Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-08-2007, 09:39 AM
Woodbine

Default durability list

Interesting list. Would it make sense to breed for durability in this modern age, with the idea that you'll get a lot more races out of your runners, while just shooting to get in the money in light fields? Do you have to always win to turn a profit? And wouldn't you have an edge racing a perennially sound horse?
http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=40655
Old 09-08-2007, 10:08 AM
Hollywood Park

Very interesting list. I don't think you need to win in order to turn a profit, looking at the stud fees for the more durable sires, looks like you could quickly turn a profit. String together a good number of place and show finshes and you are quietly collecting and depositing cash.

If I were in a position to designate the breeding for "my" horse, I would go for durability over precociousness; it seems for others that ego trumps profitablity/durability.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Santa Anita

Very interesting and useful. Thank you very much.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/pdf/Stalli...bilityList.pdf

Last edited by sumitas : 09-08-2007 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Sha Tin

I honestly think that for the most part this is a list full of weak sires of slow horses (the bottom list). The expenses that are incurred in the day to day training are the major expenses, not stud fees. Breeding to most of the list (with a few notable exceptions) will get you a slow horse who may make a lot of starts and lose you a ton of money.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Arlington Park

Happy to see Devil His Due and More Than Ready on that list.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:36 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileyoriley
Happy to see Devil His Due and More Than Ready on that list.
Everybody is on the top list
Old 09-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Yearling

Talking It all comes down to the breeding shed...

If you have a horse sired by many at the top of the list, you have little expectation of whisking them off to the breeding shed early because "there is nothing left to prove"
Old 09-10-2007, 05:11 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowRoll
Interesting list. Would it make sense to breed for durability in this modern age, with the idea that you'll get a lot more races out of your runners, while just shooting to get in the money in light fields? Do you have to always win to turn a profit? And wouldn't you have an edge racing a perennially sound horse?
http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=40655
Zippy Chippy
Old 09-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Aqueduct

I have another take on the durability issue. By no means am I saying that anyone here is wrong in there opinion but here is another twist in the durability discussion.

I have dealt with well over a 1,000 yearlings probably more like 1,500 in the last 10 years. Breaking and training them for the races and sales. And one of the biggest problems I see is that the vast number of horses are what I deem as "Hot Housed" from the time they Are weanlings until they reach the races.

And by Hot Housed I mean a young horse never sees a paddock and is constantly kept in being readyed for another sale. Just take a look at Keeneland today when do you think the last time one of the horses that went through the ring today got a chance to run around in a paddock. I can assure you it was several months ago.

Young horses need to be outside running around playing hard having fun and the number one reason is developing. Young horses now adays don't get a chance to grow up.

Even When we are breaking young horses here at the farm now We bring them in first thing break them train them and then turn them .back out in a paddock.

I have always believed that the number one way to keep a horse sound is to have a great foundation and that starts when they are born.

Round Pen
Old 09-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Keeneland

I like how you think, and wish more would do so - get them out there in big fields, running, twisting, uneven ground and slight hills, developing all their muscle groups (versus being walked and trotted on a machine), developing agility, cardiovascular ... trouble is the risk to investment (obviously there is indeed risk when they get big enough to be fast enough to really hurt themselves and each other, the colts start sparring, etc), let alone risk even a scar.

Very good point about being hothoused since the tender age of being a weanling, though.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 09-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Pen
I have another take on the durability issue. By no means am I saying that anyone here is wrong in there opinion but here is another twist in the durability discussion.

I have dealt with well over a 1,000 yearlings probably more like 1,500 in the last 10 years. Breaking and training them for the races and sales. And one of the biggest problems I see is that the vast number of horses are what I deem as "Hot Housed" from the time they Are weanlings until they reach the races.

And by Hot Housed I mean a young horse never sees a paddock and is constantly kept in being readyed for another sale. Just take a look at Keeneland today when do you think the last time one of the horses that went through the ring today got a chance to run around in a paddock. I can assure you it was several months ago.

Young horses need to be outside running around playing hard having fun and the number one reason is developing. Young horses now adays don't get a chance to grow up.

Even When we are breaking young horses here at the farm now We bring them in first thing break them train them and then turn them .back out in a paddock.

I have always believed that the number one way to keep a horse sound is to have a great foundation and that starts when they are born.

Round Pen
Good point. And if you pile on intensive training to get a lot of them ready for the 2 year old sales after they have been "hot housed" then you should hardly be shocked when a lot of them turn out to have problems. Most of the problems of todays "fragile" horses are man made.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Santa Anita

Talking

Quote:

Round Pen
You are a poster after my own heart...That is why my weanling will not be sold at the upcoming NY sale. I want him to enjoy his youth, run hard, frolic in pastures and when he's a yearling, then he'll be ready for a training environment.

Last edited by sumitas : 09-10-2007 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:09 PM

Round Pen, that was a really interesting post. I had no idea many young racehorses-to-be didn't get any sort of real turn-out after being weaned. And makes perfect sense as to why they'd be so fragile later.

Makes me think of the parallels with human kids and the things that some studies can develop with them if they don't get time to just play outside and be kids (obesity, allergies, etc). Playing is good for lots of young "critters," I guess!

Thanks for the post!
Old 09-11-2007, 01:16 PM
Aqueduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Good point. And if you pile on intensive training to get a lot of them ready for the 2 year old sales after they have been "hot housed" then you should hardly be shocked when a lot of them turn out to have problems. Most of the problems of todays "fragile" horses are man made.
Cannon never has a statement been so true. those were the exact words I was looking for earlier.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Cannon never has a statement been so true. those were the exact words I was looking for earlier.
Just include me in the credits when you write your book.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:33 PM

Yeah, but who doesn't like Demaloot Demashoot?
Old 09-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Bowie

I've written ads for about 50% of the stallions on that bottom list. Guess that means they're cheap But i still love them!

I see Fort Chaffee on there; i foaled out a filly of his - she's up to 42 starts now, and the ONLY one left of my 2000 & 2001 foaling crops that is still running.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:23 PM
Sam Houston

Interesting that they only took stallions with first crops after '95 in this data...Dynaformer would be in the top 10 at about 85 - 86 % runners from foals.