Old 11-20-2012, 12:02 AM
Del Mar

Default $100k a Year Jobs That Nobody Wants

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/break...133726536.html
Old 11-20-2012, 05:22 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
i saw this article yesterday. yes, we need more auto mechanics, and there are long haul jobs available.
but paying 100k?! fat chance.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:49 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
i saw this article yesterday. yes, we need more auto mechanics, and there are long haul jobs available.
but paying 100k?! fat chance.
I googled, and here is what I found on average salary for a long haul driver:

Quote:
Salary Range
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the average annual income of long-haul truckers was $39,830 in May 2011. This annual income level translates to an average wage of $19.15 an hour. Workers in the top 10 percent of annual income made more than $58,440 a year, and workers in the bottom 10 percent earned under $24,880. Fifty percent of heavy truck and tractor-trailer drivers earned between $30,500 and $47,130 a year.
http://work.chron.com/long-haul-truck-salary-3603.html

And a link to a chart with average salaries for various auto mechanic positions:

http://www.indeed.com/salary/Automotive-Technician.html

Highest salary was $68,000 for a auto light truck mechanic and lowest was $24,000 for a Tires Plus Automotive technician. Overall average salary was $37,000.

So yeah, "fat chance" seems like a pretty accurate summary.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Randwyck

I've seen drivers make somewhere close to $60,000 a year, possibly more, but that all ended after 2008. Its a possibility they may have came close in 2010 and 2011, but this year was a nice nosedive.

These days are going to be tough as manufacturers lowers rates as cost of fuel and parts continue to rise.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk View Post

And a link to a chart with average salaries for various auto mechanic positions:

Highest salary was $68,000 for a auto light truck mechanic and lowest was $24,000 for a Tires Plus Automotive technician. Overall average salary was $37,000.

I have no idea where they came up with that figure. It sounded pretty high to me but I figured that the author knew what he was talking about since he had to do research for the story.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk View Post

Unless you are a union mechanic for say the city of chicago. Or even a short haul truck driver for that matter.

Then when adding in benefits including a healthy pension shows you how much the taxpayer is being gouged by these public unions.

Wonder what an idiot punching tickets on the Metra rail line earns? These clowns would have a hard time returning carts for WalMart.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
I have no idea where they came up with that figure. It sounded pretty high to me but I figured that the author knew what he was talking about since he had to do research for the story.
in the article, the writer specifically mentions figures of 42k and 55k, but says more could be possible with additional training. not sure who wrote the headline.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:21 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
in the article, the writer specifically mentions figures of 42k and 55k, but says more could be possible with additional training. not sure who wrote the headline.
They probably figured that more people would read it if it said $100k. I have actually read that some garbage collectors (sanitation workers) in New York make $100,000 a year.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/...l-city-workers
Old 11-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Keeneland

A regular at the track (Arlington) many here know fondly or not worked a ghost FAA job so as not to miss a day of racing and now has a pension as he's now retired from 'not working'. Never missed a day at the track or off work.

Our money in the hands of union obligated politicians.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:13 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellinger63 View Post
A regular at the track (Arlington) many here know fondly or not worked a ghost FAA job so as not to miss a day of racing and now has a pension as he's now retired from 'not working'. Never missed a day at the track or off work.

Our money in the hands of union obligated politicians.
So why are you telling us? You knew of this criminal activity and let it happen.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:19 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
So why are you telling us? You knew of this criminal activity and let it happen.
Statute of limitations ran out decades ago and I didn't know him in the 1970's.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Statute of limitations ran out decades ago and I didn't know him in the 1970's.
How is that he is getting a pension now for a job he didnt work. You need to report this rather then tell us.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
How is that he is getting a pension now for a job he didnt work. You need to report this rather then tell us.
Because on paper he did work. His 25 years of bi-weekly paychecks were for a job he didn't work.

My lord some people are naive.

And I'm sure he's not the only one.

and pretty sure Chicago is not the only city.

For more info google 'ghost payroll' chicago

I knew a guy who used to own a strip joint and had a contract to plow snow for Chicago Public Schools yet didn't even own a truck. He was 'turned' in and got a whole year of probation. Coincidently he also visited the White House several times courtesy of Bubba and was his campaign rep.

Believe me Obama did not get where he is because of grades and or community organizing.

But when people are so ignorant they vote overwhelming for a congressman who hasn't worked in months, under several federal investigations there isn't much hope much more change left.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Because on paper he did work. His 25 years of bi-weekly paychecks were for a job he didn't work.

My lord some people are naive.

And I'm sure he's not the only one.

and pretty sure Chicago is not the only city.

For more info google 'ghost payroll' chicago

I knew a guy who used to own a strip joint and had a contract to plow snow for Chicago Public Schools yet didn't even own a truck. He was 'turned' in and got a whole year of probation. Coincidently he also visited the White House several times courtesy of Bubba and was his campaign rep.

Believe me Obama did not get where he is because of grades and or community organizing.

But when people are so ignorant they vote overwhelming for a congressman who hasn't worked in months, under several federal investigations there isn't much hope much more change left.
You seem to pal around with lots of criminals. Have you ever turned 1 in for scamming the government?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:28 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
You seem to pal around with lots of criminals. Have you ever turned 1 in for scamming the government?
Jesse Jr. is the latest.

But thanks for asking.

BTW My call actually screaming for the way public unions and their paid for government elected pawns have screwed the taxpayer have fallen on deaf ears,

So far?????
Old 11-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Keeneland

But when taxpayers make up less than 50% of the population my last post is moot.
Closed Thread