Again Leparoux J R 118 L
9 Star Defender Mena M 116 L

SA 5th (1:45) San Rafael S. (G3)

PP's
http://www.brisnet.com/bris_link/pdf...cher_99354.pdf

1 Mile (All Weather Track) | Open | 3 Year Olds Stakes | Purse: $150,000

1 El Gato Malo Flores D R 119 L
2 Talk of a Cat Gomez G K 116 L
3 Sierra Sunset Espinoza V 122 L
4 Overbid Baze M C 116 L
5 Indian Sun Solis A 116 L
6 Massive Drama Bejarano R 119 L
7 Spinning Sound (IRE) Baze T C 116 Blk-On L

Last edited by Kasept : 01-11-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Hialeah Park

Lots of speed here, should set up perfectly for a Blackberry Road/Macho Again exacta.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Steve Byk

I cast my lot on Texas Fever going into the BC, and remain intrigued. Think this is the coming out party for the Stonerside-Stidham colt. Working great at FG for first dirt try.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Hard Spun won for fun last year in this race; would be neat to see another story come out of the Lecomte.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:04 AM

Mad Flatter has looked pretty impressive in his few races. Not sure how I feel about his speed in here yet, but it's hard to argue with a horse who has done so little wrong and looked so good doing it.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:35 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwspencer
Mad Flatter has looked pretty impressive in his few races. Not sure how I feel about his speed in here yet, but it's hard to argue with a horse who has done so little wrong and looked so good doing it.
Someone needs to tell the connections of mad flatter that it is a long year. Seems to be a colt with a bright future, but they're not all like T-bergs and lawyer ron that can run 14 times before the derby.
Besides, I don't think being out of a Honor Grades mare is going to be a benefit as the races get longer. We'll see.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOL JACK
Someone needs to tell the connections of mad flatter that it is a long year. Seems to be a colt with a bright future, but they're not all like T-bergs and lawyer ron that can run 14 times before the derby.
Besides, I don't think being out of a Honor Grades mare is going to be a benefit as the races get longer. We'll see.
Well he's hardly overraced as it stands now, though he will surely need a break at some point should he continue to run well enough to earn his way into the Derby.

I'm not jumping on his Derby bandwagon right now by any means, but I'm at least interested.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Golden Gate

Think Macho Again could be a very good one.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:21 AM
Calder Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept

4 Star Guitar Bourque C C 122 L

made my biggest score in recent memory with He's Eze ( thanks to Steve ), so I'm coming right back with him despite the anchor on his back. + smooth air verified his effort
Old 01-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfla
made my biggest score in recent memory with He's Eze ( thanks to Steve ), so I'm coming right back with him despite the anchor on his back. + smooth air verified his effort
His wire to wire win at Calder was undoubtedly a surprise and congrats for tagging him that day. What he did enjoy that day was an uncontested lead on a speed favoring track though.

The one mile distance at FG is similar to the setup at Oaklawn as the race starts and ends at the sixteenth pole. The stretch run ends up being about 1000 feet, or basically the standard stretch run at any track in America. What that means is that getting yourself into position into the far turn is of paramount importance so a horse like He's Eze has to be moved up a bit because he will most likely be on the engine. There is definitely other early speed in here, including potentially The Darp, Z Fortune and certainly Mad Flatter.

I like Blackberry Road and Macho Again.

NT
Old 01-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:

4 Star Guitar Bourque C C 122 L SCR

Star Guitar is out with an injury. Questionable as to how far he would get on the trail, but a very promising local bred was going to try two turns. Two impressive wins at the FG this meet, he looked really good in the paddock and on the track. As far as a win with this group questionable but definitely would have affected the pace. Shame for the connections would have at least given them a good idea where he stood.

Haven't made my pick yet but really going to enjoy being there to watch no matter what the outcome. Right now I can make a case for several of them, probably wait until I see them in the paddock.

