Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Saratoga

Default ... and he is one of many

Abandoned champion racehorse needs home

BY DONNA GEHRKE-WHITE
For The Miami Herald

The big horse was wandering in an isolated area west of Hialeah when Miami-Dade Police found him close to starvation.

The gentle giant turned out to be a crown prince rescued from death.

A lip tattoo identified him as Magic Express, the grandson of a Triple Crown winner -- Secretariat -- who was once called the greatest athlete of all times.

Magic Express himself won races in both the United States and Great Britain. He was racing until he was 5 years old -- at an age when other race horses, including his grandfather, are retired.

``Then he falls into a black hole for 16 years until he turns up in 2010 -- abandoned and starving in the `slaughter' area of Miami,'' said Jeanette Jordan, president of the South Florida Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, which took him in.

Now she is hoping Magic Express' life will have a happy ending -- just as Secretariat, a feel-good Walt Disney movie about his famous granddad, is scheduled to be released Oct. 8.

Jordan is looking for a loving family to adopt the thoroughbred and cherish him as ``living history.''

Magic Express is already beloved at the South Florida SPCA ranch, where about four dozen other horses live awaiting adoption.

``He's a loving gentleman of a horse,'' said Ellyn Robinson, vice president of the South Florida SPCA.

``He is going to be gorgeous,'' once he regains his weight, added volunteer Julie Gonzalez.

Laurie Waggoner, the manager of the SPCA ranch, watches over him and is determined that he will weigh more. ``He could gain another 100 pounds. Easy,'' she said. ``He's a big animal.''

Just like his granddad, who stood 16 hands two inches and weighed close to 1,200 pounds.

In the month he has been at the ranch, Magic Express already has added about 100 pounds.

But his ribs still show and his haunches remain shrunken.

Nevertheless, Magic Express remains resplendent. He is a burnished chestnut, with glints of red and gold in his velvety mane and coat.

His grandfather, after all, was nicknamed ``Big Red.'' And like Secretariat, Magic Express has the signature white socks -- on all four of his legs. Secretariat had three of the signature markings.

His grandson is patient. Magic Express recently waited for his new handlers to rope him and then lead him to an open area. Like the thoroughbred he is, he seemed to preen for a camera and willingly walked around to show off his best angle.

``He is obedient, quiet,'' ranch manager Waggoner said. ``He has a great personality -- he is easy to deal with.''

Indeed, Magic Express lavishes affection on his handlers. He gently nuzzled volunteer Gonzalez as she held his reins. Then he reached out with his large tongue to lick her hand, just as a dog would.

``He is such a sweetheart,'' Gonzalez exclaimed as she rewarded Magic Express with pats and rubs on his velvety soft neck.

He doesn't deserve how past owners have treated him, she and other SPCA volunteers said.

``His life has been very, very hard,'' Jordan said.

He still has marks from a saddle that was not fitted correctly. And he has wounds on his legs. Former owners raced him 62 times. In comparison, Secretariat only had to run 21 times, just a third of Magic Express' work load.

He started out as royalty 23 years ago, born March 23, 1987, to a Kentucky thoroughbred farm. His mother was Secretariat Flag, the daughter of the great champ whose racing records remain unmatched.

Magic Express ended up racing in England and the United States. He won nine times and took 11 second and third prizes. Magic Express earned more than $40,000. Still, that does not compare to Secretariat winning more than $1.3 million.

After Magic Express' racing career ended, he disappeared from official records.

No one knows how he got to Florida.

Miami-Dade Police found him in August wandering in the isolated C-9 Basin area in the northwestern part of the county that is notorious for containing hidden -- and illegal -- slaughterhouses.

The South Florida SPCA has other horses living at its ranch in Miami Lakes that were found in the area.

Indeed, the nonprofit now is trying to find homes for about four dozen rescued horses, almost triple its usual capacity.

