Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benevolus
Highly doubtful Nobiz will ever see the dirt again and beyers don't mean too much on grass, just who you beat. Street Sense needs the right setup, but he might get it. A 108-110 might be all that is needed in the Breeders Cup. Lawyer Ron might not fire at 10f and Curlin and Hard Spun don't seem to love Monmouth. Any Given Saturday might fire off the 115 though, especially considering he had the easy last race and he likes Monmouth. Tiago is one to watch though.

Nobiz would not pick up a check in this race. He is likely to win the race at Hollywood Park. That is why he isn't running here.
Street Sense, Hard Spun, AGS, Tiago, Lawyer Ron. All five can't hit the board. Should some of them skip the BC and run in the Cigar or the Clark since they may not hit the board here? U do realize that the horse that u are saying is one to watch (Tiago) just ran 106 and 103.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 10-17-2007, 10:20 AM

For all of those that said we should defer to Tagg's expertise and that he would skip the BC because the Hollywood Derby was a better spot for his horse, yadda yadda, guess who's entered in the BC Mile? Now, I know that some will say that it probably wasn't his call and the owner wanted it. Could be true. But then who would get the credit if Nobiz happens to win the race? Tagg or the owner?
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 10-17-2007, 10:22 AM
Del Mar

What's your point? Maybe the horse came out of his last race in good order and seems set to move up. . .
Old 10-17-2007, 10:27 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
For all of those that said we should defer to Tagg's expertise and that he would skip the BC because the Hollywood Derby was a better spot for his horse, yadda yadda, guess who's entered in the BC Mile? Now, I know that some will say that it probably wasn't his call and the owner wanted it. Could be true. But then who would get the credit if Nobiz happens to win the race? Tagg or the owner?
There's something wrong with him having the option of going in the Mile or the HOL Derby? And if the horse were to win the Mile, Mrs. Valando will have not had much to do with his preparation. If she wanted to go, and Barclay didn't, he'll still do everything possible to get him ready for the best performance possible.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
isn't it possible to defer to Taggs expertise if he instead goes to the BC? deferring to his expertise means just that, whichever way he goes.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
I would say that Tagg is much more interested in trying to win a race and make money than worry about who gets the credit.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:22 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Street Sense, Hard Spun, AGS, Tiago, Lawyer Ron. All five can't hit the board. Should some of them skip the BC and run in the Cigar or the Clark since they may not hit the board here? U do realize that the horse that u are saying is one to watch (Tiago) just ran 106 and 103.
They cant ALL hit the board but any of them could hit the board. That said, why skip a $m race in which you have a decent shot of hitting the board in favor of a $300k race? If the mile on dirt is your thing, there's a $1 on offer the day before the Classic and none of these horses was pre entered. The fact is that very little separates the the BCC runners this year, at least on paper.

As for Nobiz, I hope he runs and does well. He was a live late 2yo and was competitive (if not outstanding) on the Derby trail. He was a decent 2nd to AGS in the Dwyer and has gone 3 for 3 on grass, while showing new maturity. Tagg is not a credit taker. He doesn't care if it was his idea or the owners to run in the BC. He wants to win races and earn money.

Maybe its because the cream of last year is retired (Bernardini) or dead (Barbaro) but the "olders" this year are sure making the 3yo's, both dirt and turf, look pretty good.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
It is foolish because there are much better alternatives. If they run in a BC race he clearly should be in the Mile. The BC Turf is probably the second choice. However, Tagg, who is one of the great trainers in the game, has said he is pointing to the Grade 1 Hollywood Derby. He isn't leaving this horse in the barn, and never has, but instead has picked one good spot for him after another. Yet, somehow people here apparently know better than he does where and when he should run the horse.
Sometimes you are so brilliant
Old 10-17-2007, 03:04 PM
The Curragh

So, is he going to run in the mile, or has the pre entry just been made as an alternative for the Hollywood race?

I'd like to see him in the mile. I'd have a fairly large reserved exacta with him and Excellent Art.

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 10-17-2007, 05:22 PM
Benevolus

Quote:
He isn't running in the BC Mile. He is just pre-entered. A horse like Obrien's walks faster than Nobiz runs. If you are lucky Nobiz will show up in the BC Mile and you will finally see just how slow he is when he runs against a real grade 1 caliber miler on the turf. Excellent Art would eat him for lunch. Even horses like Kip Deville would laugh at him. He isn't even the fastest miler in his own barn and his barn isn't George Washington and Excellent Art but Showing Up and Nobiz. Showing Up could hold his own if healthy but Nobiz would be lucky to finish within 7 or 8 of the winner.

This was a sporting thing of Tagg to do but I doubt he ever really even considered it.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:15 PM
Oriental Park

I cant take anymore
Old 10-27-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benevolus
He isn't running in the BC Mile. He is just pre-entered. A horse like Obrien's walks faster than Nobiz runs. If you are lucky Nobiz will show up in the BC Mile and you will finally see just how slow he is when he runs against a real grade 1 caliber miler on the turf. Excellent Art would eat him for lunch. Even horses like Kip Deville would laugh at him. He isn't even the fastest miler in his own barn and his barn isn't George Washington and Excellent Art but Showing Up and Nobiz. Showing Up could hold his own if healthy but Nobiz would be lucky to finish within 7 or 8 of the winner.

This was a sporting thing of Tagg to do but I doubt he ever really even considered it.
I still think he's going to run. O'Brien's horse did handle him and Kip Deville did too. I didn't think that Nobiz ran a bad race though in finishing fourth. I thought he acquitted himself very well.