Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-14-2012, 03:28 PM
helicopter11

Default Wisdom from an animals rights activist

I am chatting with my friend on facebook and this is her response on why she hates horse racing:

"Horses are meant to be ridden and sometimes run fast but they should not race"
Old 07-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Dee Tee Stables

you sure you meant to say 'wisdom'??
Old 07-15-2012, 02:21 PM
helicopter11

At least they like to think its wisdom. If that statement represents thier intelligence and other people who follow it, I am going to side with the complete opposite.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:19 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopter11 View Post
I am chatting with my friend on facebook and this is her response on why she hates horse racing:

"Horses are meant to be ridden and sometimes run fast but they should not race"
Sigh. This is right up there with a commenter I got into a discussion with re: horse racing who insisted that pet ownership was TOTALLY different from animals in sports because she KNEW that her pet was getting something emotionally rewarding out of the relationship.

I responded that people keep pets for the same reason people race horses- it amuses the human half of the relationship. I got no reply.

(Obviously I don't think there's anything wrong with horse racing or pet ownership; it just drives me crackers when people criticize something they don't have an interest in while attempting to justify something morally equivalent because they do have an interest in that, so therefore it's totally different because shut up, that's why)
Old 07-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk View Post
Sigh. This is right up there with a commenter I got into a discussion with re: horse racing who insisted that pet ownership was TOTALLY different from animals in sports because she KNEW that her pet was getting something emotionally rewarding out of the relationship.

I responded that people keep pets for the same reason people race horses- it amuses the human half of the relationship. I got no reply.

(Obviously I don't think there's anything wrong with horse racing or pet ownership; it just drives me crackers when people criticize something they don't have an interest in while attempting to justify something morally equivalent because they do have an interest in that, so therefore it's totally different because shut up, that's why)
seriously??? lol
about as emotionally rewarding as living with a pack of dogs.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:21 PM
helicopter11

Lets pretend that trainers/owners are evil villains and that there only objective is to make money. Wouldnt it be in thier best "evil" intrest to have a healthy horse so it can keep racing and make them more money. A sick/dead horse is good for no one.