Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-27-2007, 11:48 PM
Churchill Downs

Default Bless You George Washington...

i loved this horse.

last year when he was entered in the b.c. i thought he would be in the turf division. i thought he would win that race easily. but they put him in the classic and he came up in 7th place.

you would have thought they would have learned something. english turf horses don't do dirt!

instead they enter him again in the classic after retiring him!
...f'n unbelievable!!!

what dissappointed me most was that they had the chance to reconsider this ill fated move. when they saw the conditions of the track they could have scratched him. when the jockey went to the whip on the backstretched he could have pulled him up and trotted him home to retirement.

instead he kept pushing him to his ultimate demise.

this horse was a champion and deserved a better place to leave this earth than the mud at monmouth park.

this event marred what ever was left of a dismal,rainy day. whats worse is it did'nt have to happen.

new rule: all turf horses must have at least 2 grade 1 races on DIRT to enter the classic.

Last edited by richard burch : 10-28-2007 at 09:38 PM. Reason: complications
Old 10-27-2007, 11:53 PM
Washington Park

Well Spoken.............a Sad Loss For The Animal World.....greed...
Old 10-28-2007, 12:01 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadbeast
Well Spoken.............a Sad Loss For The Animal World.....greed...

thank you,,,
Old 10-28-2007, 12:07 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard burch

new rule: all horses must have at least 2 grade 1 victories on DIRT to enter the classic.
Horses who've won the BC with less than 2 career Grade 1 wins coming into the race.

1984: Wild Again
1986: Skywalker
1991: Black Tie Affair
1993: Arcangues
1994: Concern
1996: Alphabet Soup
1998: Awesome Again
1999: Cat Thief
2000: Tiznow
2002: Volponi
2003: Pleasantly Perfect

11 of them would have been excluded by this ever so ingenuis rule.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:50 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
Horses who've won the BC with less than 2 career Grade 1 wins coming into the race.

Arcangues was a european too so he never raced on dirt before.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:56 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
This thread is ridiculous and is further evidence that this board is on the decline. While GW was a gallant horse, to try and act as if the outcome would have been any different on any surface is a joke. When approached with real facts, like DrugS has given, people really shut up. Get a grip guys.
oh boy, the board policemen have stepped in and righted another wrong. bravo. another over reaction to an emotional throw-away line by someone who was obviously shaken up by the demise of one of racings stars.

no the board went into severe decline when certain smug people like yourself decided to become the official arbiters for all board content. it is a disservice to run around daily labeling others opinions as ridiculous or a joke. get off your high horse.

you especially who went to extraordinary lengths to defend the rights of Morty who never made a single post that wasn't a joke or ridiculous, chastising other who "didn't get it", it would seem that you speak from both sides of your mouth. we were told over and over that we should have tolerance and acceptance for Morty, but everyone else that you disagree with needs to get a grip and is bringing down the board?
Old 10-28-2007, 08:42 AM
Dee Tee Stables

it is a painful experience to lose a horse, god knows last years bc was painful for me after the distaff.
but to suggest that anyone is at fault imo is an over-reaction. had coolmore known going in that this would happen, do you really think they'd have run george?! hell no.
altho the winning percentage of euros on the dirt is low, who can forget the awesome performances by some of those travellers in defeat?
as for the jock going to the whip, that's what jockeys do. sometimes horses pick up when all is lost; who hasn't come here or elsewhere after a horse is seemingly done, only to awaken and put on a rush, and talked about that amazing performance?? again, if anyone had as much foresight as hindsight, this would not have occurred.
if you really feel that the human beings in this sport are that brutal and uncaring, perhaps you should leave the sport, and become an advocate to save these beautiful animals from the cruelty and greed. i'll continue however to be a fan, to enjoy the thrill of watching these beauties in action, and i will continue to feel pain for those who are lost.
but i will not point fingers, as to point blame for the running of a racehorse to me is ridiculous. unless this horse was shown to be unsound and unfit for racing, you are doing coolmore a disservice.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:58 AM
Coach Pants

New Rule: There's a god damn search button. Use it.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:37 AM
Oriental Park

Anything that would have stopped Volponi, Arcangues, Concern, and Alphabet Soup from being BC Classic winners can't be all bad.

