Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-02-2008, 01:25 PM
The Curragh

[quote=gales0678]home 31-10

away 19-26

why such a disparity folks???

could it be a more generous strike zone for their pitchers at fenway???

this team is not very goodUOTE]

Yeah they really suck.......the 2 World Series titles in the last 4 years was obviously due to spygate ....
Old 07-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Louisiana Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gales0678
home 31-10

away 19-26

this team is not very good

You've been listening to Mike's BS for way too long...F the Yankees!!!
Old 07-03-2008, 07:35 AM
Oriental Park

scuds how are the red sox going to make it when they have no one in the bullpen (besides the guy in the 9th), when their starters can't go more than 5-6 innings

if dice k were good he wouldn't have to labor through over 100 pitches for 5 innings, he s/b going 7/8 innings

let's face it they would have had a better chance with GPK last night than DelCarmen or Hansen , neither one could get an out in the 7th

Watch the games closley - the stike zone gets expanded at Fenway for their pitchers , doesn't happen on the road
Old 07-03-2008, 07:37 AM
Oriental Park

[quote=docicu3]
Quote:
home 31-10

away 19-26

this team is not very goodUOTE]

Yeah they really suck.......the 2 World Series titles in the last 4 years was obviously due to spygate ....
last year or 4 years agao means nothing for 2008

if their bullpen continues to pitch the way they have THIS YEAR they won't be going anywhere
Old 07-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by estreetposse
You've been listening to Mike's BS for way too long...F the Yankees!!!

why such the disparity??? you are playing the same teams at a different venue , you don't think think the ummps give them the outside and inside strike at home vs when their on the road ???
Old 07-03-2008, 07:53 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
why such the disparity??? you are playing the same teams at a different venue , you don't think think the ummps give them the outside and inside strike at home vs when their on the road ???
I don't think so Marty...Umps can be wildly and unfairly inconsistent during a game, but I really don't think they are "homers"..say...like NBA refs
Old 07-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Flemington

Quote:
scuds how are the red sox going to make it when they have no one in the bullpen (besides the guy in the 9th), when their starters can't go more than 5-6 innings

if dice k were good he wouldn't have to labor through over 100 pitches for 5 innings, he s/b going 7/8 innings

let's face it they would have had a better chance with GPK last night than DelCarmen or Hansen , neither one could get an out in the 7th

Watch the games closley - the stike zone gets expanded at Fenway for their pitchers , doesn't happen on the road
Red Sox will make the post. That's all I am saying. Dice has some mechanical problem, right? As long as he isn't hurt, then he will come back around. Teams can look pretty sorry on road trips. Lets see how they look in a couple weeks.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Oriental Park

not this year scuds

beckett isn't lights out this year and the rest of the rotation is avg at best
Old 07-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
tom , if they are going to finally win in the playoffs

they will have to win n the road in a tough spot

remember '84 against the pods???
Scuds does. It was his final Steve Garvey moment.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
not this year scuds

beckett isn't lights out this year and the rest of the rotation is avg at best
Jon Lester is 6-3 with a 3.48 ERA. His VORP is 20.5
Dice K is 9-1 with a 3.12 ERA. His VORP is 16.1
Wakefield is 5-6 with an ERA of 3.72. His VORP is 15.6
Beckett is 7-5 with an ERA of 3.65. His VORP is 18.9
Masterson is 4-2 with an ERA of 3.75. His VORP is 9.2

Explain how this is average?
Old 07-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Jon Lester is 6-3 with a 3.48 ERA. His VORP is 20.5
Dice K is 9-1 with a 3.12 ERA. His VORP is 16.1
Wakefield is 5-6 with an ERA of 3.72. His VORP is 15.6
Beckett is 7-5 with an ERA of 3.65. His VORP is 18.9
Masterson is 4-2 with an ERA of 3.75. His VORP is 9.2

Explain how this is average?

Dice K has not gone more than 7 innings since May 10, maybe he is still hurt , maybe not - but if he can't start going 7 innings or more per start how effective can he be when he goes 5 innings and then you need 3 innings or 9 outs from some people before you get to the closer

Look at his ko/bb ratio and tell me they are happy about that, he won games early when the red sox were scoring in bunches

LEster - not avg at all i'll give u that

Wakefield - i guess the best thing you can say about him is he gets you innings

Matterson - too early too tell , but hasn
t gone more than 6

if you have no middle relief you're starters need to be going 7-8 innings
Old 07-04-2008, 08:45 AM
Del Mar

Gales-

As Yankee fans, we should be above all of this. Come on. This is pure rubbish. Has it really come down to conspiracy theories and umps conspiring to make Boston a winner? Has it gotten that bad?

Its obvious you know a little something about baseball. Claiming Boston can't pitch is absurd...but claiming that they arent a very good team is just a bad opinion. They pitch and they pitch well. No one claims that they are the '71 orioles or the '88 mets but by today's standards they are pretty darn good. lester, their number 3 pitcher, came into the stadium and shut us down last night to drop his ERA to 3.21. When your twenty something year oldn umber 3 has an ERA of 3.21 and is 7-3 you are in pretty good shape. Middle relief is easy to pick up after the all star break and they have a top notch closer.

