Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
In light of some recent predictions on this board I felt it was time for an intervention. I have started this room to help those that can't get out of their own way stumbling to the typewriter or window in order to predict the imminent victory of overbet favorites.

Repeat after me....I am ______________ and I am a chalk-eater.
I am Dalakhani and I am a chalk eater.

It usually happens after a day of taking losing shots and I need an "easy" win to get my money back. I load up on an "unbeatable" favorite at some dog track like Penn National, Retama, or charlestown. Usually its a Scott lake or Cody Autrey or some other "super" trainer's horse.

I know this is just the beginning but i feel that it is a good first step.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:39 AM
Newmarket

My name is Jim, and it's been 72 hours since I last played a chalk.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:39 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
I think you know you would have met your match...it was probably a smart move on your part not to let me embarrass you - with the ladies and with the betting

I missed this the first time! LMFAO!!!!!!!!

" With the ladies "????????????????/ OMG! Are you for real?????????

I gotta thank you, dude, you are one gigantic and unending source of entertainment.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
The bottomline is that guys like Andy can come on here and attempt to down people while never ever providing any real substance or value of any kind to the website - but they themselves cannot back up any claims with facts.

I was just trying to end the e-jargon and e-specualtion by telling Andy that I will prove to him whenever he wants that I can out-play him and I will match my BC winning with his, etc...anything.....

It is merely about having accountability and not just running your mouth (or keyboard) all of the time...

I put my money where my mouth is....he was too scared to when provided th opportunity....now THAT is lack of credability in my eyes..
Please, on handicapping and credibilty you'd be smoked not only by Andy, but several others on this board alone.

But I will say this, in the category of most unintentionally funny posts, you are running circles around everyone.

Please keep up the good work.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:24 AM
Hawthorne

Chalk or no chalk. Doesn't matter. Winners are all that matters. If a chalk wins he is a good bet.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:27 AM
The Curragh

Chalks rarely win and you get almost no profit
Old 11-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Hollywood Park

Default Nothing to be ashamed of

I from time to time am guilty of playing chalks.
That said, for example, today at CD race 1
$100 win on the 8
$80 exacta 8-4 and $20 exacta 4-8 equates to net profit of $390 plus.
When it works it is nice.

However, when it doesn't you feel like ****

Bottom line, chalks do win about 30-33% of the time and if you can isolate a chalk with another horse for an exacta or daily double it can get you some $$$.

psh
Old 11-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSH
I from time to time am guilty of playing chalks.
That said, for example, today at CD race 1
$100 win on the 8
$80 exacta 8-4 and $20 exacta 4-8 equates to net profit of $390 plus.
When it works it is nice.

However, when it doesn't you feel like ****

Bottom line, chalks do win about 30-33% of the time and if you can isolate a chalk with another horse for an exacta or daily double it can get you some $$$.

psh
i also bet that chalk. on another thead i called him a near sure thing.
had a big win bet and pk3 and 4's where we can hopefully catch a value horse.

i don't often bet an even money horse, but on this one i thought it was a gift.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:05 PM
The Curragh

chalk, isn't that what Teachers use in the classroom?

I am in the process of setting it up -

BTW vs Cunningham in a Steel Cage Match in the infield at Churchill Downs during Derby Week 2007. Details forthcoming in the following months
Old 11-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Sunshine Park

My user name is Banter, and I have eaten chalk.

During the past year, 2006, I have been a follower of chalk trainers and have lost money.

Hey! I still have the Excel charts to prove that betting the chalk trainers, namely Pletcher, Rigatierri, Wolfendale, Morey, Vaders, Trombetta, Clark, Ziadie, Hollendorfer, Beattie (both Todd and Stephanie), Autrey, etc., will lose money in the long run. Less than a 30% win rate, 60% ITM--at the chalk rates those trainers get at the window--wil garner selective returns but wil not pull an overall profit in this game.

Only Catalano, Miyadi, and Klesaris--largely claining trainers with win rates above 30% and 60% ITM--have posted nominally positive ROIs for 2006. No wonder I was a heavy backer of Catalano's Dreaming Of Anna in the BC. That trainer has proven himself over the long haul (I would like to cast my vote for Catalano for Trainer of the Year). I would be happy to see Miyadi and Klesaris have similar opportunities in the BC. But that's a subject for another thread.

I have been sober from betting chalk since Siphon City. He posted an ultra-commanding win in the Prairie Meadows BC (of course I was not on him in that one) and tanked thereafter (of course I was on him in those).

After SC's loss in FL I stopped betting chalk, either by horse or trainer.

For the record, I had four of nine winners on BC day (the crowd was such that I couldn't make my way into Churchill Downs in time for the first race)--It's No Joke, Dreaming Of Anna, Miesque's Approval, and Invasor. None of those were first favorite in their respective races, but even with MA I did well to break even.

I will say this--as a former chalkeater, sometimes it's all I can do to resist the temptation to bet chalk.

So I should ask: What's the 12-step program to help chalkeaters resist?

Last edited by banter : 11-11-2006 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:43 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MinsToPost
chalk, isn't that what Teachers use in the classroom?

