Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Santa Anita

grand so.. you want him back in the states facing nothing with his whole year geared towards the most "over-hyped, arrogance driven" product in horse racing.

#Grand
Old 02-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy
grand so.. you want him back in the states facing nothing with his whole year geared towards the most "over-hyped, arrogance driven" product in horse racing.
Just what exactly is he facing in the sandpit?

And really if there wasn't a Breeders Cup and Dubai World Cup and instead was a system in place that awarded number of wins (wow what a ****ing concept) then chances are he would be facing some decent stock.

But wtf do I know? It's obvious the majority want these two overhyped sissy events.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Santa Anita

the main guys are probably
asiatic boy - unbeaten in dubai
latency - 7 times G1 winner
happy boy - maktoum round 1 winner
vermillion - Japan Cup Dirt winner last year triple G1 winner.
literato - your token euro turfer albeit G1 winner

I think you have to have a few signature races during the year. Plus by putting in some substantial purse increases, they are slowly but surely trying (at least) to keep more of the bigger names in the game for longer. Do you not like the idea of the best horses around the globe competing in a country outside the US?

#Grand
Old 02-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:

I think you have to have a few signature races during the year. Plus by putting in some substantial purse increases, they are slowly but surely trying (at least) to keep more of the bigger names in the game for longer. Do you not like the idea of the best horses around the globe competing in a country outside the US?
The point is that it would be nice if the entire handicap divison in the United States did not completely revolve around only two races each year with everything else (including little races like the JCGC) being considered only as some sort of "prep." As for increasing purse sizes to keep the big horses running.....how is that working out so far?

I hate the DWC......almost as much as I hate the BC.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Santa Anita

well how many races do you think it should revolve around? throw in the Travers (EDIT.. confusing myself.. something like the Whitney!!) in the summer and you have 3 big races to aim for during the year... I dont think we'll be seeing the days of horses racing 10+ times at G1 level again..

Dubai just announced a big increase to its turf races for this year, the Arc did the same. Things in this game change slowly.. for example with Filly and Mares over in Europe, after their 3yo season, there was very little for them to acheive. They either retired or went to the states. Europe invested money and put on more Graded races for older fillies and mares and have reaped the rewards but it did take a few years for it to happen..

#Grand
Old 02-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:

I wouldn't have a problem with an international race being held in a country that allows gambling, boozing, and strongly enforces and prosecutes men striking women in public.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Things in this game change slowly.. for example with Filly and Mares over in Europe, after their 3yo season, there was very little for them to acheive. They either retired or went to the states. Europe invested money and put on more Graded races for older fillies and mares and have reaped the rewards but it did take a few years for it to happen..
I disagree.
They have been going down the toilet very rapidly.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:46 PM
Jerome Park

The fault doesn't lie in Dubai for putting on a huge day of racing. They should be credited for putting together a huge international event, as should the Far East for their respective events, and it is only our arogance in taking for granted that somehow our racing is the best in the world, and our refusal to cater to the connections in a way even remotely similar to our international counterparts, that has put us farther and farther behind on the world stage.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny
Maybe Golden Man can win 2 BC races this year.

OUTSTANDING
Old 02-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
The fault doesn't lie in Dubai for putting on a huge day of racing. They should be credited for putting together a huge international event, as should the Far East for their respective events, and it is only our arogance in taking for granted that somehow our racing is the best in the world, and our refusal to cater to the connections in a way even remotely similar to our international counterparts, that has put us farther and farther behind on the world stage.
it's really a shame that we took a great idea and then have others take that idea and then show us how it REALLY should be done. now we need to take a page or two from their book.

why didn't the bc build a festival day around the ky derby? it wouldn't have taken away from that race, but may have been a great vehicle to build a world cup day around.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:05 PM
Belmont Park

Even I van't argue this is a good idea.. Two days is just too weird for me.. I liked going both days and will enjoy it again in October but it does seem poorly thought out! The handle is going to explode but mostly because of quanity not quality.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
Yes I'd rather him be in America taking it easy and preparing for the rest of the year instead of going to that cursed desert shithole and winning a race against a few South American nags and Euro turfers who have no business in the race to begin with.
You are kidding, right?
Old 02-28-2008, 08:23 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Oh I didn't see this post.

Perfect.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
You are kidding, right?
The World Cup is basically a competition between Dubai and the United States at this point. And I see no benefit for our horses going over there because they come back here and run like ****. I'm sick of it. The place is nothing more than a graveyard of champions at this point. No offense to Saratoga...
Old 02-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Hialeah Park

In my opinion, this move no longer gives Breeders Cup Saturday the distinction of being the best day of racing in the world. The main thing distinguishing the BC from the World Cup was the top quality races of both sexes. Without the female races on Saturday can anyone really make the argument that BC Saturday is a better day of racing than the Dubai World Cup? The dirt races draw the top American horses anyways and the turf races draw far better horses than the Breeders Cup does.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:35 PM
Santa Anita

There are just several reasons not to like this. I mean having KY Oaks day is just something I'm used to but I still don't like the fillies seeming to be a lead up to a bigger prize just because they're gals. "Ladies Classic"? gimme a break. I wanna hear Kenny Mayne's take on the name change.

I'd rather they split it other ways. Not that it'd be great to have the Juvenile on a different day or say a day of turf races and move them off the big day. And not that having that many races that they have a split is great either. I feel like this diminishes the Distaff and I resent whoever thought the audience would get bigger if we didn't have to ponder what Distaff meant.

They wanna make this a festival? Do it up right at Hialeah on a great big day of racing and cut out the back to back 'lady business' at Santa Anita.