They get Papi back eventually and with the emergence of Drew and ellsbury, their order looks pretty menacing.

In comparison to the Yanks, they are the better team right now. This is a transition year for the stripes. New stadium next year and lots of money coming off the books. Minor league depth in the best shape since the early nineties and veterans around that can still deliver. In my opinion, if the yanks make the postseason its gravy but if you seriously thought going into the season that this team was Championship caliber, then you are highly optimistic.

Boston, through their inuries, is still right there in the hunt and i would be willing to make a wager that they make the postseason.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Oriental Park

middle relief is easy to pick up you say??

well let's see how easy it is, it ain't going to get better unless there is a significant advantage

Dice K still hasn't gone more than 5 innings in 2 months , if he is your #2 starter how is he going to get any wins when the bullpen with the exception of the closer can't get anyone out

Last night was disappointing not being able to get to Lester, if they could have gotten him out, who knows what would have happened

yanks are ony 4 games back in the loss column, but , if you watch the games closley and objectivly , there is nw way to tell me that the red sox are really that good , they are bad on the road , losing to good teams and bad teams, but ,at Fenway where Beckett and the others get a bigger stike zone they are 31-10
Old 07-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
Gales-

As Yankee fans, we should be above all of this. Come on. This is pure rubbish. Has it really come down to conspiracy theories and umps conspiring to make Boston a winner? Has it gotten that bad?

Its obvious you know a little something about baseball. Claiming Boston can't pitch is absurd...but claiming that they arent a very good team is just a bad opinion. They pitch and they pitch well. No one claims that they are the '71 orioles or the '88 mets but by today's standards they are pretty darn good. lester, their number 3 pitcher, came into the stadium and shut us down last night to drop his ERA to 3.21. When your twenty something year oldn umber 3 has an ERA of 3.21 and is 7-3 you are in pretty good shape. Middle relief is easy to pick up after the all star break and they have a top notch closer.

They get Papi back eventually and with the emergence of Drew and ellsbury, their order looks pretty menacing.

In comparison to the Yanks, they are the better team right now. This is a transition year for the stripes. New stadium next year and lots of money coming off the books. Minor league depth in the best shape since the early nineties and veterans around that can still deliver. In my opinion, if the yanks make the postseason its gravy but if you seriously thought going into the season that this team was Championship caliber, then you are highly optimistic.

Boston, through their inuries, is still right there in the hunt and i would be willing to make a wager that they make the postseason.
A reasonable Yankee fan? You get a
Old 07-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
middle relief is easy to pick up you say??

well let's see how easy it is, it ain't going to get better unless there is a significant advantage

Dice K still hasn't gone more than 5 innings in 2 months , if he is your #2 starter how is he going to get any wins when the bullpen with the exception of the closer can't get anyone out

Last night was disappointing not being able to get to Lester, if they could have gotten him out, who knows what would have happened

yanks are ony 4 games back in the loss column, but , if you watch the games closley and objectivly , there is nw way to tell me that the red sox are really that good , they are bad on the road , losing to good teams and bad teams, but ,at Fenway where Beckett and the others get a bigger stike zone they are 31-10
Middle relievers are always available after the all star break. You dont remember 1996 when the yankees added like four before the postseason including David Weathers and Graeme Lloyd? Most any pitcher can do middle relief and if you cant find a veteran you can always find kids in your own farm system that can fill the role (say isnt there a guy named jobba that did that?).

This magical strike zone is hysterical. Last year (when they win the series!) they had an era of 4.13 at fenway and 3.59 on the road. Did the conspiracy apply on the road last year? Did the powers that be decide to switch the favorable strike zone to fenway this year?

How about the yankees? Do we somehow get a better strike zone on the road? Maybe that makes sense. Maybe they got messed up last night and gave petitte the bad strike zone and gave Lester the good strike zone. I dont know im sure the league can keep track of it.

By the way Beckett has an ERA of 4.32 at home but 3.19 away. Matsuzaka has an ERA of 4.10 at home and 2.15 away. Maybe the umpires dont give those guys the magical strike zone at fenway but give it to them on the road so that we dont catch on.

Come on man. You are making me defend the Sox and it is something i am truly loathe to do. If you want to trash the sox by all means have at it but come out with something better than magical strike zones and shady umps.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Thistley Downs

I enjoy watching Yankee and Red Sox fans fear and loath each other with their false senses of baby crib security.

Last edited by Mortimer : 07-04-2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:37 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer
I enjoy watching Yankee and Red Sox fans fear and loath each other with their false senses of baby crib security, because God knows I have NOTHING to root for since my beloved Injuns SUCK .

FTFY
Old 07-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
FTFY
Fungo stick.

The difference between you and I is....

...AN DON'T CAH!!
Old 07-04-2008, 09:03 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote: