Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-30-2007, 05:09 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
Why is that Deb?
turf horses are always up against it in this country. then there's the farm he'll be standing. also just the incredible amount of competition out there. you have got to have plenty of support for a stallion to make it, will he have that? odds are against him being a success. it's tough, and in ky is that much tougher--and at a pretty new farm as well. where will his mares come from? how many have they got to support him? who is in the syndicate? the fact that he's going there i feel speaks volumes about demand for his services.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:15 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
turf horses are always up against it in this country. then there's the farm he'll be standing. also just the incredible amount of competition out there. you have got to have plenty of support for a stallion to make it, will he have that? odds are against him being a success. it's tough, and in ky is that much tougher--and at a pretty new farm as well. where will his mares come from? how many have they got to support him? who is in the syndicate? the fact that he's going there i feel speaks volumes about demand for his services.
Good points and he was small which does not help. 1 1/2 turf horses do not usually do great here.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
Why is that Deb?
Your boy's new home doesn't even have a website. You better book a ticket to Korea so you can go see him in a couple years.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:38 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
Your boy's new home doesn't even have a website. You better book a ticket to Korea so you can go see him in a couple years.

I know...I was checking it out last night. They got Bellamy Road and Artie Hang...I mean Schiller showing up there. Bootleg...
Old 10-30-2007, 09:13 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Good points and he was small which does not help. 1 1/2 turf horses do not usually do great here.
he needs to have horses do well on other than turf. and of course smart strike has had that this year. definitely can get anything with him.
but that's the daddy. whole new ball game with the boys, and we all know that not all sires of good racehorses become sires of sires.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:01 PM
Hawthorne

If I was looking to breed a turf star I would MUCH rather breed to Shakespeare, he was a freak, he could win at a mile and a mile and a half, much, much better looking horse as well.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:07 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARHAGE
If I was looking to breed a turf star I would MUCH rather breed to Shakespeare, he was a freak, he could win at a mile and a mile and a half, much, much better looking horse as well.
You wouldn't be dissuaded by Shakespeare's numerous health problems?

I would.

NT
Old 10-31-2007, 03:19 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215

I would.

NT
i would as well.
it's not that i don't think english channel CAN be a good sire, it's whether he'll get the chance. his is well bred, and his sire has shown he can get them short to long, dirt and turf. but with english channel being turf both top and bottom, he won't get as much attention from commercial breeders as some other smart strikes would.
if you're searching for a route turfer, he's one to go to. sound as a bell, and a runner and champion. you could certainly do worse!!
Old 10-31-2007, 05:45 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215

I would.

NT
No I wouldn't, he had tendon problems which ANY horse can sufferfrom, he's a big beautiful specimen and he showed he was very versatile in winning a Grade 1 in both a mile and a route, in spectacular fashion. I would be more wary of getting a shrimpy little hot head from English Channel.