Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-09-2022, 05:32 PM
Jerome Park

Mike Wilbon took a shot at horse racing? I'm shocked.

He hates racing.
Old 05-09-2022, 05:35 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post

He hates racing.
We disagree again!

He DESPISES racing.

On the rare occasion he talks about it.

He's uniformed, short sighted and totally ARROGANT.

Like me
Old 05-09-2022, 06:42 PM
Detroit Race Course

Forget thr Preakness, the real money is in a match race with Firenze Fire, 9 furlongs, no holds barred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogW_eXSLyGA
Old 05-09-2022, 06:45 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
Forget thr Preakness, the real money is in a match race with Firenze Fire, 9 furlongs, no holds barred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogW_eXSLyGA
Have to cage in the entire track.

Loser shaves his head and must leave town!
Old 05-09-2022, 07:59 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post

He hates racing.
I just watched it. I’m Not sure what show Vic watched but he didn’t really take a shot at anything. He said he’s not into racing and fell asleep before the race.

Kornheiser loves the Derby and talked briefly about the winner. Then they talked about Rich Strike biting the pony and the outrider doing what he had to do try and keep Rich Strike off the lead pony. True, they both jokingly wondered if it was normal for a horse to try and eat another horse.

At no point did anyone say what Blasi did was wrong and neither of the hosts criticized what he did.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:03 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
I just watched it. I’m Not sure what show Vic watched but he didn’t really take a shot at anything. He said he’s not into racing and fell asleep before the race.

Kornheiser loves the Derby and talked briefly about the winner. Then they talked about Rich Strike biting the pony and the outrider doing what he had to do try and keep Rich Strike off the lead pony. True, they both jokingly wondered if it was normal for a horse to try and eat another horse.

At no point did anyone say what Blasi did was wrong and neither of the hosts criticized what he did.
Kornheiser closed his fist and punched down three times. Saying he'd never seen anyone punch a horse.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:09 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Kornheiser closed his fist and punched down three times. Saying he'd never seen anyone punch a horse.
And…..

He didn’t criticize what was done. They were laughing about it.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:12 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
And…..

He didn’t criticize what was done. They were laughing about it.
Not the way it came across to me.

Plus laughing about a guy hitting a horse with a closed fist can't be good either.

I thought you were on the side that what the outrider did was bad?
Old 05-09-2022, 08:19 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Not the way it came across to me.

Plus laughing about a guy hitting a horse with a closed fist can't be good either.

I thought you were on the side that what the outrider did was bad?
Well you have a habit of needing to justify your opinions. You’re trying to do that here but I actually watched the show and you’re being misleading at best.

Not sure why you’d think I was on any side. I said the optics were bad (they were) and that the sport missed an opportunity to educate. Honestly, I’ve seen very little backlash about what happened outside of this thread. The entire thing is much ado about nothing and distracts from the race.

I’ve seen more chatter about a dumb tweet Eric Reed made months ago than this.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:22 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post
I think fans and people in the industry are too sensitive to the “image” that is portrayed of horse racing. I don’t think this situation is a big deal to 90% of people. I’m not sure how many people even noticed. The casual gambler has already moved on. I know quite a few people who are animal lovers. I haven’t heard anything from them. People within the industry seem to be making more of a fuss about this than anyone else.

That’s not to say the industry shouldn’t want a positive public image, but I think it would be more productive to focus on aftercare and getting harmful drugs out of the sport and other things of that sort. One guy getting rough with a horse is explainable. An industry basically failing to protect horses and care for them after their racing careers is something that can’t really be explained or defended.

Yes, the sport doesn’t need negative press. But the reason it can’t handle negative press is because it’s failed to take care of the big stuff that remain a black eye on the sport. Hopefully we are headed in the right direction with that though.
This was a great post by the way. Spot on
Old 05-09-2022, 08:23 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Well you have a habit of needing to justify your opinions. You’re trying to do that here but I actually watched the show and you’re being misleading at best.

Not sure why you’d think I was on any side. I said the optics were bad (they were) and that the sport missed an opportunity to educate. Honestly, I’ve seen very little backlash about what happened outside of this thread. The entire thing is much ado about nothing and distracts from the race.

I’ve seen more chatter about a dumb tweet Eric Reed made months ago than this.
I've seen quite a bit of conversation about the incident. Running about 4-1 against the outrider.

I feel bad for the guy. I've never heard anything but great things about him. I rode horses for his wife when I was an agent.

I'll never come off my opinion that irregardless of the situation he was mistaken to take the action he did.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:33 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
I've seen quite a bit of conversation about the incident. Running about 4-1 against the outrider.

I feel bad for the guy. I've never heard anything but great things about him. I rode horses for his wife when I was an agent.

I'll never come off my opinion that irregardless of the situation he was mistaken to take the action he did.
"People are saying"
Old 05-09-2022, 08:59 PM
Keeneland

Quote:

That much is obvious.

You’re entitled to your opinion. Just like people are free to disagree.

My only point was I felt you were playing fast and loose with what was actually said, in an effort to bolster “your side.”
Old 05-09-2022, 09:07 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
That much is obvious.

You’re entitled to your opinion. Just like people are free to disagree.

My only point was I felt you were playing fast and loose with what was actually said, in an effort to bolster “your side.”
Andy agreed with me that Wilbon HATES horse racing.

Over the years I've heard him say a myriad of ignorant, insensitive things.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:15 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Andy agreed with me that Wilbon HATES horse racing.

Over the years I've heard him say a myriad of ignorant, insensitive things.
What does any of that have to do with what was said today?

What did Wilbon say TODAY that was anti racing or about this topic other than is it normal for one horse to try and eat another horse?
Old 05-09-2022, 09:16 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
What does any of that have to do with what was said today?

What did Wilbon say TODAY that was anti racing or about this topic other than is it normal for one horse to try and eat another horse?
I was more disappointed by Kornheiser today than Wilbon.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:24 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
I was more disappointed by Kornheiser today than Wilbon.
That’s fine.

I saw nothing wrong with the segment and appreciated Kornheiser saying he loves the Derby.

We can agree to disagree
Old 05-10-2022, 06:24 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:

If I recall correctly, you once said you’ve never said anything good or bad about Bob Baffert. But you’ve now spent three days blasting an outrider at Churchill Downs.

Kind of bizarre, imo.
Old 05-10-2022, 06:27 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
If I recall correctly, you once said you’ve never said anything good or bad about Bob Baffert. But you’ve now spent three days blasting an outrider at Churchill Downs.

Kind of bizarre, imo.
And yet...

"I feel bad for the guy. I've never heard anything but great things about him."
Old 05-10-2022, 07:13 AM
v j stauffer

Quote:

Kind of bizarre, imo.
Ok. Sounds good.