Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-06-2006, 11:20 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Default ny racing....

ive seen many posters on here that just dont play some real money guys ..
pablo morales
rudy rod.....these guys are money in the rite spot..they are 5-1 or higher just about all the time ..why no love for these two......the jock cant carry the horse...these two seem to do a very good job..just a thought...comments.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Oaklawn

I agree. Rudy Rod is solid when placed on the right mounts. He won three races one day last week, including a great ride on a Frankel horse to beat Organizer and Dr. Pleasure.(Sir Halory).. his winners that day paid $47, $13 and $12!!!!

BTW, Hooves.. You need to get a few more posts in to change your "track name." I don't think it's very good mojo to have the "monmouth" moniker at this point!!!
Old 07-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Keeneland

I never understood the thought of playing a horse because he's live on the board and thus severely overbet but I hear it all the time from some smart people. This same thinking keeps those from playing unknown jocks and value horses or underlays. Then when a non-favorite wins you are sure to hear the yells fix, and boatrace yet these same people will double up on the favorite the very next race.
When they win you are sure to hear "the best horse won" and despite going off at around even money they somehow bet it when it was 7/2 or better though most know some haven't been that price in months.
It is a pari-mutual game tough so I encourage chalk players to bet with both hands and give the rest a chance to make some real money.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:53 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

good points ...i look at these guys more and more ....for all the right reasons...they bring in prices..
Old 07-06-2006, 12:13 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellinger63
I never understood the thought of playing a horse because he's live on the board and thus severely overbet but I hear it all the time from some smart people. This same thinking keeps those from playing unknown jocks and value horses or underlays. Then when a non-favorite wins you are sure to hear the yells fix, and boatrace yet these same people will double up on the favorite the very next race.
When they win you are sure to hear "the best horse won" and despite going off at around even money they somehow bet it when it was 7/2 or better though most know some haven't been that price in months.
It is a pari-mutual game tough so I encourage chalk players to bet with both hands and give the rest a chance to make some real money.
Dell,
Now that is one of the best (most insightful) things I've read.
Well said!
DTS
Old 07-06-2006, 01:22 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
ive seen many posters on here that just dont play some real money guys ..
pablo morales
rudy rod.....these guys are money in the rite spot..they are 5-1 or higher just about all the time ..why no love for these two......the jock cant carry the horse...these two seem to do a very good job..just a thought...comments.
True and doubly true for trainers. You will get few decent prices on Pletcher horses (though Harbor master at $21.00 at GP was sweet) or Dutrow or Assman.

They may win at 25%, but that just means they're losing 3 of 4. To get a decent price shot, you don't need to have a top trainer going off at 5-1.... you're far better off playing a CAPABLE trainer at 10-1. Same goes for jocks.

Top trainer short prices are for the birds and chalk-spouting drf eaters. Pass the race if they're worthy as you will not beat this kind of race in the long run. If not worthy, bet against them at the high end of your wagering level.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellinger63
See its all how you look at "live on the board" and reasons one might be. For example, for me, a horse with a lesser known jock and maybe less appreciated connections, there is a reason the horse is dead on the board. Therefore, I have no problem betting the horse. 80% of the time I can tell you how live a Pletcher firster is simply by watching the board. Sometimes a 5/2 horse of his is "dead". 5/2, no joke. Totally depends on the field these horses are facing.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:45 PM
Keeneland

It might make a difference in MSW races but for example I know a group of owners who love betting their horse and so does their employees, familes, neighbors and probably their landscapers the horse always opens at less than even money and is also covered like crazy in pic 3's. Horse has been an absolute money burner but I often wonder how many bettors both at the track and simulcast that jump on the wagon.
For me seeing Pletcher/JohnnyV on a 1rster at even money or less would send me shopping for a different selection or give me time to get a cold one while passing up the race