Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles View Post
OU is 9-3 and they are horrible? They weren't typical OU, but they were far from horrible. They lost to a very good Baylor team and a stinker to Tech. OSU destroyed them. The loss of Broyles really hurt them the last three games. Beating Texas in Austin handily is not easy even when they are down. For being horrible, they were ranked all year long until losing the last few.

Kansas St. is also very good. Undoubtedly they should be in the Sugar Bowl instead of Virginia Tech...that is a joke. The ACC is a joke when it comes to football these days, and I'm a Maryland fan.

You are easy to figure out though. Rather than try to figure out good wins by Alabama, you deflect. They had 1.5 decent wins...Arkansas and 1/2 for Penn St.
Penn St stinks also.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
Penn St stinks also.
I was trying to be reasonable and give them a half, but yes, they stink. Texas and OU would beat them.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Flemington

Quote:
I was trying to be reasonable and give them a half, but yes, they stink. Texas and OU would beat them.
I would agree with that also.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Havre de Grace

This ridiculous system has forced us to try and analyze losses. Is there a comparison between Oklahoma State's lone loss and Alabama's? Not really, Alabama's 3 pt loss to LSU stacks up much better than OSU's loss to Iowa State.

However, there were extenuating circumstances in place for OSU and their body of work in 2011 altogether was damn good. Alabama had an excellent season and struggled with no one on their schedule when victorious.

There have been many years where the results and the subsequent BCS decision made it abundantly clear that a new system is needed. This year is another example as both OSU and Alabama deserve a shot to play for a championship.

-Master of the obvious
Old 12-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
This ridiculous system has forced us to try and analyze losses. Is there a comparison between Oklahoma State's lone loss and Alabama's? Not really, Alabama's 3 pt loss to LSU stacks up much better than OSU's loss to Iowa State.

However, there were extenuating circumstances in place for OSU and their body of work in 2011 altogether was damn good. Alabama had an excellent season and struggled with no one on their schedule when victorious.

There have been many years where the results and the subsequent BCS decision made it abundantly clear that a new system is needed. This year is another example as both OSU and Alabama deserve a shot to play for a championship.

-Master of the obvious
Then what about a team like Wisconsin who lost twice on hail mary type plays/finishes. Dont they have a beef also, they want on to avenge one of there losses and win the Big Ten title.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Then what about a team like Wisconsin who lost twice on hail mary type plays/finishes. Dont they have a beef also, they want on to avenge one of there losses and win the Big Ten title.
no
Old 12-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Yup I get the emotional time for the school talk, I really do. They were still 31 point favorites. My point is this.... Whos loss is better Bama or OK ST? I dont even think there can be an argument to that question.
you aren't supposed to just consider the one loss. from what i've heard/read, ok st had a tougher overall schedule. they also played one game more than bama, and won a traditionally tough game that they lose far more often than they win. they really took it to okla the other night. voters are supposed to pay attention to the season-much like eclipse voters, they evidently only pay attention to a big matchup.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
OU is 9-3 and they are horrible? They weren't typical OU, but they were far from horrible. They lost to a very good Baylor team and a stinker to Tech. OSU destroyed them. The loss of Broyles really hurt them the last three games. Beating Texas in Austin handily is not easy even when they are down. For being horrible, they were ranked all year long until losing the last few.

Kansas St. is also very good. Undoubtedly they should be in the Sugar Bowl instead of Virginia Tech...that is a joke. The ACC is a joke when it comes to football these days, and I'm a Maryland fan.

You are easy to figure out though. Rather than try to figure out good wins by Alabama, you deflect. They had 1.5 decent wins...Arkansas and 1/2 for Penn St.

and then there's the fact that arkansas' only good win was vs south carolina.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:35 AM
Coach Pants

Alabama is the villain this year. Good. Explain how one conference can win 5 BCS championships in a row. Then ponder how Alabama can lose the majority of their offense from last year and still be so damn good.

You should be thankful Oklahoma State isn't playing LSU. NO SHOT. It would never happen. Just enjoy your game against so and so and stfu and watch the two best teams in CFB play in Nawlins.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:16 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
You should be thankful Oklahoma State isn't playing LSU. NO SHOT. It would never happen. Just enjoy your game against so and so and stfu and watch the two best teams in CFB play in Nawlins.
Already saw it, what I could stay awake through anyway.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:36 AM
Coach Pants

The cowpokes have a 40 year old quarterback that folded against a scrub school. They deserve no shot at a BCS championship.