I am in the process of setting it up -

BTW vs Cunningham in a Steel Cage Match in the infield at Churchill Downs during Derby Week 2007. Details forthcoming in the following months
I am on the undercard against BALLETO...GPK can watch...
Old 11-11-2006, 09:48 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
I am on the undercard against BALLETO...GPK can watch...

GFY....

and F chalk...I hate chalk...
Old 11-11-2006, 09:52 PM
5'8".. but all man!

*public service announcement....THE TERROR OF TAMPA WILL NOT BE GIVING OUT CHALK AS PICKS

T3B
Old 11-11-2006, 10:16 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
I'm relatively new to this site, so I ask:

Why is Joel a d-ck?
Quack, quack....

Actually, I'm a human, but I like to duck hunt......Aflaaaaaaaaaaccc
Old 11-12-2006, 06:55 AM
Dixie Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
Joel..

You have a lot to offer everyone here with your background around the game and your zeal for racing is second to none... But with all due respect, you can work at this for the next two decades and will be hard-pressed to approach Andy Serling's record of success as a full time professional gambler or garner the respect he has earned as a public handicapper at Saratoga for years on end at the Siro's Seminars and in and around NYC as a Paddock Club guest at AQU and BEL.

On a daily basis during SAR, his opinion is out there for the public to judge and appreciate, and few if any of the public cappers can match his long-standing performance record for putting people on winners of all prices. He's a contemporary and equal of the most well-respected and admired handicapping minds in horse playing, and frankly, his insights and credentials are well above being questioned by anyone who isn't playing horses as a sole source of income.
Why does a guy who makes a ton of money gambling (if it were true) EVER let it be known.

My friend Steve, there is NO answer for the above question. Does he have a KG stamp with IRS and does he file?

Whether you choose to believe it or not I know 7 people over my lifetime(myself included) who have made well over a Mil. gambling. All of us have turned ourselves inside out to remain undiscovered and annonymous.

The above endorsement of your friend WREAKS from something written on a child's blackboard.

Why does this "mutt" continually have to be stroked? BIG MONEY and a LAVISH lifestlye is all one really needs as a reward for winning. Why BEG for boquets from a bunch of kids and fools on an internet site who are more than likely still shooting for their first hundred grand.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:00 AM
Dixie Porter

Quote:
I put my money where my mouth is....he was too scared to when provided th opportunity....now THAT is lack of credability in my eyes..
I do not know if this is true, but if I were betting I'd bet TRUE.

If it is not a problem I would like you to post the actual story.

This guy has gotten under my skin..........
Old 11-12-2006, 07:26 AM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
joel what i say on this thread is in jest..but think aboutwhat you have said..empty your wallets on a obvious no odds horse...how does that make one iota of lodgic as a player.....steve puts out his picks as a public service.....a player who is gambleing for a living would never put out a play he would play himself..its just bad business....
Bad business?..Is that a joke? I guess its because we will affect the odds so drastically that it would hurt his living

...I asked for ONE horse...just one to share among DTers...thats all....

Honestly, I don't want the horse nor do I need it....the whole point is how can somebody come on here and bash others for giving out horses and proclaim themself as a premier handicapper in the country while bashing everyobe else's handicapping analysis - and then fail to provide any analysis or selections themself???

Its total hypocracy.....I'm sure Andy is a great handicapper...I wouldn't know though because he only likes to bash other's angles....
Old 11-12-2006, 07:27 AM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
I missed this the first time! LMFAO!!!!!!!!

" With the ladies "????????????????/ OMG! Are you for real?????????

I gotta thank you, dude, you are one gigantic and unending source of entertainment.
Well, at least you have a decent enough sense of humor to sense an e-joke.....thats a helluva talent
Old 11-12-2006, 09:42 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:
Bad business?..Is that a joke? I guess its because we will affect the odds so drastically that it would hurt his living

...I asked for ONE horse...just one to share among DTers...thats all....

Honestly, I don't want the horse nor do I need it....the whole point is how can somebody come on here and bash others for giving out horses and proclaim themself as a premier handicapper in the country while bashing everyobe else's handicapping analysis - and then fail to provide any analysis or selections themself???

Its total hypocracy.....I'm sure Andy is a great handicapper...I wouldn't know though because he only likes to bash other's angles....
yes it is...lets saythe horse is in a 25k claimer on a week day ..40k in the win pool..this said horse could be 9-1 if he tells two people and they tell two...ect....next thing ya know your getting 8/5..instead of 9-1.....thats bad business..get it..thats all im saying..
Old 11-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Porter

Why does this "mutt" continually have to be stroked? BIG MONEY and a LAVISH lifestlye is all one really needs as a reward for winning. Why BEG for boquets from a bunch of kids and fools on an internet site who are more than likely still shooting for their first hundred grand.

Great to see you at the meeting Dicksie! Admitting your problem, and oh you've got a big one, is a GREAT first step.

Now, repeat after me....I Dixie Porter, mythomaniac, am a chalk eater.

Go on, buddy, you can do it.