Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-29-2008, 10:17 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_im_god
mort-

if i get a raise but i have to pay more for everything i buy as a result, did i really get a raise?

i'm not against establishing a minimum income for working people. i just think there's better ways of doing it. the earned income credit and welfare don't cause unemployment. the minimum wage does.

but screw it. we both need to stop this.

i'm enjoying your work elsewhere too much.
OK...I just see it as those people getting more in the net run. I'm not at all sure how many min. wage earners there are who are beyond high school.

Too kind..but I feel my work has dribbled off to almost nothing anymore.

I call this a draw...or a win for you. I'm not sure.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer
OK...I just see it as those people getting more in the net run. I'm not at all sure how many min. wage earners there are who are beyond high school.

Too kind..but I feel my work has dribbled off to almost nothing anymore.

I call this a draw...or a win for you. I'm not sure.
look. i essentially wound up agreeing with toast. there were no winners here.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
look. i essentially wound up agreeing with toast. there were no winners here.

You

thud
Old 10-29-2008, 11:41 PM
Flemington

Quote:
i'm not hard headed or hearted. but i think the idea a minimum wage helps the poor is flawed.

I think if you use common sense you would see that what would happen is the exact opposite of what was described early in the thread. Working single mothers would lose jobs to teenagers that would work for much less(because they often have less expenses.)The end result of killing the minimum wage is that teenagers, who often are only looking for supplemental income to pay for cars, parties, etc. take work away from those who are trying to pay the rent or support a family. Face the facts, we have guys getting women pregnant, and moving on to the next woman that craves a badboy. Do you really want to skimp on the salary of the one person in charge of raising that child? Your only shot at avoiding a punk being raised lies with her. I think we can agree if she starts on welfare, then she'll probably have another kid. I also think part of a country's overall reputation around the world lies in how it's worst off live. People want to live here. They want to travel here. Sure, we could treat people like they did at the end of the 19th century(your "market" crap that doesn't work..it's been tried.) Most of the stuff that Conservatives or cheap Independent types want to do have been tried, and they caused poverty. We can do it again, and you'll get the same results. Believe it or not, these things came about as a solution to a problem. What you want to do is try something that has been proven to create poverty(market driven stuff.) That abuse of workers at the end of the 19th century etc. was exactly what you would like to do. Fortunately others don't want to create that poverty. You think you want just 2 classes, but I doubt you would find it as great as you think. Try Haiti etc.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:04 AM
Flemington

I don't see how doing away with the minimum wage would do anything but turn us into the type of countries that you say companies leave to go to. You really want to become Mexico etc? So classy!! Can't wait.As far as the EITC goes, it's adjusted for inflation, and the minimum wage isn't. They compliment each other. As far as your complaint about small businesses not being able to afford it etc., I think much larger tax break incentives need to be involved in the situation you're talking about 8-10 low paid employees. The minimum wage is necessary. We need to be more creative in helping the smaller businesses afford it.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:19 AM
Flemington

If you want a success story using slightly increased salaries for "manual" labor, try the hamburger chain most of us like a lot out here(IN-N-OUT.) They get high quality from their employees.That work is considered unskilled, but try the food at Jack n the box. O.K.? It may be unskilled, but it's important that it be done right. They pay a little more, but the increased results they get are due to that increase in pay. If you don't believe me, wait until they get taken over, and reduce their pay. Their prices aren't more than places that pay their employees less. That's because they are at least twice as busy, because their employees are putting out better food.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:21 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer
Uh..OK.

But nothing is ever going to solve to 100%.

I don't know if I buy the theory. All competitors would have to pay the same and that would reflect in selling price.

I think a place would have to be in the throes to go belly up with a MW increase.