Just last year, Freedom's Flight -- descended from Secretariat and another Triple Crown winner, Seattle Slew -- was found hairless and tied at a Miami-Dade slaughterhouse, apparently about to be killed.

Rescuers saved him from becoming illegal horse meat. Today he is enjoying freedom at a private home

.The South Florida SPCA is trying to find a home for Magic Express and dozens of other rescued horses. For information, go to www.spca-sofla.org or call 305-825-8826. The nonprofit also needs donations to help care for horses and other farm animals. ...

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/10/0...#ixzz11c0TPtNJ

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/10/0...rse-needs.html
Old 10-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Jerome Park

Awwwww Poor baby

I am glad he survived long enough for these kind people to take care of him while trying to find him a good home.

Best of luck to the old fella
Old 10-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Fairgrounds

People in Florida are sick. I can think of only a few better arguments for deporting illegals and/or toughening up immigration laws.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat View Post
He was racing until he was 5 years old -- at an age when other race horses, including his grandfather, are retired.
I stopped reading after this.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat View Post
[b]

After Magic Express' racing career ended, he disappeared from official records.

No one knows how he got to Florida.

[/url]
Really inexcusable that the Jockey Club will keep track of NAMES but not HORSES. Low Class.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklestheclown View Post
Really inexcusable that the Jockey Club will keep track of NAMES but not HORSES. Low Class.
Do you have any idea what kind of work it would entail to keep track of every single horse? It's impossible for many reasons. None of which I expect you to understand, but it just isn't something that can be done.

Does the NFL keep track of every single player that has ever played in the league?
Old 10-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Fairgrounds

No. The union does...or it's supposed to. It's too hard is not a good excuse for anything. And why would you compare grown men who should be able to take care of themselves to horses which cannot? That's really dumb.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
No. The union does...or it's supposed to. It's too hard is not a good excuse for anything. And why would you compare grown men who should be able to take care of themselves to horses which cannot? That's really dumb.
You've already set the standard for stupidity. I'm trying to compete.

Who would you like to pay for your idea? And how would it be possible to keep track of every single horse? I'm serious. Sell me on the concept.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:36 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
You've already set the standard for stupidity. I'm trying to compete.

Who would you like to pay for your idea? And how would it be possible to keep track of every single horse? I'm serious. Sell me on the concept.
Don't you have a virtual stable? Or spreadsheets? How owners report in is I guess the problem you are alluding to. But the way everything else is regulated I don't see the problem with something that important in terms of animal welfare.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Don't you have a virtual stable? Or spreadsheets? How owners report in is I guess the problem you are alluding to. But the way everything else is regulated I don't see the problem with something that important in terms of animal welfare.
Of course that would be the giant problem with it. Whether we like it or not these horses are someone's property. They shouldn't have to report what they are doing with their horse once their racing career is over as long as it's legal.

And should we just keep track of horses that race? What about those bred, but aren't good enough to race? It's a nice, but totally unrealistic thought.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Fairgrounds

I never said it was realistic. Most things aren't. But to report in every year on horses that ran shouldn't be that big a problem. Even to just check a box that says "SOLD-Whereabouts unknown."
Old 10-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
I never said it was realistic. Most things aren't. But to report in every year on horses that ran shouldn't be that big a problem. Even to just check a box that says "SOLD-Whereabouts unknown."
So it's unrealistic, but the Jockey Club is low class for not doing it. Makes sense.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Fairgrounds

It's not realistic to turn down names because they are too commercial. But they do it all the time. They should spend that time on taking care of horses and the world would be a better place. IMO.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
It's not realistic to turn down names because they are too commercial. But they do it all the time. They should spend that time on taking care of horses and the world would be a better place. IMO.
What color is the sky in your world?
Old 10-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Fairgrounds

LOL. As it is night it is black. Which is not a color. Go figure.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Santa Anita

Thanks for the link, my miss storm cat. I hope he finds a happy home to live the rest of his years.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Sha Tin

I am still waiting to find out which championship that the horse in question won.