Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip-Clop View Post
He will make Stay Thirsty the favorite??
....we can only hope.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:50 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysheba4 View Post
....we can only hope.
That might just empty the coffers.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski View Post
Pletcher now saying "critics of Repole for entering and excluding Sway Away should take it up with Churchill or the Kentucky Racing Commission, not Team Mo." LOL. I'd love to know why people flock to give this guy horses. He's Teflon, deflecting everything. I suppose Life At Ten wasn't his fault, either.
I had this same conversation this morning with a friend...

It's a fine line, right? He didn't break any rules, and he effectively eliminated one more horse his other horse has to beat (not that it helps, but you know what I'm saying). On the other hand, there is the sportsmanship component and the "for the good of the game" ... but in black/white, they did nothing wrong.

It's sort of like when the golfers in the US Open fired their drives over another hole to hit the green in one. That night, tournament officials planted a tree off the tee so they couldn't do it, and forced them to use the dogleg/fairway.

Part of me has a hard time pointing fingers at someone who does everything within the rules, the other part of me thinks Sway Away deserves a chance, and the final part of me realizes the handle significance of the move. The answer is somewhere in the middle.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Idlewild Airport

Danthebluegrassman was the same **** by the way.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:57 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

It's not like they pulled a Danthebluegrassman. They had an exceptionally talented colt and waited until the day before the race to declare him from the race. If this were any other race at any other time of the year, nobody would care.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Santa Anita

This sucks. Wanted him in, along with his huge pool of money. I do not want him hurt of course.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
It's not like they pulled a Danthebluegrassman. They had an exceptionally talented colt and waited until the day before the race to declare him from the race. If this were any other race at any other time of the year, nobody would care.
Now you're just trolling.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:14 AM

I take offense to that.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Idlewild Airport

I don't feed trolls. They starve.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:23 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
I take offense to that.
What else could it be?
Old 05-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Saratoga

Does anyone know if they move the 1-17 horses out one stall or do 19 and 20 move in? If they move 1-17 out one stall, the scratch could be huge for Archarcharch's chances from the 1 hole.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:36 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointman View Post
Does anyone know if they move the 1-17 horses out one stall or do 19 and 20 move in? If they move 1-17 out one stall, the scratch could be huge for Archarcharch's chances from the 1 hole.
In, he is still buried.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointman View Post
He stays in the one. They move the horses outside of Mo down one position.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Forget the specific horse that was excluded... Does anyone care to do the financials of what cutting the field to 19 cost the industry in lost handle?

An outrageously selfish act from someone professing to 'love the game'.

Really!!! A completely selfish act, everyone knew he was going to scratch. Even if what Travis thinks is their motivation for one less horse to compete against ST, a valid point, it's a Very, Very poor showing of true sportsmanship and a professed love of the game. That would be a manipulation of the game and the rules should be changed for this type of a situation.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek View Post
LOL, someone at Thoroughbred Times took a photo of the chimney over Pletcher's barn with "White smoke means Repole has reached a decision on whether Uncle Mo will run"

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=1&theater
That's very funny!!!!
Old 05-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Santa Anita

First of all, if Mo isn't 100% I'm glad they scratched him. Obviously it would have preferable for the announcement to have come earlier, but it's some small consolation that he's staying in the barn where he should be. Maybe some day Dr. Allday will be able to describe to us the information that the vets have, and what it did and more importantly didn't tell them. Thinking that the infection was the culprit, treating it accordingly, seeing improvement, but seeing Mo's condition go in the wrong direction when he was taken off the meds -- Pletcher is pretty reticent, but if you've seen him enough you can tell that this has driven him crazy. I wonder how long since he first wanted to call off Mo running in the Derby.

Then there's this one elevated enzyme that, in the absence of other blood chemistry levels which would normally point toward liver, heart, etc. leaves top veterinarians baffled because it alone doesn't point anywhere. The three vets have got to be so frustrated. I'd really like to know where they go next with his diagnosis and treatment, but we likely won't get to hear much about it. I'm not happy with the entry and subsequent scratch, but I'm glad he's not running, and I hope the vets can get to the bottom of his problem and sort it out and get him ready to run this summer. From a purely selfish standpoint I'm glad not to feel like I have to include him in my bets. With his last race at Churchill still fresh enough in my mind, I was going to have a tough time excluding him, even with all the doubts this spring.

That's all I've got, except that it's all about the horse, so get well Uncly Mo.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
What else could it be?
An opinion?
Old 05-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Santa Anita

Never should've entered a horse that's 50/50 for the race because of some weird ailment that wasn't going away, Sway Away or no Sway Away. Then add the injustice of keeping SA out when Mo never should've gone in. Jim Rome asked Baffert about the situation before the scratch, and Baffert stopped short of saying he wouldn't go because said he didn't know what was going on behind the scenes, and he thought Mo'd looked good galloping.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
An opinion?
You're defending him for the sake of defending him. So far your defense is Pletcher is bad too (although he's the one that told him he shouldn't run) and at least he isn't Danthebluegrassman.

It's okay to admit he acted like a douche all week.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
You're defending him for the sake of defending him. So far your defense is Pletcher is bad too (although he's the one that told him he shouldn't run) and at least he isn't Danthebluegrassman.

It's okay to admit he acted like a douche all week.
shouldnt we have DrugS check with the facebook gal to get the real story?