Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-16-2007, 08:55 PM
Oaklawn

Default 'paceQuality' figs: Street Sense (last 4); Bluegrass S. (w/Trakus)

(click and open full screen)

Here are my figures for Street Sense's last four races. Also included here is an in-depth look at the Bluegrass Stakes using Trakus Data with my figures.

Pace Quality or pQ attempts to measure the pace of the primary contenders in a race at the pace call. This can be important in identifying a true race shape. pQ2 measures the pace of the primary contenders from the pace call to the the finish. The Bluegrass was a visually obvious example of a race that "came home fast". Figures are listed in feet/second velocity.

- new to this forum any questions or comments welcome
Old 04-16-2007, 09:08 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Fischer

Here are my figures for Street Sense's last four races. Also included here is an in-depth look at the Bluegrass Stakes using Trakus Data with my figures.

Pace Quality or pQ attempts to measure the pace of the primary contenders in a race at the pace call. This can be important in identifying a true race shape. pQ2 measures the pace of the primary contenders from the pace call to the the finish. The Bluegrass was a visually obvious example of a race that "came home fast". Figures are listed in feet/second velocity.

You play chess?
Old 04-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Newmarket

Quote:

If you were on the "other" board...they boot you off!
Run by a bunch of "A".....holes

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 04-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Saratoga

Quote:

Great information BF, a little indepth for someone like me who likes to fire at the windows but to each is own. Hopefully they let you back into the USA soon
Old 04-16-2007, 09:20 PM
Oaklawn

lol @ the chess comments.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:19 AM
easy goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
You play chess?
I think he gave it up 35 years ago.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:28 AM
easy goer

The trakus data is interesting:

1) is the data available on the internet? And/or have you done these data charts for all the preps?

2) Zanjero seems to save ground quite well; how come SS covered more ground than Dominican? Is that because Dominican angled out in the stretch?

3) Great Hunters speed/pace, these rates figure to be on the low side on account of his being blocked, but if he was not blocked would the figs reveal that he was tiring? The figs dont look too bad given that he wa blocked. I think Jerry Bailey said he was tiring and everyone sort of agreed do the numbers say that?

4) on the SS stats, you give the PQ for the field but I would like to see the velocity for Ss himself. HIs Beyer figs have gone down and this is supposed to be significant, obviously the CD surface was a help as was the synthetic, but Id really like to compare the futurity to the TB derby to see what that was.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:06 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy goer
I think he gave it up 35 years ago.

Actually, Bobby Fischer became world chess champion 35 years ago and gave up his title 32 years ago. He played Boris Spassky in 1992, which was 15 years ago, in what may have been his last public match.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:18 AM
Narragansett Park

Kasparov by a pole
Old 04-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Tropical Park

Dominican had the highest speed from the pace call to the finish. Figure a 12 clip at 55 ft per second and Dominican was running at 58 ft per second. Dominican was the best horse in that race.

The Trakus stats support the visual in this race.

I don't know if you can pull up distance run by each horse from the pace call to finish. Might show who veered the most.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:36 AM
Steve Byk

B/F,

Thanks for bringing these into the discussions... Though this kind of info is generally PaceAdvantage-ish, I'm sure everyone will appreciate the nums and it should generate great chatter. Feel free to chart the joint up!

Steve
Old 04-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Oaklawn

Thumbs up

Quote:

4) on the SS stats, you give the PQ for the field but I would like to see the velocity for Ss himself. HIs Beyer figs have gone down and this is supposed to be significant, obviously the CD surface was a help as was the synthetic, but Id really like to compare the futurity to the TB derby to see what that was.
I will respond to the other comments, first I would like to say thank you this is a good suggestion. I will now include this information with my derby prep figures.

STREET SENSE paceQuality with SS individual velocity numbers:

Circular Quay

Curlin will be up soon

Last edited by Bobby Fischer : 04-17-2007 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:24 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
The trakus data is interesting:

1) is the data available on the internet? And/or have you done these data charts for all the preps?
Trakus data is available for free from the Keeneland website. I have the paceQuality figures on a spreadsheet and will post them as I have time to paste them into the templates. I don't currently have a website.

Quote:
2) Zanjero seems to save ground quite well; how come SS covered more ground than Dominican? Is that because Dominican angled out in the stretch?
According to the trakus, somewhere in the first 6 furlongs Street Sense managed to run 10 more feet than Dominican. Not much over the course of about 4000 feet, but still amounts to about a length in distance advantage.

Quote:
3) Great Hunters speed/pace, these rates figure to be on the low side on account of his being blocked, but if he was not blocked would the figs reveal that he was tiring? The figs dont look too bad given that he wa blocked. I think Jerry Bailey said he was tiring and everyone sort of agreed do the numbers say that?
They all came home so fast that with the traffic in the stretch it would be hard to spot anything on the figures alone. Even Beyer complained about this one! What do you think? The trakus numbers look good for him. Judgement call
Old 04-18-2007, 02:54 PM
easy goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Actually, Bobby Fischer became world chess champion 35 years ago and gave up his title 32 years ago. He played Boris Spassky in 1992, which was 15 years ago, in what may have been his last public match.
It has certainly been his last to date and has led to his present problems vis a vis the US government. He was paid by Yugo. government at the time on a list of entities you cant do business with..Hence his sojourn to Phillipines, Japan, etc. Now in Iceland. Strange guy; did anyone see Schaap's interview with him in Iceland?
Old 04-18-2007, 03:01 PM
easy goer

Quote:

They all came home so fast that with the traffic in the stretch it would be hard to spot anything on the figures alone. Even Beyer complained about this one! What do you think? The trakus numbers look good for him. Judgement call
I think it is hard to say that Great Hunter was tiring although Bailey seemed to think so and I guess Nakatani was not going to push the issue. Perhaps because GH was running 2nd position until the home stretch where he fell back a little. Have to watch this again, not at all certain. Could be a useful angle.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:37 PM
Oaklawn

CURLIN

NOBIZ LIKE SHOBIZ

SCAT DADDY
Old 04-18-2007, 10:46 PM
Goodwood

Just for informational purposes:
55 ft/s = 2:00 flat
54 ft/s = 2:02.22
53 ft/s = 2:04.5

The ideal "winning profile" in energy distribution:
55.9 ft/s early and 54.3 ft/s late.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:59 PM
easy goer

This is really good stuff Bobby, thanks.

I am looking at Curlin numbers and it seems that his figs are the same as the leading pace contenders. Yes? Is that because he is so far out in front or something else? It is hard to get a read on the field that he is in if his figs are the same as the field.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:59 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
lol @ the chess comments.
because you're handle was so obscure?

you know you named yourself after a delusional anti-semite right? i only ask because i have always been so careful what other's might think of my name.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:04 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
Just for informational purposes:
55 ft/s = 2:00 flat
54 ft/s = 2:02.22
53 ft/s = 2:04.5

The ideal "winning profile" in energy distribution:
55.9 ft/s early and 54.3 ft/s late.

good stuff. Nobiz came close to that profile in the Remsen but that was 4 races back. Street sense actually ran a 54/55 in the BC Juv!