Boring games can happen when you're dealing with two outstanding defenses. And lets be honest the Big 12 is lacking this year in a strong, CONSISTENT defensive team.

You can throw all the stats in existence but the fact remains OK State s.hit the bed against a peon. Good defenses don't lose to bottom dwellers with no history of success.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Dee Tee Stables

i didn't find the lsu/bama game boring at all. guess that's just me. but then, some people enjoy both offenses scoring back and forth, with 48/47 final scores an exciting game to them. not me. that game was a brutal battle from start to finish. might not have caused a lot of cheering throughout the game, but it was riveting.

as an aside regarding boise st..with them moving into the big east, with an auto bcs bid for the conference winner, will they still be complaining about the system when they go to the fiesta bowl??? doubt it.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
i didn't find the lsu/bama game boring at all. guess that's just me. but then, some people enjoy both offenses scoring back and forth, with 48/47 final scores an exciting game to them. not me. that game was a brutal battle from start to finish. might not have caused a lot of cheering throughout the game, but it was riveting.

as an aside regarding boise st..with them moving into the big east, with an auto bcs bid for the conference winner, will they still be complaining about the system when they go to the fiesta bowl??? doubt it.
The defenses are good, but the offenses are average at best. It isn't like only great defense kept the score down.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Coach Pants

Whenever there is an SEC school with a good offense the defense usually is forgotten. Florida, LSU and Bama had outstanding defenses for their recent past championship runs. You can say Auburn last year had a defense that would equal or better any Big 12 team.

I understand your points. The reality is a playoff system wouldn't make much difference. SEC is the premier conference and would perform extremely well in a 4 or 8 team playoff.

For now we're stuck with this annoying system where inferior programs like Boise State can b.itch and moan about life not being fair. Well that's a better option than a playoff system where they would be exposed.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
The defenses are good, but the offenses are average at best. It isn't like only great defense kept the score down.
i don't think our running game is average. reuben randle is a top receiver in the ncaa. i think at that game lee just collapsed-perhaps he knew by then he was about to be declared academically ineligible? at any rate, not a good day for him. so they turned to jefferson, who hadn't had a whole lot of playing time up to that point. i think we'll have a better showing this time around. jefferson is not a top qb, but he's adequate. i think tho that the rest of the offensive is better than average.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
Alabama is the villain this year. Good. Explain how one conference can win 5 BCS championships in a row. Then ponder how Alabama can lose the majority of their offense from last year and still be so damn good.

Kinda what I have been saying about OK St for 3 months now.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Flemington

Quote:
you aren't supposed to just consider the one loss. from what i've heard/read, ok st had a tougher overall schedule. they also played one game more than bama, and won a traditionally tough game that they lose far more often than they win. they really took it to okla the other night. voters are supposed to pay attention to the season-much like eclipse voters, they evidently only pay attention to a big matchup.
Im really not sure why everyone keeps talking about OK St schedule, basicley everyone sucked this year other then the SEC. Everyone was down. Back to the OK ST loss. I bet the game its in the upset special thread. I bet Iowa St. I saw every play. I get the tragedy the day before and its very sad, it was a great loss to the program. But OK St was a 31 point favorite. Even if they bring there C game, they are supposed to win. The QB had at least 3 interceptions, I was not impressed.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Im really not sure why everyone keeps talking about OK St schedule, basicley everyone sucked this year other then the SEC. Everyone was down. Back to the OK ST loss. I bet the game its in the upset special thread. I bet Iowa St. I saw every play. I get the tragedy the day before and its very sad, it was a great loss to the program. But OK St was a 31 point favorite. Even if they bring there C game, they are supposed to win. The QB had at least 3 interceptions, I was not impressed.
The tragedy wasn't the day before, they found out that morning. Who gives a **** if you bet it? You were dumb enough to bet OU against them.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Kinda what I have been saying about OK St for 3 months now.
Yes, because we all know the favorite wins every game in sports. Guess what, sometimes the best team doesn't even win...shocking I know.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
i don't think our running game is average. reuben randle is a top receiver in the ncaa. i think at that game lee just collapsed-perhaps he knew by then he was about to be declared academically ineligible? at any rate, not a good day for him. so they turned to jefferson, who hadn't had a whole lot of playing time up to that point. i think we'll have a better showing this time around. jefferson is not a top qb, but he's adequate. i think tho that the rest of the offensive is better than average.
Our? Which team do you play for? Please tell me you are at least an alum. Here in Oklahoma half the "fans" can't even find OU on a map.