Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-21-2007, 04:28 PM
Santa Anita

you would enjoy me and my friends almost weekly slagging off of Manning.. He is terrible but has got the ultimate job security..

For me, Id have McEvoy, Fallon, Kinane, Murtagh as the top echelon of Euro (well one is Aussie) jocks

#Grand
Old 10-21-2007, 04:38 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy
you would enjoy me and my friends almost weekly slagging off of Manning.. He is terrible but has got the ultimate job security..

For me, Id have McEvoy, Fallon, Kinane, Murtagh as the top echelon of Euro (well one is Aussie) jocks
Manning isn't an all time fav of mine but he's still get on the top ten list of the top jocks riding in europe. He is so strong in the saddle and nine times out of ten you can be sure you will get a run for your money with his mounts.

He just edges Pat Smullen for me, who in my opinion is a great tactical jockey, but isn't as strong in a finish as some of the others.

Kerrin just has a superb racing brain. You will rarely see him in the wrong position when a race is developing. When you can do that time after time you don't need to be exceptionally strong. In America he'd turn out to be one of the all time greats. America deserves a jock like McEvoy, he's make someone like Gomez look ordinary.

Kinane is just tremendous..... everything.

Murtagh has improved out of all recognition this year, i think. A few years ago he wasn't a fav of mine at all, but i think that can be put down to him going through his drink problem and not really getting along with David Loder while he had a spell in England. This year he has been unstoppable.

Kieren is just Kieren. race fixing or not, you'll never see a more powerful jockey. He could lift horses over the line first. A seriously good horseman.

Ryan looks like he could be the next Kinane, a very quiet lad, just gets on with his job. Racing is his life, he doesn't drink, he doesn't go to clubs and get laid by as many birds as possible. He is 100% focused on his job. Nothing is ever good enough for him. Even after winning the eclipse on Notnowcato he thought he could have done better. Someone with that determination at such a young age is on his way to stardom.

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 10-22-2007, 03:26 AM
Steve Byk

Lahudood (GB) FM Turf Belmont Park 5 furlongs 1.00:14
Nashoba's Key FM Turf/Distaff Santa Anita 5 furlongs 1.00:80
Argentina (IRE) FM Turf Belmont Park 6 furlongs 1.17:04
Honey Ryder FM Turf/Turf Belmont Park 5 furlongs 1.03:41
Precious Kitten Mile/FM Turf Keeneland 4 furlongs 48:60
Wait a While FM Turf Belmont Park 5 furlongs 1.04:11

Cosmonaut Mile Keeneland 5 furlongs 58:00
After Market Mile Hollywood Park 5 furlongs 1.00:00
Host (CHI) Mile Belmont Park 5 furlongs 1.03:41
Icy Atlantic Turf/Mile Belmont Park 4 furlongs 50:71
Purim Mile Keeneland 5 furlongs 59:40
Rabatash Mile Belmont Park 5 furlongs 1.01:82
Remarkable News Mile Belmont Park 5 furlongs 1.02:71

English Channel Turf Belmont Park 5 furlongs 1.03:55
Grand Couturier (GB) Turf Aqueduct 5 furlongs 1.04:03
Shamdinan (FR) Turf Belmont Park 5 furlongs 1.03:60
Transduction Gold Turf Keeneland 5 furlongs 1.01:60
Old 10-23-2007, 12:38 AM
Saratoga

I just got done handicapping the BC Turf and while Dylan Thomas looks extremely solid, I think a horse that could run huge is Shamdinan. In TG terms, he just circled back to his top, which in lightly raced horses often means a move forward. Now his current top is right in the thick of things for 2nd/3rd money but if he explodes, which could happen, he could be a monster payoff. I think the reward is there if he is over 20/1, which is possible since his last two races aren't too impressive, even though his last race at Belmont recieved a "!" notation meaning it is a buried figure and it is a better race then it looks to the public. He is also getting 5lbs. I think all of this adds up to including him in alot of tickets.