Then again, the fact that such horses can win on racing's alleged "biggest day", just underline's the fact that the BC races are often no more important than any other top level race in the country.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:02 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi

Anything that would have stopped Volponi, Arcangues, Concern, and Alphabet Soup from being BC Classic winners can't be all bad.

Then again, the fact that such horses can win on racing's alleged "biggest day", just underline's the fact that the BC races are often no more important than any other top level race in the country.
why, you blasphemer, you!

i wish everyone would understand that....especially the announcers on espn who come back from commercial talking about 'another championship sewn up by so and so' after they win. they need to change the name back to breeders cup, or festival, or anything other than 'world championships'.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:06 AM
Dee Tee Stables

jambalay was injured, grasshopper didn't win anything to get in. he lost the super derby to going ballistic
Old 10-28-2007, 10:07 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi

Maybe It's because I'm still waking up, but could you explain what you mean by this post. I'm really trying to understand. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:25 AM
Dee Tee Stables

jambalaya isn't retired yet. they're giving him 90 days, and then reexamine. not supposed to be career threatening tho.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:18 PM
Churchill Downs

Default you missed the point...

Quote:

i am speaking of european turf horses winning on US dirt tracks.

as far as i know, most if not all euro racing is on grass. those so-called tracks are in fields that are not level.

you can also see that they run in the opposite direction which can cauyse problems when they come to the US. this was evident in a race yesterday when 3 horses blew the far turn.

if the euros want to run here they should should try to get some dirt tracks and run in the other direction.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:42 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
This thread is ridiculous and is further evidence that this board is on the decline. While GW was a gallant horse, to try and act as if the outcome would have been any different on any surface is a joke. When approached with real facts, like DrugS has given, people really shut up. Get a grip guys.

with only about 20 - 30 people on this board most of the time you have to take what you can get.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard burch
i am speaking of european turf horses winning on US dirt tracks.

as far as i know, most if not all euro racing is on grass. those so-called tracks are in fields that are not level.

you can also see that they run in the opposite direction which can cauyse problems when they come to the US. this was evident in a race yesterday when 3 horses blew the far turn.

if the euros want to run here they should should try to get some dirt tracks and run in the other direction.
I hear ya.

However, your new rule was awful.

If the BC Classic was restricted to multiple Grade 1 winners on dirt - in many years you'd have a four or five horse field running for a $5 million purse.

You'll actually run the risk of having more horses breakdown that way. Because the connections of a long in the tooth or sore horse who won a pair of Grade 1's in the past....they will do everything possible to make a race against three or four opponets that carries a $5,000,000 purse.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:20 PM
The Curragh

We do have left-handed tracks as well, you know?

However, we only have once track in England that is as tight (possibly tighter) than the tracks you have in the US.

Four of the five synthetic tracks in Britain and Ireland are left-handed.

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 10-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Sha Tin

You cant legislate out breakdowns with rules...

Though I feel remorse for the groom and lads connected to the horse I think it is especially tragic when a top horse breaks down in a race where they had no chance.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
I hear ya.

However, your new rule was awful.

If the BC Classic was restricted to multiple Grade 1 winners on dirt - in many years you'd have a four or five horse field running for a $5 million purse.

You'll actually run the risk of having more horses breakdown that way. Because the connections of a long in the tooth or sore horse who won a pair of Grade 1's in the past....they will do everything possible to make a race against three or four opponets that carries a $5,000,000 purse.
Plus you'd have some completely off form older geldings entering the race to try and get fifth cause they had 2 G1 wins earlier in their career. Or horses like Silver Wagon who have no business going 10 furlongs.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by merasmag
if a bc race can only get 5 entrants then they are TRULY a sham
Well, let's take a look if this highly amusing rule would have been in place for Saturday's BC Classic.

Of the field of nine - Any Given Saturday (one Grade 1 dirt wins) Hard Spun (one Grade 1 dirt win) Awesome Gem (0 Grade 1 dirt wins) Diamond Stripes (0 Grade 1 dirt wins) George Washington (0 Grade 1 dirt wins) - would all be excluding from running.

That leaves us with a four horse field for the Breeders Cup Classic consisting of.....Tiago (2 Grade 1 wins) Curlin (2 Grade 1 wins) Lawyer Ron (2 Grade 1 wins) and Street Sense (3 Grade 1 wins)