Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Randwyck

He needs to start firing his Asst. Trainers and hiring one's that keep track of what meds each horse is on and withdrawl time . I know Todd cant be at all his barns at once so the people he has running the show for him dont seem to be very competant. I know there have been times when I have screwed up and gave a horse something not knowing it was entered in a race and have went with my head hung low and told the boss right away , believe me I felt like an azz for not knowing the horse was in , but regardless I had to tell him and suffer the azz chewin. This man trains some of the best horses there are and his clients deserve the most able people too do the job , its pretty clear that the Asst. are not doing thier jobs . I mean how hard is it to say hey boss we treated that filly with penicillian cream for her cracked heals or whatever the case may be and we arent sure if she will clear do you want to have her urine tested to make sure. Its very simple to avoid a bad test if people are on top of things and honest.

Horses are like strawberries....they can go bad overnight. Charlie Whittingham
Old 12-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
Has Barry Irwin been quoted yet as saying that this was an accidental positive?
LOL.. Golf clap...
Old 12-05-2008, 01:32 PM
The Curragh

Not sure who he has on the west coast but TP has some extremely capable assistants.....His man Tristan, at Saratoga this past spring/summer/fall is very good...

http://www.playlist.com/playlist/15640118795/standalone
Old 12-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payson Dave
Not sure who he has on the west coast but TP has some extremely capable assistants.....His man Tristan, at Saratoga this past spring/summer/fall is very good...

They may very well be good horse trainers but with as many positives as this man gets there is alot of miscommunication going on somewhere. I think The Asst. would be the first place to look.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:54 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honu
They may very well be good horse trainers but with as many positives as this man gets there is alot of miscommunication going on somewhere. I think The Asst. would be the first place to look.

how many has he had in say the last three years????

Old 12-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Steve Byk

Ray Paulick indicates that the Pletcher stable believes Wait a While was treated with procaine G penicillin 18 days before the Breeders’ Cup for a resperatory infection.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
how many has he had in say the last three years????

I dont know dude but didnt he get an eclipse award 2 years ago after serving a suspension?

Old 12-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
He only uses trainers above reproach. That's why he's been sending a number of his SoCal horses to John Sadler.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Losing Benzel seems like it's had an effect on him, though. . .
Old 12-05-2008, 02:26 PM
The Curragh

Seth ...after a little bit of a slow start... is certainly now doing pretty well...

but.... I'm thinking that TP took the Training title at Saratoga this past meet and that was after Seth had gone on his own

Last edited by Payson Dave : 12-05-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
Let's go back to this point, Steve has stated that it is more to do with sloppiness and not cheating for this one particular incident.

The question for me is I have seen more than my share of "previously trained by" comments in the form and we all know he still has a pretty powerful stable. But he's lost quite a few owners, Melnyk for one. Which again the question to me is why? I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but I don't believe enough of the news media has made light of this. I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering what is happening here? If anything...

P.S For a time every owner it seemed was flocking to him, now they can't seem to get away fast enough.
He has lost several owners and some are using him less eclusively but without knowing the owners' reasons it's hard to pin it on one caus. Maybe those trainers who supported him when he started didn't like the vast increase in the size of his operation. Some may have preferred different assistant trainers and others may have chosen not to stay on as Todd's day rate increased. There are alot of reasons to move from one trainer to another.
I do think that Seth was a great assistant. He is methodical and has a head like an encyclopedia. I cannot imagine that losing him didn't hurt Todd. I don't know Tristan so I can't make any comparision but losing Seth couldn't have been good.

For a guy who's clients can't get away fast enough, he sure has alot of horses.

Last edited by Linny : 12-05-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:42 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Seth ...after a little bit of a slow start... is certainly now doing pretty well...

but.... I'm thinking that TP took the Training title at Saratoga this past meet and that was after Seth had gone on his own
Actually, Kiaran took the training title this past meet with 17 wins from 62 starts. Pletcher was second with 15 wins from 103 starts. Of the 12 trainers with the most wins, Pletcher had the second worst winning percentage (14.56%) only behind Contessa's dismal 7.5%.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:48 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315
Actually, Kiaran took the training title this past meet with 17 wins from 62 starts. Pletcher was second with 15 wins from 103 starts. Of the 12 trainers with the most wins, Pletcher had the second worst winning percentage (14.56%) only behind Contessa's dismal 7.5%.

my bad....you are correct.....

Last edited by Payson Dave : 12-05-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
Ray Paulick indicates that the Pletcher stable believes Wait a While was treated with procaine G penicillin 18 days before the Breeders’ Cup for a resperatory infection.
Very well could have been. That formulation is given intramuscularly, and it could have been slowly metabolized.

Wow. An antibiotic positive.

Snore.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 12-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat_man
The dude had some of the best clients around and was/is juicing. What else is there to say?

Any doubt he was juicing during his 'glory' period?

Another cheater.

How many violations has Pletcher had over his career?

Let's see - a mepivicaine positive in an amount so tiny, that the next year the amount of his "positive" became an allowable level.

And this antibiotic positive.

Please share what you have on Pletcher regarding his being a juicing cheater.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 12-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Keeneland

Someone just notified me privately of a story that could be breaking about Pletcher, from the Keeneland fall meet.

This person sez people are going back and looking at all available footage that could possibly shed some light.

This rumor, if true, would be a far bigger Pletcher story than a penicillin positive.

The rumor is ... that in the Keeneland paddock, during the fall meet, Pletcher wore a $200 five-fold silk tie ... in a double windsor knot!

Oh. My. Gawd.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:27 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
How many violations has Pletcher had over his career?

Let's see - a mepivicaine positive in an amount so tiny, that the next year the amount of his "positive" became an allowable level.

And this antibiotic positive.

Please share what you have on Pletcher regarding his being a juicing cheater.

Thanks...I was pretty sure TAP didn't have much of a rap sheet

Old 12-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Hialeah Park

and Michael Wrona thought he was being slandered by Bogey...
Old 12-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
probably the same saboteur who hit jones.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Pimlico

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsixfarms
With the new drug rules that the Breeders' Cup put in place earlier this year, if this finding is upheld, would it mean that Pletcher is ineligible to participate in next year's Breeders' Cup?
As reported in one of the Paulick Reports, the BC currently only has sanctions against trainers whose horses test positive for anabolic steroids -- no other substances -- per Pam Blatz-Murff, Sr. VP of Racing for the BC.

So, Pletcher's eligibility to participate in next year's BC should not be affected, assuming of course, that he has a horse that qualifies.