Anyone know why Angel Penna took over training on this horse?
Old 10-23-2007, 01:03 AM
Del Mar

Grand Courturier is my longshot in that race. . . Maybe I'll play something with Dylan on top and throw Shamdinan and GC underneath. . . I'm not sure about Shammy though. . .
Old 10-23-2007, 01:04 AM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Murtagh makes me want to kill people with some of his rides.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:35 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurlogue Champ
Murtagh makes me want to kill people with some of his rides.
That's how i used to feel about him two or three years ago. I saw him give so many bad rides within those two years i lost faith in him as a kockey. This year, however, he has been riding out of his skin. His ride in the E P Taylor the other day was fantastic. Most would have given up and just ridden out for second, but the way he picked Mrs Lindsay up again was brilliant. He is in the form of his life, and so is Dylan Thomas...... which is a great combination.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:07 AM
Oaklawn

I had Murtagh ranked as maybe the best Euro jockey this year- - until his ride in the Manowar. To his credit(or a greater sin) I couldn't tell 100% that it wasn't a pace ambush to try to take out Sunriver...
Sure glad I didn't bet his horse that day. I know a lot of people wouldn't have put a penny on him, had they known he was going to use it up on the pace like a cheap uncoupled entry. His other recent races here including the Arlington Million day, have been high level.

Ryan Moore caught my eye with his Eclipse victory. I dont care if the trainer came up with the tactics, the execution and timing is what impressed me.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Del Mar

Default Workouts

Whose working out at Monmouth? I can't find any information on this and it would seem to me an important fact. Anyone know?

Thanks,
Spyder
Old 10-23-2007, 11:37 AM
Oaklawn

Thumbs down

[/rant]
Old 10-23-2007, 11:41 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Fischer
[rant=morningline]

too much handicapping from the ML maker and not enough attention to the betting public .

He should KNOW that the public wants to bet Nobiz hand-over-fist in the Mile, yet he starts Nobiz at 8-1 while placing Jeremy at 5-1 ??

there odds should be reversed for the morning line!

It isn't his job to be an "expert" handicapper - his job is to set a morning line.

Sure it will even out, but the game is hard enough without the Linesmaker trying to go beyond the betting-public's opinion and into his own handicapping..

[/rant]
Ya so far I don't like some of the linesmaker's odds at all. . .
Old 10-25-2007, 05:04 PM
ezrabrooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChanceToDance
Me, Gallant, mmsc and many european racing followers will all agree that Dettori is hugely overrated. He isn't the best when it comes to tactics and compared with a lot of jockeys he is very weak in a finish.

He only cares about winning. Second and third are not good enough to him as he has shown many times in the past. If he has no chance of winning, but still has a chance of hitting the board he will more than likely give up.

People think he's a good jockey because of the media. He gets a lot of media attention, but that doesn't mean he is good.

He has the choice of all the Godolphin horses to ride, and if they have two runners in the same race he will usually choose the 'wrong one', even though he should know the Godolphin horses inside out.

He just isn't very good considering he gets to ride some of the best horses in the world and often gets it all wrong.
NoChance, Enjoy your posts. One queston, if Dettori doesn't like to lose...what is he doing on Kelly's Landing in the Sprint? This horse should be a toss, but I just keep coming back to him..

Ez
Old 10-25-2007, 05:20 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrabrooks
NoChance, Enjoy your posts. One queston, if Dettori doesn't like to lose...what is he doing on Kelly's Landing in the Sprint? This horse should be a toss, but I just keep coming back to him..

Ez
He had a good victory on him in Dubai, and even i have to say he gave KL a good ride that night in March.

I think he has a very good shot. I think the key to him is being fresh, and he will be fresh for this. My worry is the jockey though, he is very frustrating from a punters point of view. You can never be sure what sort of ride you will get for your money.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:36 AM
Aqueduct

my precious kitten
where for art thou wait a while?
the rest go under
Old 10-27-2007, 04:05 PM
Saratoga

"What an upset! Dylan Thomas goes down to the American English Channel!"

Oh God give me a break. Dylan has had a long year.....

Disgusted.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:05 PM
Saratoga

Kev might get fired for yelling so loud, AT WORK, and then calling me.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:08 PM
The Curragh

They shouldn't have run him. I'm sorry, but they shouldn't.

Greed gets the better of a big organisation again!

Old 10-27-2007, 04:08 PM
The Curragh

Congrats, Kev. It's fun thinking how thrilled you must be!

--Dunbar
Old 10-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChanceToDance
They shouldn't have run him. I'm sorry, but they shouldn't.

Greed gets the better of a big organisation again!
We disagree a lot but yeah, there were more reasons not to run him than to go ahead with it.....
Old 10-27-2007, 04:11 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
We disagree a lot but yeah, there were more reasons not to run him than to go ahead with it.....
Ground was wrong, long season, he had quite a bit to lose. I'm very disappointed with Coolmore.