Rain was not to bad in the city yesterday, expecting a severe front coming thru today. Warm and humid right now. Only 20% chance of rain for tomorrow and Saturday which is nothing in NOLA. Turf will be questionable but we dry out quickly here.

Going to be a really fun day. Steve, I'll get you a pic of Texas Fever...LOL

Last edited by FGFan : 01-10-2008 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Hollywood Park

At first glance I am drawn to Z Fortune, He's Eze and The Darp. Maybe a small trifecta box on these....
Old 01-11-2008, 12:47 PM

The coming out party of El Gato Malo. I think he's got a chance to be a really good one.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 01-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Oaklawn

He's Eze has blossomed

Last edited by Mike : 01-11-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Oaklawn

not sure who will step up in the Lecomte.

Texas Fever has already shown to be pretty good and the strong local worktab eases 1st on dirt jitters.

The Darp looks like a good horse.

I don't like the pedigree, but Z fortune looks like a good animal, most likely the class here exposes him.

Blackberry Road should close into a piece of the money.

Not wowed by Macho Again, but happen to be high on Monba and this one was right there- still don't like him to win.

Texas Fever , The Darp ... hoping Texas Fever puts on a show.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:58 AM
Steve Byk

9th: The LeComte (Gr. III), 3yo, 1m

1. Texas Fever (Theriot/Stidham) 122 (4-1): Critics cite initial dirt try coming now, but star quality Stidham runner cut out for the main and has worked lights out for spot; BC Juvy Turf try a horror show, but Stonerside homebred just kept coming with sneaky great effort; $60k in Graded gelt already, and the one we're watching most closely looking towards Louisville..

2. The Darp (Albarado/Werner) 116 (8-1): Proud Citizen bay from talented Werner appreciated 2nd turn when demolishing MSW foes third career outing; May be the type that needs experience with each step forward, but faced good ones sprinting and figures to get forward placing here that should translate to good trip; Value will be there and leaning towards using $130k KEE Nov. Yearling liberally..

3. He's Eze (Rivera/Oliver) 122 (12-1): Calder invader exits traditional 2yo Miami wars and besting of Hutch hero Smooth Air when last seen sticks out on PP's; Solid conditioner Oliver rested Silver Deputy stalker for graded debut, and got local a.m. tour Monday; Repeat of Jack Price effort puts him in money today..

4. Star Guitar SCRATCHED

5. Z Fortune (Bridgmohan/Asmussen) 120 (6-1): NY-bred impressed in blowout BEL unvieling in October and followed it with facile Empire ALW score on Big A Inner; Sees open and graded company for first time, and would be no surprise if son of Siphon becomes Zayat Derby prospect #17 by day's end..

6. Blackberry Road (Borel/Carroll) 116 (7-2): $235k more than Dogwood typically spends under gavel, and D. Carroll hopeful has done little wrong on real main tracks building 6/1-1-2-1 record; Hard-pressed to swallow 7-2 ML on Gone West colt that seems a tad over-rated..

7. Mad Flatter (Graham/Thornbury) 118 (6-1): Homebred bay by Flatter earned diploma on sealed CD slop ahead of off-turf ALW score this oval; Steady figure earner could jump up, but doubt he beat much in the two wins and folded the one time he was confronted in the stretch; Leaning elsewhere..

8. Macho Again (Leparoux/Stewart) 118 (9-2): Stewart rolling at NOLA and Macho Uno grey looks like "this year's model" for West Point Derby interests; Debutted 2nd in Spa MSW that has produced glut of real horses, and neckjob to Monba in juvy season-ender hinted at good things ahead; Stalker type stands to lose ground early, but could make presence felt late under good rally rider Leparoux..

9. Star Defender (Mena/Asmussen) 116 (12-1): Should probably fear "2nd" Asmussen runner, but $400k Jess Jackson purchase looks hopeless versus these off 2yo form that featured stops at Ellis, Remington and Zia Park; Vindication bay oddly spotted unless he's grown wings since November..

