Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Randwyck

People say that they want to see good horses, that the 70's was the golden era and why can't we get those types again. Yet, when a horse with enormous and still untapped ability emerges, who may yet (if he runs as an older horse) join the ranks of the truly great, people are unhappy. I conclude, therefore, that people do not really want to see great horses; they want to see their own favorites become great, but if a horse that they don't particularly identify with shows that kind of quality, forget about it. The sour grapes start to appear.

I was at the track today (Bernardini looked gorgeous as always - he pranced to the post, neck arched.........spectacular) and one girl who always seemed to be where I was said "I'm still not impressed". I figure she must post on message boards.

Frankly, the 2nd through 4th quarters were pretty stiff - 23 and change for each, I believe. Bernardini was routinely brilliant- Wandering Boy ran well and Bernardini just romped
Old 10-07-2006, 07:26 PM
Tropical Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy
People say that they want to see good horses, that the 70's was the golden era and why can't we get those types again. Yet, when a horse with enormous and still untapped ability emerges, who may yet (if he runs as an older horse) join the ranks of the truly great, people are unhappy. I conclude, therefore, that people do not really want to see great horses; they want to see their own favorites become great, but if a horse that they don't particularly identify with shows that kind of quality, forget about it. The sour grapes start to appear.

I was at the track today (Bernardini looked gorgeous as always - he pranced to the post, neck arched.........spectacular) and one girl who always seemed to be where I was said "I'm still not impressed". I figure she must post on message boards.

Frankly, the 2nd through 4th quarters were pretty stiff - 23 and change for each, I believe. Bernardini was routinely brilliant- Wandering Boy ran well and Bernardini just romped
It was a decent performance. The mid fractions were solid but they were coming off some really slow initial fractions. And he didn't come home in anything riveting.

There's no way Bernardini would have beaten Ghostzapper in the BC Classic. No way. Or St. Liam, or Roses in May. He has an easy chance to do it compared with what other 3 year olds have faced in the Classic. He's been very lucky.

That might change soon depending on what Romans does with Bright One. Or the sheiks do with Discreet Cat.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Let LM get away with 25 and he would bury them, that was a rediculous pace and that track was very fast...
Old 10-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by todko
Ghostzapper was faster than Bernardini will ever be. And that was just two years ago. Horses as good as Bernardini have come along quite often.
Well, Ghostzapper was very nice. No debate.
Actually, I wouldn't try to consider the two of them.
Different races, different times.
Bernardini wasn't even "asked" today.
Watch the replay.
He won for fun. No wonder so many have ducked him.
If you don't know what a great horse looks like, there's really no more that I can say. But what do I know? I've only followed this sport since the duels between Affirmed and Alydar. I own nine. Four with Alydar in their peds, three with Deputy Minister, and one with Secretariat.
Discount what I say all you want.
I'll just say that Bernardini's don't come along that often.
Enjoy his efforts or not. Not much more I can say.
DTS
Old 10-07-2006, 07:55 PM
stpeteslew

congratulations to bernardini on the first walkover at belmont since spectacular bid in 1980.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Tropical Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteslew
congratulations to bernardini on the first walkover at belmont since spectacular bid in 1980.
Exactly. Maybe next time they'll pull some carriage horses from downtown NY. You know, the horses that pull the tourists around. He'll, they're older horses. Put them in the gate and let Bernardini maul them.

And then everyone can chant the Bernardini mantra. "He's so great -- he came home in a hand ride".

If you're a big Bernardini booster enjoy the next few weeks . . . because November 4th the hype ends.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:15 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointg5
Let LM get away with 25 and he would bury them, that was a rediculous pace and that track was very fast...
Belmont was NOT that fast today ,not at all. Also, the middle 3 fractions were very fast - all 23 and change.

Todko, that horse was cantering and he finished in 25 and change. If he had been asked at all, he would have finished well under that time. Slow internal fractions? See above- not slow at all.

