Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Flemington

I am starting to notice a definite trend with who likes/dislikes the synthetic in SOCAL. Mel Stute,Brian Koriner,Baffert, and Headley all work horses fast in the morning.Sometimes,Sherriffs does too. Most of the guys listed as supporting synthetic don't tend to work quickly in the morning. Mitchell,and O'NEILL, Mullins don't usually do that. Koriner has a horse in the 4th tonite that can't win a cheap maiden race, but he worked him in 58'3. Worked faster than 30 other horses (at the distance) that morning. Hasn't done that in other works. Stops at 5f in races. Would appear to have been asked for everything that morning. If he says he never had more horses with foot problems, and other trainers aren't having this problem,then you would think he might not let cheap horses run so fast that time of day. Look at the baby races Stute has horses in.They are working in 46 flat etc.,and can't run much in the afternoon at all. In both situations, they are asking slow horses to run as fast as they probably can.

Last edited by SCUDSBROTHER : 05-09-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowRoll
WHAT??? YOU'RE HIDING INJURIES??? Hmmm...I need to make a note of that for future litigation purposes. (That creative enough for you?)
I think I saw Chuck wearing a band-aid this morning .... maybe.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 05-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowRoll
WHAT??? YOU'RE HIDING INJURIES??? Hmmm...I need to make a note of that for future litigation purposes. (That creative enough for you?)
pretty much
Old 05-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitas
Some incredibly good posts scuds. Well backed up by your sources.
I recall a couple of years ago Shirrefs and Moss were against lowering the length of toe grabs. They won that battle in Cali despite the safety concerns over the length of toe grabs. Shireffs and Moss have an agenda and I don't see much safety in their stance.
The CHRB actually reversed their decision and implemented the toe grab regulation. Whether or not they actually enforce it is beyond me.

As far as Shirreffs' lament with the young horses, I wouldn't anticipate synthetic surfaces to lead to a reduction in stress-related injuries to unraced horses. Those horse's bones still have to adapt to training in a restrictive manner and are thus still susceptable to the same stress injuries (eg shoulder, shin fractures, etc.) all racehorses go through in the early part of their careers, regardless of surface. If anything, you might see an increase in those types of injuries (as Shirreffs suggests) because horsemen might figure that unraced (ie uninjured) horses can be trained harder on synthetics than on conventional dirt.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitas
It's called legitimate scientific data. You all and Shirreffs prefer the old Greek method of who yells the loudest is right.

WRONG
irony, thy name is sumitas.