So I do can't help but to think it's good.
so, wages go up, which means cost of living increases, which means the min wage wouldn't be high enough.
i agree, the EIC helps where min wage may not. no one gets laid off because of the EIC-because it doesn't affect the bottom line of a small employer.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:24 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
I think if you use common sense you would see that what would happen is the exact opposite of what was described early in the thread. Working single mothers would lose jobs to teenagers that would work for much less(because they often have less expenses.)The end result of killing the minimum wage is that teenagers, who often are only looking for supplemental income to pay for cars, parties, etc. take work away from those who are trying to pay the rent or support a family. Face the facts, we have guys getting women pregnant, and moving on to the next woman that craves a badboy. Do you really want to skimp on the salary of the one person in charge of raising that child? Your only shot at avoiding a punk being raised lies with her. I think we can agree if she starts on welfare, then she'll probably have another kid. I also think part of a country's overall reputation around the world lies in how it's worst off live. People want to live here. They want to travel here. Sure, we could treat people like they did at the end of the 19th century(your "market" crap that doesn't work..it's been tried.) Most of the stuff that Conservatives or cheap Independent types want to do have been tried, and they caused poverty. We can do it again, and you'll get the same results. Believe it or not, these things came about as a solution to a problem. What you want to do is try something that has been proven to create poverty(market driven stuff.) That abuse of workers at the end of the 19th century etc. was exactly what you would like to do. Fortunately others don't want to create that poverty. You think you want just 2 classes, but I doubt you would find it as great as you think. Try Haiti etc.
and i believe that the poor here have a pretty high standard of living, esp compared to the poor in other countries.
most poor have a car, tvs, etc. there isn't anyone starving here, is there? unless it's someone who is clinically insane and living on the street-who refuses to get help, or really is incapable of seeking help.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:59 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
so, wages go up, which means cost of living increases, which means the min wage wouldn't be high enough.
i agree, the EIC helps where min wage may not. no one gets laid off because of the EIC-because it doesn't affect the bottom line of a small employer.
look who picks up the bill for the costs of increasing eic
Old 10-30-2008, 11:52 AM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig

I don't really think it's that one for one-ish.

The min. wage has been around for a loooong time now.Up until just a iddy biddy ago the country seems to have survived this poisoning effect on the economy.Really---if you read your tripe and the tripe supplied by others,the min. wage should have bankrupt us 20 years ago.

Now I know the last min. wage increase has caused this financial crisis we now face----but I think it's just one a them things.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Thistley Downs

I think it's those maximum wage earners that may be the ones to watch out for.

They are sneaky mothah fucl<ahs.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:12 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MinsToPost
Raising the minimium wage to $9.50 an hour really help this country out?
It's to help the poorer out.

The maximum wage earners are the ones who will help the country out.They are good to the bone nice people.

OK?

Dannie?....simple?
Old 10-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Thistley Downs

MOTHAH FUCl<AH...I mean..FACT:The last MW increase caused 70% of all companies to go out of business .

MO...FACT: Over NINETY % of all MW earners had to file bankruptcy over that same increase .

FACT:Congress is now trying to destroy the MW. It's the only sure fire way to end this current financial crisis .

GODDAMMITY!
Old 10-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Thistley Downs

Well they better do something fast. This current Minimum Wage Crisis is killing this country...and I want something done about it!!

Old 10-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Thistley Downs

SportyFans Let me give you an example...OK?

Rita Smith live in PoorTown.She just took a job as a drive thru perthon at the Mickey's in RichTown. Why? Because her husband lost his job due to Max.Wage Earner tomfoolery and PoorTown doesn't have a Mickey's. Why? Because poor people can't afford Mickey's.OK?

Now Muffy Chippy pulls up to the drive thru in her GIANT size Hummery-Poo.She has her 4 kid rug destruction team with her.Rita gives Muffy her order.....10 BigMac's ,10 large fries and 10 chocolate shakes. The Chippy's love their lunchy-poo.

And now Muffy starts her act. THIS IS COLD!! TAKE THIS CHEESE OFF THIS BIG MAC!! I SAID DOUBLE WIDE FRIES!!! YOU STUPID BITCH!!! Muffy then starts throwing food at Rita...and then peels out of the drive thru leaving 80 feet of Skids Mothers marks.

So...Rita is kinda stressed...but feels good in that she is getting a min. wage increase. She knows the store may have to raise prices, but she's OK with that because they are too poor to eat out.

She knows people like Muffy will be paying all the freight.

This make her smile.

Last edited by Mortimer : 10-30-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:58 PM
Thistley Downs

It's funny how people who are not down at the MW level know AAAAAALL about the evil havoc it sends through out hour economy.

Really...let them have their MW increases..and their eic's.

Stop acting like pigs.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Thistley Downs

YODDLE-AYE-TEE-HEE!

WELL DID YOU EVAH!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Jao...eature=related
Old 10-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Thistley Downs

I think the solution to this mobius strip like beast is this:

The MW shall continue,but if you elect to take the next increase...you will be shot.

I think that option should be there for the vermin.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Thistley Downs

HEY!!.......I just got an MW increase!!

Oh FUCl<!!!

I'M RUINED!!
Old 10-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Thistley Downs

MW is the reason we saw huge increases in gasoline this year.

Natural gas hikes-----MW caused them.

RYE BREAD!!

EAUXH!!

I hate when that happens!!

MW...