I hope you have a lot of friends who feel as you do; we may get a decent price on Bernardini in the BCC
Old 10-07-2006, 08:21 PM
ezrabrooks

Quote:
Exactly. Maybe next time they'll pull some carriage horses from downtown NY. You know, the horses that pull the tourists around. He'll, they're older horses. Put them in the gate and let Bernardini maul them.

And then everyone can chant the Bernardini mantra. "He's so great -- he came home in a hand ride".

If you're a big Bernardini booster enjoy the next few weeks . . . because November 4th the hype ends.
So Toddy, I guess you are saying that Javier will not be checking over his shoulder at the top of the stretch at the BC?

Ez
Old 10-07-2006, 08:22 PM
Tropical Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy
Belmont was NOT that fast today ,not at all. Also, the middle 3 fractions were very fast - all 23 and change.

Todko, that horse was cantering and he finished in 25 and change. If he had been asked at all, he would have finished well under that time. Slow internal fractions? See above- not slow at all.

I hope you have a lot of friends who feel as you do; we may get a decent price on Bernardini in the BCC
No Betsy, I'll get the price on the horse that beats Bernardini.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Santa Anita

He's been very lucky. I wish him well but I'd like to see him in some real races.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Sha Tin

I never understand why people downgrade a horse based upon his competition. The horse is only running against who shows up and he keeps hammering them. What more do you want him to do? Since his 1st race he has been winning pretty much throttled down. Not like he is winning allowance races. Does not matter who he beats if there isn't anyone out there that measures up to him. Should they try to win the race by 30 lengths? Maybe he is one of the all time greats and maybe he is not. But so far you will have a hard time convincing me that he couldn't beat St. Liam or Roses in May. He may not win eased up against better horses but to say that he would not have been competitive with decent but far from great horses like the 2 mentioned above is kind of silly.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:28 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitas
He's been very lucky. I wish him well but I'd like to see him in some real races.

Like what, the Pomona Derby or Longacres mile? He picked the biggest races and crushed the ones that showed up. He aint lucky, he's good.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:

Oh yeah? Who do you think will end that hype? Is Ghostzapper secretly training up to the race?
Old 10-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Keeneland

Congrats to Bernardini and his connections.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:35 PM
stpeteslew

for the record i dont hate bernardini.i support anything associated with seattle slew and ap indy.honestly if he was owned by someone other than sheik mohamhead i probably feel different.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Suffolk Downs

One word - Officer
Old 10-07-2006, 08:40 PM
The Curragh

In my humble opinion

With Lava having 3 weeks to get right at CD, look for a battle of the ages as the folks in charge will not let this one slip by.

Trevor's call -

Lava by a nose, Lava pulls away and it's Lava
Old 10-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointg5
Umm, he won, but what exactly was freaky about that performance?

That was an awful race, they went 25 and change, he's a very nice horse, but that was hardly anything to get excited about. DT did not run a step, AH is an allowance horse, and Wandering Boy is a nice G3 horse, you knew the race was over when the jock for WB looked back to make sure he could still run 2nd. He's the best horse in training, but he's not going to know what hit him, when they go faster and they trade blows on him...

Henny, Aussie Rules, and Lava Man were all more impressive, especially HH...

25 change.. yes, then went a half in :48 flat, 3/4 in 1:11 and a mile in 1:35.4... Bernardini was hand ridden the whole way and still coasted home in 2:01 flat.. Nice run.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:18 PM
PostCritic

Bernardini crushed Brother Derek when they met. I think he could have taken on Lava Man today
Old 10-07-2006, 09:20 PM
Jerome Park

Weren't there some posters, myself not particularly included, that seemed to think Bluegrass Cat was a very good horse? Bernardini laughed at him.

Believe me, I wish there was better competition for Bernardini, but he certainly seems to be winning with the utmost of ease against these less than stellar fields. No doubt it's unfortunate that Invasor didn't show up today, and/or there wasn't a tougher field in the JCGC, but I can't fault Bernardini. He's at least a very good horse and sorry if I don't agree with the poster who feels he's inferior to both Roses in May and Saint Liam. I think he is a better horse than both of them. Plus he has a different vet than the one they shared.