SELECTIONS:

1. #1 Texas Fever
2. #2 The Darp
3. #3 He's Eze
4. #5 Z Fortune

Last edited by Kasept : 01-12-2008 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:40 AM
Golden Gate

I really like the NY bred Z Fortune. I think it's interesting that Steve would ship him to the Fairgrounds. It almost looks like Mr. Assmussen is trying to hide his horses a little bit. Maybe he'll make his Derby Trail run from the Deep South. Who knows, he might even show up in Hot Springs say for the Southwest or Rebel. Look out, this one could go off at a decent price.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:29 AM
Steve Byk

5th: San Raphael (Gr. III), 3yo, 1m

1. El Gato Malo (Flores/Dollase, C.) 119 (3-1): West Coast West Point interest under direction of '07 breakthrough conditioner Dollase; Owns pair of open length scores comin in and should sit trip behind Pletcher product gated adroit; May not want classic distance but El Corredor gelding certainly suited for today's tour; Using..

2. Talk of a Cat (Gomez/Pletcher) 116 (5-2): $625k Coolmore buy at Saratoga Select Sale was OK in debut behind 'Racecar' and Mad Flatter before wiring HOL foes in zippy time; Gives 2 turns a try and may well find self alone and loose; Another good for today and questionable going 9f+..

3. Sierra Sunset (Espinoza/Bonde) 122 (5-1): Stoutly-campaigned Cal-bred has visited 5 coastal venues (including Santa Rosa) en route to 8/3-2-1-$190k marks; Ran deceptively solid HOL Futurity with he, Indian Sun and Massive Drama finishing 6th, 5th and 3rd respectively less 2L apart; Honest enough Bertrando bay from Bonde seems tactical, but hard to gauge fit with added pace factors signed on and his questionable finishing ability..

4. Overbid (Baze M./Guillot) 116 (6-1): $450k Pulpit from Guillot spots group a lot of experience with maiden-breaking debut lone outing; Tend to think finding 2nd turn and stakes foes off the one start a lot to ask; Looking elsewhere..

5. Indian Sun (Solis/Hendricks) 116 (15-1): Brother Derek team visits third graded stake in a row sporting classic development arc for young horses; Shows 2 sets of paired tries and logical next step could find him in the money mix at a bonus price; Hendricks knows this path from '05 Derby run, and Injun Chuck bay looks like one of the ones here sure to run his race; Exotics booster..

6. Massive Drama (Bejarano/Baffert) 119 (2-1): Pricey Zayat buy from Kafwain is steadily slipping backwards on the fig scale as distances increase, a distressing sign; 2-1 an impossible price to embrace this time of year with young 3yo's developing at rapid rates, but sharp works from Baffert charge makes him difficult to toss totally; Using defensively only..

7. Spinning Sound (Baze T./Gallagher) 116 Blk-On (30-1): Gallagher import has disappointed in prior pair, first 2 NA, with off board finishes in Logan and Generous; Moves to sythetic possible cause for optimism given maiden hit over Lingfield's PolyTrack last summer; Couple that with addition of goggles, and 30-1 doesn't look so bad; For deep exotic plays..

SELECTIONS:

1. #1 El Gato Malo
2. #2 Talk of a Cat
3. #5 Indian Sun
4. #6 Massive Drama
Old 01-12-2008, 08:35 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
I cast my lot on Texas Fever going into the BC, and remain intrigued. Think this is the coming out party for the Stonerside-Stidham colt. Working great at FG for first dirt try.
Texas Fever looked really good last summer working at AP and I agree with you that this is the horse to beat.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by merasmag
that mdrama does not have his regular rider...where is kent d today?
A positive jock switch distresses you? Thats a first.

Texas Fever and Massive Drama respectively. I love the worktabs on both of these, and if the price is right, will be backing them accordingly.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel